The World's Fastest Indian (1 Viewer)

Bobby

Nitro Member
motorcycle that is....have any of you seen that movie? what a story . great stuff. Anthony Hopkins is amazing as usual.

What's the name of the movie?
I used to own a 1927 Indian and have a great affinity for them.
The last incarnation was built near Alliance airport in D/FW
I wanted to do the tour and watch them build a Chief White Cloud!
I think Ironhorse has the plant now but I'm not too sure!
I know there are custom bikes being turned out and sold like hot cakes around here!
I talked to a guy who builds custom Goldwings with either fuel injection or with a little blower and tons of chrome.
I'm not into bikes anymore , too old ,fat and lazy and have got use to four wheels , air conditioning and Bose Sounds.
I can now do mountain roads without leaning. LOL
I've still got an old Triumph to play with if the need arises.
Come to think of it I dumped that bike on the beach at Port Aransas one time when the engine resided in a custom hardtail frame .
Nah the beer didn't have a thing to do with it.
I had three of them and put the engine back in stock frame cause I had another custom hardtail at the time.
Bikes , cars , custom, race , it's all good far as I'm concerned.

www.worldsfastestindian.com

I wonder how many people missed this movie because of the title. not sure what would have been better but if Sir Anthony hadn't been on the Lettermen show last year promoting it I 'm not sure I would have seen it.

I pictured this to be about chief running deer or something you know..

there is a genuine Native American in the movie - a very cool scene by the way. There's a lot of humor in this movie along with great footage of the salt flats. I really loved this flick.
I think my favorite line was something to the effect of ' i've got my testicles and my spectacles, I 'm ready to go.'

:D

I only saw the movie when surfing Movies.com. They described this Man from New Zealand's attempts to break the land speed record for Motorcycles at Bonneville back in the 60's. When I did go see it, there were two very Drunk Indian males sitting two rows in front of me. I guess they thought the movie was something else!:rolleyes: They got pretty loud so the Theater staff made them leave.

One question though; Why was the 1920 Indian scout so special? Seems like I've heard of that being a very popular model of those Bikes.

Last edited:
now that's a funny story about the Indians in the theatre. they probably thought 'what the heck is this movie' lol.

thanks for that museum web link . good info. my wife fell asleep half way thru the movie, not because she didn't like it, so I put it on again last night for her. I had no problem watching the second half again.

Now I want to go to the flats...just to see it.

Usfra home page

click on the 'Burklands 450mph pass'
it's amazing

The Worlds Fastest Indian is a great movie. It's about living those dreams we all have, almost to the point of "no matter what". Sir Anthony Hopkins nailed it. On the DVD I rented Burt Munro, himself, narrated an extra, which confirmed (in advance) the story told in the movie. I highly recommend this flick for any and all racers, fans, gearheads, dreamers, and doers! Oh, the supporting cast were all great too, from the "gal" who ran the motel, to the old indian man with an interesting prostate remedy (I can relate!), to the ladies Burt met along the way, to the fellow racers at B'ville, who rallied to Burt's cause.
Rent it, buy it, see it, you'll never forget it!

I saw this movie and thought it wonderful. They managed, in my opinion, to catch the flavor of earlier times in hot rodding perfectly.

Even my wife thought it was a great movie. There's something in it for everyone.

A hearty three thumbs up!

(I used to work for the AEC.)

I saw this movie and thought it wonderful. They managed, in my opinion, to catch the flavor of earlier times in hot rodding perfectly.

Even my wife thought it was a great movie. There's something in it for everyone.

A hearty three thumbs up!

(I used to work for the AEC.)

I think they could've done without the Transvestite don't you think? Didn't add anything to the Plot/Screenplay IMO.

I think they were trying to convey a sense of what a 'fish out of water' Burt felt like in America. The transvestite character helped show how far away from home Burt was.

I'm pretty sure the 1919 and up to 1930's were pretty near the same.
I had a 27 scout owned by a Doctor last who made his rounds in west Texas on it.
It was quite neat with a horn-light and the flared fenders and a hand pump to shoot a little extra oil once in a while to the top end.
I sold it cheap with enough spare parts for another engine to a Shriner and it rides next to a 1930 Harley three wheeler that was a mail hauler in all their parades.
I thought that was a fitting home for it.
The shriner's have over the years saved or made a lot of kids lives better. Glad I could help them out!
The guy I bought it from had told me it was a 1917 but since I got it for thirty dollars I didn't complain.
Of course it was in a fallen down barn being torn down so I'm happy it now has a good home.

I rented the DVD about 2-3 weeks ago and initially watched it by myself thinking it would not interest my wife, but she came home and watched the last half of the movie with me and enjoyed it! It has a good enough "human interest" story line to grab anyone that gives it a chance, and I agree with Bob and the rest of you, it was an amazing true story, and Anthony Hopkins was incredible in his role as Burt Munro. I had read about this movie when it first came out in the theatres 3-6 mos ago and heard it was a great flick, but it did not go anywhere, probably due to the the confusing name. Joe, I got a kick out of your experience with the two drunk indians sitting in the row ahead of you, who probably had expected the movie to be about an American Indian, not an Indian motorcycle. Being from Albuquerque, that is probably a common sight, huh? I dated a girl from Gallup, NM many years ago, and she mentioned that the Indian population around Gallup & Alb. had a real problem with alcohol. I'm sure that hasn't changed, sad to say.

Anyway, I highly recommend this movie to all of MaterLand and it should not be hard to find in Blockbuster or any video stores now.

I was talking with my dad on the telephone a few months back and he mentioned the movie. He said that he really enjoyed it even though he is not necessarily a race fan. So while looking through the DVD's at our local Costco one day I came across the movie and decided to take a chance and purchase a copy - and I'm really glad I did. My wife and I both enjoyed the move very much. Anthony Hopkins was excellent.

An excellent movie to tide you over during hiatus!

We saw the movie awhile back also and thought it was excellent. Hopkins was perfect in the role - seldom have seen a movie he was in that I didn't like though. I almost didn't rent it because of the motorcycle aspect only to discover that my better half had heard of it and wanted to see it. (Communication is a wonderful thing...) ;)

Excellent movie and, yup, I got teary-eyed during a couple parts.

Linda
aka Fast455

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back