The end of drag racing. (1 Viewer)

As a rabid fan, and a very casual weekend racer my feelings are simple.

I would rather watch a 250 mph 5.5 second run @ 1,320 than a 300 mph 4.0 sec run @ 1,000.

As an employee of a company that spends significant dollars in sports marketing (none in drag racing), I would be extremely concerned about a long term solution that shortened the amount of time my name was being exposed to the fans by 15 - 20 %.

My feelings are that the issue is not the distance of the race, be it 1/8, 1,000 or a full 1,320, but the speed and amount of time the car is under power.

1,000 seems to be the best short term answer, but the NHRA better come up with a better long term solution, or it will end up hurting the sport. imo.

I would rather watch any drag racing than none... am I upset I am paying the same price to sit in the same seats for three days as last year? Nope. Do I feel short changed that I'm going to see about 30 seconds less racing on Sunday? Nope. Am I hopping that Alan Rainhard doesn't bring the R word with him this year? Heck yes!!!! Tickets bought, plans made. and I have front row seats all three days... 60foot on Friday, 330 on Saturday and Sunday.

oh yeah, at Richmond, the stands END at 660 feet...

d'kid

"With out the show, there ain't no business."

Which is a better advertisement for the sport, NHRA and the drivers' trying new things in the name of safety, or televised killings of the drivers? What does it take for you negative people to understand. With out the drivers, there is no show. If the NHRA did nothing, all the owners and drivers had to do is start boycotting shows. Hasn't happened in a long time, but I believe you would have started seeing that. And don't start saying the crap about Sponsorship responsibilities. Yeah, they have em, but there are ways around that especially with a sponsor that is understanding.

I totally agree with what NHRA has done, But I hope this is just temparary.We will still see 300mph runs to the 1000 ft and hopefully not as much engine damage.If they want to slow the nitro cars down, I dont understand why they dont limit them to one mag and one pump. Less fuel volumn means less power.also go back to a dual elemant wing instead of a triple.this will all pass in time, and I think it will still be a good show!

Real die hards like me that are flying across the country to see something other than the gators for a change this year. To see funny cars race at night for the first time since the 1970's.
I mean, they are still going to qualify friday night right?
What race across the country are you going to, Bob? If it`s the Oct. Vegas race you aren`t going to see funny cars at night. There hasn`t been nightime qualifying there for the last couple years. According to nhra.com the last fuel qualifying session on Friday is at 4pm. And we all know there ain`t nightime qualifying at Pomona.

Last edited:
george brings up a good point about sponsorship. i would like to see the attendace for the last 12 events this year, lets see if its up or down, its hard now to get a major sponsor, it might be impossible in the future if attendance is down, we will see, but im betting the sponsors are not loving this, and no sponsors no racing. i want all drivers to be safe . i hope the NHRA works on the shutdown areas soon!

I'd love to hear what DHL has to say about 1000' racing. I am pretty sure every major sponsor would rather see steps taken to insure the safety of their investment. No sponsor wants to get press coverage due to the death of their driver. I would also imagine that the sponsors where consulted in the decision since it directly affects them. Do you think there is any sponsor out there that is going to speak out against a safety measure because it will rob them of 2-3 seconds of air time per race?

I'd love to hear what DHL has to say about 1000' racing. I am pretty sure every major sponsor would rather see steps taken to insure the safety of their investment. No sponsor wants to get press coverage due to the death of their driver. I would also imagine that the sponsors where consulted in the decision since it directly affects them. Do you think there is any sponsor out there that is going to speak out against a safety measure because it will rob them of 2-3 seconds of air time per race?

Absolutely right. Even though there is "no such thing as bad press", I'm quite sure no one in DHL or any other sponsor wants to be seen as callous to the safety of the drivers.

First, I believe these cars are now ticking time bombs, and we have witnessed this too many times the last couple of years. Having said that, I think the 1000 foot drag strip will be the beginning of a long, unmanageable downturn for the NHRA, so I hope this is just a short term option. Can you imagine what a 1000 foot race will look like on TV? Not a lot of excitement to draw sponsorship to an already sponsorship starved sport.
There are many other, better suited options to improve safety. Granted, these other options are not an instant overnight safety measure, and I applaud the NHRA for making this change instantly to insure our drivers are safer tomorrow..
In the 2009 season, I would hope that NHRA takes a serious look at alternative measures, rather than changing the foundation of drag racing itself.

All one needs to do is look back to see what brought us from 5.5 second cars to 4.5 second cars. Aerodynamics, fuel pumps, ignitions, set back blowers. Also, possible limiting CID, shortening up the dragsters, etc. Any limitations of a combination of these technologies would bring cars back doiwn to earth. I wouild also look at a 2 year program and institute a "COT" mandate in our sport. Removing a few of these latest power makers would dramatically slow down the cars, and still allow 1/4 mile distances that our sport needs to stay viable..

Next, I would totally strip away an NHRA event from any track that doesn't provide a mandated shut down area. I think the safety net tracks should have had a "do it or lose it' mandate after the Doug Kerhulas injury in Columbus
Racing at OBTRWP in it's current format should end in 2008.
I hope a solution is found so an afternoon at the track isn't just a 3 second burst of nothing.

In the words of C.K. Spurlock, this is showbusiness. Without the show, there is no business..

This is better than nothing.

I, for one, am getting sick of burying drivers year after year in pointless and possibly preventable tragedies. I applaud NHRA for doing something this time instead of waiting until we lose another driver.

...but it seriously pisses me off when the drivers who strap themselves in to these land missiles and the crew chiefs who tune them are greeted with "pussifying the sport", "returning my tickets", "The end of drag racing" and "Slow the cars down, or lose me as a fan". They are the ones who are risking their lives and who have to wash the blood off their hands when the unthinkable happens. I think I will defer to the experts on this one.

My thoughts exactly... well said, Brent.

Maybe the end for some people, not the end for me.

This post is not aimed at any one particular person. But I haven't seen crying like this outside of the Import crowd. Every excuse imaginable to not go watch or run the next race. Give me a break.

The real racers and race fans are and will continue to be in the staging lanes and in the stands.

Imagine telling any fuel driver that they made a bad decision.

Or imagine that they did nothing - and you lose your favorite driver in a wreck.

Or imagine having to pay the bills to get these cars to the track, and then learn you have to buy new parts just to make the next race.

And remember there isnt enough Nitro to do the testing for the new combinations.(come to think of it - with 1000' there will be well over 25% more)

Then everyone would be up in arms about the cars not all going down the track every run and ruining the show.

I'll still be at Maple Grove this year. I'm sure there will still be Golf or something else on TV.

Last edited:
First of all, you have no idea what 1000' racing is going to look like on TV because you've never seen it. 1/8 mile drags drag huge crowds every weekend all over the country and cars as fast as Pro Mod race on it more often than 1/4 mile.

Maybe you didn't know this, but "bad monster truck drag race at the astrodome" also draw huge crowds, enough to support a huge tour that has already had over 100 events this year.

Do we ditch Pomona? Home of the Winternats and the World Finals? You guys are freaking out about changing the length of the track, I am sure that would go over well. Last time I checked, there are very few tracks built for 330 mph and other than Bruton Smith, no one is really building any more. If changing the race length to 1000' save otherwise perfectly suitable facilities without anyone spending a dime other than paying Jeff Foster to install an extra cone then I am all for it.

Forgive me if I sound condescending, but it seriously pisses me off when the drivers who strap themselves in to these land missiles and the crew chiefs who tune them are greeted with "pussifying the sport", "returning my tickets", "The end of drag racing" and "Slow the cars down, or lose me as a fan". They are the ones who are risking their lives and who have to wash the blood off their hands when the unthinkable happens. I think I will defer to the experts on this one.

You can argue this point until you are blue in the face. I'm just a pragmatist and a realist.
It isn't the drivers, DHL, crew chiefs, NHRA, or the guy shooting t-shirts in the stands who are calling the shots, it's the buying public and the corportations who are courting their business .
If the product isn't entertaining, which I feel it won't be by a long shot, it's history. You are right about one thing, I've never seen 1000 foot racing on TV, and sadly, I probably won't waste my time watching Denver..
It's just not going to be good.

"With out the show, there ain't no business."

Which is a better advertisement for the sport, NHRA and the drivers' trying new things in the name of safety, or televised killings of the drivers? What does it take for you negative people to understand. With out the drivers, there is no show. If the NHRA did nothing, all the owners and drivers had to do is start boycotting shows. Hasn't happened in a long time, but I believe you would have started seeing that. And don't start saying the crap about Sponsorship responsibilities. .

I don't think you can find an arguement. My point is this:
I am hoping for the return of cometitive 1320' drag racing where the cars are back into a managable speed.

Yeah, they have em, but there are ways around that especially with a sponsor that is understanding

Very presumptious.
Look at the list of understanding ex-sponsors and see if they care to re-invest in the NHRA. I doubt they cancelled their sponsorships out of boredom. It's all about ROI, my friend. It's a hugely tough sell to begin with, without a lot of players left out there to invest. Look at Sprint Cup sponsorship situation as of late..
ANY sponsor's needs must be respected, and with the dwindling econmy, I expect to see many more opt out in the next few years if the product on the track isn't attracting a TV audience...

Last edited:
First, I believe these cars are now ticking time bombs, and we have witnessed this too many times the last couple of years. Having said that, I think the 1000 foot drag strip will be the beginning of a long, unmanageable downturn for the NHRA, so I hope this is just a short term option. Can you imagine what a 1000 foot race will look like on TV? Not a lot of excitement to draw sponsorship to an already sponsorship starved sport.
There are many other, better suited options to improve safety. Granted, these other options are not an instant overnight safety measure, and I applaud the NHRA for making this change instantly to insure our drivers are safer tomorrow..
In the 2009 season, I would hope that NHRA takes a serious look at alternative measures, rather than changing the foundation of drag racing itself.

All one needs to do is look back to see what brought us from 5.5 second cars to 4.5 second cars. Aerodynamics, fuel pumps, ignitions, set back blowers. Also, possible limiting CID, shortening up the dragsters, etc. Any limitations of a combination of these technologies would bring cars back doiwn to earth. I wouild also look at a 2 year program and institute a "COT" mandate in our sport. Removing a few of these latest power makers would dramatically slow down the cars, and still allow 1/4 mile distances that our sport needs to stay viable..

Next, I would totally strip away an NHRA event from any track that doesn't provide a mandated shut down area. I think the safety net tracks should have had a "do it or lose it' mandate after the Doug Kerhulas injury in Columbus
Racing at OBTRWP in it's current format should end in 2008.
I hope a solution is found so an afternoon at the track isn't just a 3 second burst of nothing.

In the words of C.K. Spurlock, this is showbusiness. Without the show, there is no business..

AWESOME post!!!!
All nets should have been burned after Dougy's deal!!!!!!!!!!
Hitchman-Sonoma (alky..didnt make the "news"!)
Im Scared shttless of the A/EDs runnin 6.70s at pond duck divisional tracks.

Happy 4th fr. your friends in CANADA!

I don't think you can find an arguement. My point is this:
I am hoping for the return of cometitive 1320' drag racing where the cars are back into a managable speed.

Very presumptious.
Look at the list of understanding ex-sponsors and see if they care to re-invest in the NHRA. I doubt they cancelled their sponsorships out of boredom. It's all about ROI, my friend. It's a hugely tough sell to begin with, without a lot of players left out there to invest. Look at Sprint Cup sponsorship situation as of late..
ANY sponsor's needs must be respected, and with the dwindling econmy, I expect to see many more opt out in the next few years if the product on the track isn't attracting a TV audience...

YEAH..MY friend...HOW about having fun spending your money too!
NHRA treats the supporting sponsors like sht.

IE: August Busch IV drove his FAMILY 5 hours to see KING KENNY run his digger at indy. 5 hrs of "wait and see sht" THEY left for home.

MAKE NO MISTAKE...ALL FACT...
BUDWEISER WOULD NOT BE ASSOCIATED WITH THE NHRA IF IT WAS NOT FOR SHOWING APPRICIATION FOR WHAT KING RACING HAS DONE FOR THEM!
(Alan R...Help pls., ..YOU know its TRUE!

You can argue this point until you are blue in the face. I'm just a pragmatist and a realist. <snip>
If the product isn't entertaining, which I feel it won't be by a long shot, it's history. You are right about one thing, I've never seen 1000 foot racing on TV, and sadly, I probably won't waste my time watching Denver..
It's just not going to be good.
That's sad and funny at the same time. A predisposed vision of what will be is reason enough to not even watch it, but you claim to be a realist at the same time. If you intentionally won't watch it, how could you possibly know what is real?

That's sad and funny at the same time. A predisposed vision of what will be is reason enough to not even watch it, but you claim to be a realist at the same time. If you intentionally won't watch it, how could you possibly know what is real?

Easy, common sense..
The spectator who has never seen drag racing will say "was that it?".
I've seen enough drag races to know what an 8,000 car will look like in 1,000 feet. Ever seen a fuel car in the 1/8th?
I'm sorry, it's going to look interrupted, and I think all realists know it without watching it. Like someone said before me, it'll be like playing the Superbowl on an Arena league field. None of us have seen it, but we all know how silly it will be..

On a almost record run, in either fuel class, just how much racing will be not be contended with a 1000' run? Its not like the cars stop after 1000' feet,
the next 320' will still be worth watching since alot of fireballs and mishpas still happen at that speed and point of the track. The sky is not falling IMHO.
Regarding fan attendance, I do not think this factor will have any impact as
I would think that the first 1000' event and subsiquent events
will have more interest than the normal 1320' just because its something new, and I for one wish I had the ability to watch and see how it all plays out. I cant even see when I am at a race that far down track from where I usually sit because Im just not tall enough to see. I welcome this new start of trying to make racing safer. 330 mph is not safe, but them racing isnt a safe sport and never was meant to be, just trying to race safer is all that is available.
Noone is losing anything with the new idea, its all about trying to "keep".
So which one of you pencil pushers can answer my question? Time wise how much racing will be missed.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back