The good news is that no one was hurt (1 Viewer)

About 15 years ago, Bob had their Uyehara TAD for sale on RJ I think. I called him about the car, and other things that came up and asked if he could send me some photos. He said sure, and that he only had one set of 7 photos and asked if I could send them back after I had looked at them. Absolutely I told him.

I had 2 sets of copies made and immediately sent them back along with the extra copy and 2 one hundred dollar bills for his time, kindness, and insight.

Unbeknownst to me, he had a meeting with a potential sponsor, and was wondering how he was going to recoup the dinner cost from the previous night. Hoping the sponsorship worked out. The next day, he got those pictures back with that simple 200. He immediately got on the phone and thanked me and was so appreciative and blown away by a simple courtesy, that ended up covering their $175 dinner meeting. Including gas, he noted. For the vehicle I assumed. I told him it looks like he already banked $25 in sponsorship. A reason he called it. A simple thank you on my end. I continue to follow Bob and Josh's adventures and was happy to see them out with that same car again, before switching to TAFC several years ago.

When I saw this yesterday, I was sure saddened. You hate to see this for anyone. I just wanted to recount a story of an interaction with a true gentleman who has never wavered once. Even today.

After seeing the only thing that remained of an entire operation, and lifetime of dedication and devotion. The helmet top is so far beyond Mother Teresa on toast stuff.
There is no way you can explain any of that. There is a reason Bob will say.

I hope they can come back from this, and continue spreading the word, while racing as a Father and Son's team together.

The insurance deal is a real kick to the bean bag.

Those pictures of ash are beyond belief. Yet they want to rise and continue. There is a reason Bob

Last edited:
1603189384741.png

Seriously?

Last edited:
While reading about how he thought that the tow car caused the fire because of a rear mounted battery, I thought, tow car, rear battery....a Chevy HHR has that. I daily drive one. I saw the burned out car in the pics and yup, Chevy HHR. Now I have to check mine to make sure the battery hasn't come loose, as I have needed rear shocks for some time. Put me down as grateful for the story and hopeful that they rise again to race.

I think many fires in trailers are caused by batteries either in the cars or for the trailer lift gates.
Everything in the trailer really gets pounced around and in the case of batteries, they do seem to become loose over time.

Each time you pull over at a rest area or a weight station make it a habit to open up the trailer and take a look around and check things.
I have seen large roll around toolboxes with the drawers hanging out or broken from the rough roads.

Jim Hill

Jim, do the trailers have some type of "air ride" suspension? Just curious, as something like that could help. Whoever designs a shake proof trailer will be rich.....

Jim, do the trailers have some type of "air ride" suspension? Just curious, as something like that could help. Whoever designs a shake proof trailer will be rich.....
Most of the large semi race car haulers have shocks and air ride on the truck and the trailer.

Last edited:

Air ride only does so much...anyone whos been across Louisiana on I-10 knows to periodically check your straps like Jim said 😁

Air ride only does so much...anyone whos been across Louisiana on I-10 knows to periodically check your straps like Jim said 😁
Where were we at when I was following you when you were in the NHRA rig heading east and I called you on the phone and told you I thought you had a tire coming apart and then before you guys could pull over and check it out it went kaboom?

Where were we at when I was following you when you were in the NHRA rig heading east and I called you on the phone and told you I thought you had a tire coming apart and then before you guys could pull over and check it out it went kaboom?
I'm thinking Topeka to Bristol on 70 or 64.

I'm thinking Topeka to Bristol on 70 or 64.
We were in the south somewhere. I'm thinking we were going from Charlotte to Houston and we were just east of Birmingham AL. With a 24 race schedule I'm surprised we remember anything. But I do remember when you got stuck in about a 3 hour traffic jam on the bridge because of an accident in Lake Charles LA and you called me and told me about it just as I was coming up on the bypass so I took that and avoided all of it and then you passed me an hour later when I was sitting in that first rest area in TX watching tv. 🙂

We were in the south somewhere. I'm thinking we were going from Charlotte to Houston and we were just east of Birmingham AL. With a 24 race schedule I'm surprised we remember anything. But I do remember when you got stuck in about a 3 hour traffic jam on the bridge because of an accident in Lake Charles LA and you called me and told me about it and I was just coming up on the by pass so I took that and avoided all of it and then you passed me an hour later when I was sitting in that first rest area in TX watching tv. 🙂
Yeah you're probably right Charlotte to Houston.
I think that incident on the bridge was a truckload of granite slabs that got loose. Sometimes it's amazing we get anywhere with all the road hazards!

On the Road with Eugene & Corey. You could make a TV series out of that. Hello, Motor Trend?

You guys ever watch Hiway From Hell on the Weather Channel? Big rig towing & man they have some hairy incidents. Bet you could ask Shawn Cowie about that.

On the Road with Eugene & Corey. You could make a TV series out of that. Hello, Motor Trend?

You guys ever watch Hiway From Hell on the Weather Channel? Big rig towing & man they have some hairy incidents. Bet you could ask Shawn Cowie about that.
A lot of hotels we stay in have the TV set to weather channel when you power it up; so I have seen that program quite a few times.
I'm always glad when everyone makes it to the next stop safely, as a lot can happen on the highways.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back