time lapse, 747 redecorated (1 Viewer)

I once saw a time elapsed of an engine change, and possibly an engine rebuild, too. Neat stuff...

Now I wonder if there is time elapsed footage of the building of a Saturn V rocket...

That video there will quickly explain why most airlines are dumping their fancy-expensive paint jobs for much simpler-cheaper paint schemes.

Yes, really.:)

In the first one you referenced, that's a chartered plane and the band paid for the scheme, something they can write off as advertising.

In the second one, even though the articles' focus was special "themed" planes by airlines, these are all onsies and twosies. In Southwest's case, they already have a fairly expensive scheme compared to many. Once again, they can do the themed aircraft because they're considered a "special" scheme, and they can write it off to advertising and promotion on their taxes. Also, in many cases, the special murals pictures and such are, just like race cars, "wraps" that are then clearcoated so they'll stand up to 500+ mph airspeeds.

But let's take the late great Northwest as an example. They used to have planes that were painted red on top, grey in the middle, and white undersides. That was called the "Bowling Shoe" scheme, and they used it for a long time. After airline traffic went to hell in a handbasket after 9-11, they started switching to what became their standard scheme of all white with a red tail, and were seriously considering reversing the red tail with white compass quadrant to white with a red compass quadrant when the brass sold the airline's soul to Delta.

Why?

One word.

Cost.

As I'm sure you know, white is MUCH cheaper to prep for, paint, clean and maintain than most other colors.

Take a look at current schemes for any major airline, including Delta, Continental, British Airways, Air France, even United. They've all moved to white planes with logos on the tail. Even though the United planes still have blue bottom sides, word is that they'll drop even that after the merger is complete and the (all white) Continental planes get a new tail.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back