World's Fastest Mexican?-Back When (1 Viewer)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
Back when, there was a heated debate on who was the "World's Fastest Mexican."

The contender from the South in California was "Flamin" Frank Pedregon driving the Taco Taster coupe and later a more traditional rail.

The contender from Nor-Cal was Frank Martinez. Early on in Martinez's career he was teamed up with Dave Uyehara on the Hustler Junior Fueler, then running a Leroy Jorgenson powered AA/FD called the Wailer.

Martinez won some Nor-Cal shows at Fremont and would occasionally venture down South as well as Pedregon who would once in a while tow North.

There was quite the rivalry on who was the fastest Mexican in a friendly way. Surprisingly as far as I know, not one promoter booked a match race between these 2 cool dudes. In the days of match races, crazy promotions and gimmicks, it is surprising.

One time up at Fremont, Martinez was in the final round against Rich Zoucha. Martinez got the win while Zoucha hurt his hemi, was blessed with a major-league oil bath, and not being able to see. Zoucha swapped lanes and belted Martinez wiping out both cars, drivers uninjured. Some deal.

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Announcer

Frank Martinez was AA/FD and Pedregon was AA Fuel Competition Coupe, so was slower. I know Pedregon could run fairly close to dragsters & also lite the tires on fire. Had a thought. If you go waaaay back to early 1950's, Juaquin Arnett & the Bean Bandits nitro flathead dragster could have qualified for Fastest Mexican title. Trivia: Emery Cook (Cook & Bedwell), a Native American, married Arnett's daughter. $2 please.....

What? Me forget???? heh heh I can't remember where I park sometimes. You know I don't think I realized Frank P drove Winters car. Sometimes cars had a driver of the week. I wish I could remember the drivers from then, like John Batto (sp?) from NorCal. Saw a photo of him doing big wheelie in front motor car. If I see the name, usually remember what car he drove. Usually....

Us geezers can have stuff slip our minds. You mentioned Nor-Cals John "The Sultan" Batto. For a time he ran the Batto, Valente,and Bings car built by Woody Gilmore. That car was one bad hombre out of Santa Rosa.

TopFuel@Lions

Does anyone remember a T/F driver named Cliff Roa? Front engine car, saw him at San Fernando, maybe 1968-69. No one seems to know about him, maybe just ran a few times.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back