Haskett hoping for Gainesville "Deja Vu all over again" (1 Viewer)

Wheels

Nitro Member
The last time Bob Haskett raced a Funny Car at Gainesville Raceway he and then partner Joe Petruccelli scored a runner-up finish to Bobby Woods’ Chevy II in the Nitro Funny Car class. The year was 1969 and the race was the Turkey Trot Nationals. At the time, they were running a big block Chevy powered Corvair bodied funny car called the Super Twister.

Fast forward 43 years and the Wilkesboro, North Carolina based Haskett team returns to the famed Gainesville quarter mile track with a funny car, only this time the fuel is alcohol and the class is Top Alcohol Funny Car. The Firebird bodied car, driven by New Jersey driver Duane Beers will be looking to break into the tough Tire Kingdom Gatornationals field.

“We would love a repeat of 1969 but, with the caliper of cars entered, we know we’ve got a tough road ahead of us. We are on a tight budget and don’t have many spares but we love to compete.” said Haskett. The team spent the winter going over the car with a fine tooth comb and found some areas that needed attention in both the ignition and fuel systems.

For Haskett, racing represents getting to spend time with sons Josh and Jared. Both his sons make up part of the crew along with ex-partner in crime on the nitro car, Joe Petruccelli. Son Jeremy usually drives the race car but work commitments don’t allow for racing at the present time.

For Beers, this week’s race will mark the second time he has competed at the Tire Kingdom Gatornationals and the first time behind the wheel at a National event for Haskett. “I am extremely grateful to Bob Haskett for giving me this opportunity and hope to make him and the entire team proud. I raced with them for the first time at the last Division 2 Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series event in Reynolds, GA last October and had a blast. My goal for the weekend is to qualify and win some rounds, no easy task with the likes of Frank Manzo, Mickey Ferro and John Lombardo entered.” stated Beers.

The team plans on running 3 more National events this year as well several of the Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series regional events.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back