Thoughts on the FS1 broadcasts so far (1 Viewer)

The whole production seems so rushed, they fly right from finish line to the next pair staged and ready to go. Often the camera needs to pull back and show more of the track/cars. Sometimes they comment on something like a car crossing the lane or getting up on the wall but they're in such a hurry to get to the next pair they never actually show it. Also miss the super slow mo replays they used to show on ESPN.

An overhead cam Boss 429; what a concept! Does it have 4 valves-per-cylinder? Good grief...

The whole production seems so rushed, they fly right from finish line to the next pair staged and ready to go. Often the camera needs to pull back and show more of the track/cars. Sometimes they comment on something like a car crossing the lane or getting up on the wall but they're in such a hurry to get to the next pair they never actually show it. Also miss the super slow mo replays they used to show on ESPN.
Its very rushed,I change the channel when all they do is talk in downtime,there shouldnt be any downtime on nin live events,show the races not the announcers lol

What's funny is how even with all the time he has on the job, nobody calls out all the blatant errors that Dave Reiff makes. I like Dave and think he does a great job. But race after race he just lays some eggs. Twice on Sunday he called the complete wrong winner and started to project out how that person would fare in the next round. These weren't quick slips, the graphics clearly showed who won and Dave was rattling on about the wrong winner. Happens at seemingly every race.

I like Dave and wouldn't want the job nor could I do it. Just thought it odd how people call out the "new guy" but Dave R. gets a pass and he is the seasoned professional.
I wonder how much of it was the ESPN coverage was always recorded and maybe Reiff could rerecord any screw ups.

While better than week one it still reminds me of the productions coming out of our local high schools. Just not worth the effort and time spent watching the broadcast in real time. If I watch at all it is recorded and most of the broadcast goes by in the fast forward mode. Production is way beyond very poor and generally the on screen talent is sub par at best..

JMHO, but if i produced the shows, here is how i would start the show.......commercial, commercial, commercial, commercial,
then a hand held camera just behind the rear wheel of a TF'r as the crew cranks the engine to life, camera walks along car and pans close to engine, driver, sponsor and ends up at front wheels, then car slowly rolls into burnout rite past the camera. change camera to show both TF'rs stopping and backing up, then show entire race, then introduce the show with music and dialogue (quickly) as you are quickly back to the second pair. now wouldn't that get your attention? instead of some boring announcer going blah, blah, blah and you don't see a car
on the track for a minute or two? or more? first round is the best, only chance to see all the cars.....get sum fluff stuff in their after 1st round
and after 2nd round; do a quicker 2nd round with maybe not as many burnouts, then show full start/burnout/race of semis and finals.

While better than week one it still reminds me of the productions coming out of our local high schools. Just not worth the effort and time spent watching the broadcast in real time. If I watch at all it is recorded and most of the broadcast goes by in the fast forward mode. Production is way beyond very poor and generally the on screen talent is sub par at best..
Lol...whatever.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you could take the time slots that Fox is currently broadcasting in, and combine it with the technical production quality and on-screen talent that we enjoyed at ESPN, it would be darn near perfect. Doubt we're ever gonna see that though, so I'm happy to have same-day and live event coverage, even if the talent and production needs improvement.

Lol...whatever.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So am I to gather from your comment that you think the production is good/great and the on screen talent is also good/great? My comment about on screen talent mostly applies to TP. Most of the rest is suitable. JMO and everybody is equally entitled to their own.

My personal opinion is that no matter what they do, someone is going to find a way to come on here and complain. Dammed if they do, dammed if they don't. I sincerely hope the NHRA ignores the whining part, takes a strong look at constructive criticism and forge ahead with their vision for the broadcast. I personally like the sped up coverage. In the ESPN days, it would take an hour and a half to get thru round 1. That is ridiculous. I would prefer 90 minutes be the total length of the broadcast from start to finish. I don't need to see burnouts necessarily, they all suck nowadays anyway. I don't need to see 13 replays of every run where nothing particularly interesting happens. We don't need an interview with every driver after every run, they NEVER say anything interesting anyway. We live in a sped up world. Keep the program moving at a fast pace. Don't involve an entire Sunday afternoon in front of the television. If you got time to burn and you want the fluff around every run, All Access may be more your speed.

I am willing to suffer thru the teething problems at FS1 for the MUCH better and more consistent time slots. The program can only get keep getting better, and it has gotten better IMO.

My personal opinion is that no matter what they do, someone is going to find a way to come on here and complain. Dammed if they do, dammed if they don't. I sincerely hope the NHRA ignores the whining part, takes a strong look at constructive criticism and forge ahead with their vision for the broadcast. I personally like the sped up coverage. In the ESPN days, it would take an hour and a half to get thru round 1. That is ridiculous. I would prefer 90 minutes be the total length of the broadcast from start to finish. I don't need to see burnouts necessarily, they all suck nowadays anyway. I don't need to see 13 replays of every run where nothing particularly interesting happens. We don't need an interview with every driver after every run, they NEVER say anything interesting anyway. We live in a sped up world. Keep the program moving at a fast pace. Don't involve an entire Sunday afternoon in front of the television. If you got time to burn and you want the fluff around every run, All Access may be more your speed.

I am willing to suffer thru the teething problems at FS1 for the MUCH better and more consistent time slots. The program can only get keep getting better, and it has gotten better IMO.
Im sure the sponsors feel the same way with the sped up coverage lmao

Im sure the sponsors feel the same way with the sped up coverage lmao

There is a trade off. Double or triple the ratings -or- multiple views of the car to a smaller audience. In my experience, the sponsors will ALWAYS take the bigger ratings, particularly if you are on a car that goes rounds.

EDIT: As I just posted on another thread, there are always multiple replays across all Fox networks. Right now, I am watching Epping on Fox Sports Prime Ticket. That NEVER happened on ESPN, especially a race that is a couple of weeks old.

Last edited:
Wish they could have continued on fox sports go for the final session since hardly nobody gets fs2. Why couldnt they show pro mod either,again most of that series is on fs2.

I hate just seeing the highlights, for instance, last week had no idea a Ford was competing that week in prostock till Q4, and I could do without the description of a top fuel dragster, funny car etc very show! How'd you like to hear about 3 strikes your out, 4 balls walk, number of bases everytime you tried to watch a ball game, you also wouldn't skip the first 5 innings except for highlights!

It would be nice to watch qualifying but they moved it to FS2, which is... nowhere.

fast fast fast..TOOO FAST!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back