Thoughts on the FS1 broadcasts so far (1 Viewer)

quite a few races into season.....i don't care for tony p....he is not the worst, but mike was so much better. kinda' knew that at beginning of year, but thought i'd give him a chance. it's not even close. IMO bruno massel would pair better with d. reiff.

yesterday the reaction time graphics were really good.
the sound i think is better now than espn too.
bleachers sure didn't look that full yesterday on a sunny summer afternoon @ one of oldest races on tour

I don't think Tony is doing a horrible job, he's not Mike Dunn, but nobody else is, either. Having said that, would it kill him to do 5 minutes of research before speaking? When he said Mickey Thompson's Mustang flopper was powered by a " Boss 429 overhead cam" engine, I about lost it. It might seem minor, but if you're gonna speak about history, it might help to know it. As far as I remember, both the red and blue cars were powered by SOHC 427's, while Mickey's '70 Mustang flopper, the monocoque car was a Boss 429-powered car. Also, Ongias's nickname was "On-The-Gas", not On-Gas. Trivial whining I know, but still...

The time slot is better, that has been my major complaint in the past. I can live with lower quality if it airs at times I can actually see it.

mike got excited, and i miss that. and he knew what he was excited about the split second it was happening; whether someone
not launching correctly, hazing the tires, getting out of the groove, dropping a cylinder, blowing up, or on a record run.
just sayin', i miss him; he was REALLY good as a tv analyst; it's a shame he left nhra.
am happy for increased ratings with afternoon/live scheduling; personally it is more difficult for me to catch the broadcast; usually try
to catch at least the finals if i can.
there is no excuse to ever have to 'accept' lower quality in this day and age of technology.....again, it should be the same quality as espn or better, there is no room for sub-espn quality with any facet of the show.

Tony for sure doesn't talk as much as Mike did. I would say that Mike did something like 50-65% of the talking where Tony only does like 20-30%. I think someone like Larry Dixon would have been a lot better choice, Tony is so dull, and reserved when talking. Tony doesn't bring any excitement to the show like Mike did, or someone like Larry could have.

I don't think Tony is doing a horrible job, he's not Mike Dunn, but nobody else is, either. Having said that, would it kill him to do 5 minutes of research before speaking? When he said Mickey Thompson's Mustang flopper was powered by a " Boss 429 overhead cam" engine, I about lost it. It might seem minor, but if you're gonna speak about history, it might help to know it. As far as I remember, both the red and blue cars were powered by SOHC 427's, while Mickey's '70 Mustang flopper, the monocoque car was a Boss 429-powered car. Also, Ongias's nickname was "On-The-Gas", not On-Gas. Trivial whining I know, but still...

Thank you.
It's not whining when you're right.

The slots for finals are the only good thing. T ped is ok,reiff too. Why do they have to rush threw 1st rd in 6 min,4 min in 2nd round. Show some more racing,less talking,esp what a top fuel funny car and ps cars do by tony. We get it,if we dont we can look it up. To much yapping and not enough racing. Espn did much better on that part. The real only reason ratings are up is bc the timeslots. If espn would have had better time slots they wouldnt have jumped ship.

The spots that Tony does are not aimed at us, the folks who've been following this sport for years, (50 years in my case) they're aimed at the newer and younger viewers who don't know much about the sport. They're walking a fine line, a line between the tyros and the veterans. Not gonna keep everyone happy all the time.

The spots that Tony does are not aimed at us, the folks who've been following this sport for years, (50 years in my case) they're aimed at the newer and younger viewers who don't know much about the sport. They're walking a fine line, a line between the tyros and the veterans. Not gonna keep everyone happy all the time.
Yea but more than once an event it gets old

^^^This^^^

If they cater to us, it'll go right back in the toilet and everybody will be whining about that AGAIN......

The transfer to FS1 necessitates this type of stuff that is mundane to us. A perfect example is in my house right now. My girlfriend says that these things are her favorite part of the show right now, because she "doesn't know anything" about drag racing. She's got to the point where she's so excited about it, she's riding my ass to get my car fixed and back out there. She had never been around drag racing at all, yet she's the one that helped me tear the motor down......... Lol!

Yeah, the ratings are up, primarily because of the time slot; that's a no-brainer. But I can promise you this "elementary" element they've added for the newbs (which FAR outnumber us, by the way) plays a role as well.

Sean D

Sean that's a great story, and we die-hards need to remember that is exactly what our goal should be, to engage and recruit new fans and participants. I can stomach a minute or so of seemingly remedial info knowing that somebody new to the sport may find it informative and exciting.

quite a few races into season.....i don't care for tony p....he is not the worst, but mike was so much better. kinda' knew that at beginning of year, but thought i'd give him a chance. it's not even close. IMO bruno massel would pair better with d. reiff.

yesterday the reaction time graphics were really good.
the sound i think is better now than espn too.
bleachers sure didn't look that full yesterday on a sunny summer afternoon @ one of oldest races on tour
What's funny is how even with all the time he has on the job, nobody calls out all the blatant errors that Dave Reiff makes. I like Dave and think he does a great job. But race after race he just lays some eggs. Twice on Sunday he called the complete wrong winner and started to project out how that person would fare in the next round. These weren't quick slips, the graphics clearly showed who won and Dave was rattling on about the wrong winner. Happens at seemingly every race.

I like Dave and wouldn't want the job nor could I do it. Just thought it odd how people call out the "new guy" but Dave R. gets a pass and he is the seasoned professional.

point well taken about reiff......maybe not all the PSB racers cuz is there anyone who knows more than about 10 of them?
but the other 3 classes aught to have almost immediate name recall......if not i would ask where have you been for the last 15-20 years.
the best was frey who could do pros flawlessly, then sportsmen would pull into lanes and he'd have a story about darn near every one
of them......bob may have been the best ever for instant information recall about seemingly 1000's of drivers.

I don't sweat that stuff too much, when he goofs he quickly corrects it, and I really believe he has tremendous passion for this stuff. He gets amped up, and those are easy in-the-moment little mistakes to make. Kind of like when I confuse my daughters' names, I catch it really quick...:D

The elementary spots that Tony does is getting pretty old. At least have something a little more sophisticated, tech wise, for us more seasoned fans.
The graphics are still crap. Can't tell the difference between a 5 and a 6 on the after run stats. Is this too hard to correct FS1?

. . . The graphics are still crap. Can't tell the difference between a 5 and a 6 on the after run stats. Is this too hard to correct FS1?

Poor run stat graphics are my biggest beef. I know they can be better because I watched the end of the NASCAR coverage just before NHRA and the text graphics were crisp and easily-readable. (FWIW, I do not have HD.)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back