End of the Year Musings... (1 Viewer)

NiTROhype

Nitro Member
-GREAT to see Antron win in TF. What a great ambassador of the sport.
-Ditto for Beckman. He may have lost his eyebrows for the effort, but hardly a more genuine and likable guy on the tour.
-Capps top end with his daughter said it all. It hurt to see, but in order for there to be winners, there have to be losers.
-I'm done drinking Full Throttle. I needed an excuse to quit drinking the stuff, and now I have it. I'll miss you, Blue Agave, but you were ruining my efforts to get/stay in shape!
-No more Fram filters for me. I support brands that support racers first, the organization second, and if there are no options left then I choose non-supporters. I know Fram/Autolite/Prestone have supported the sport for years, but once you pull the plug, so do I. I'm just one guy, but I vote with my wallet.
-I know lots of you can't stand Paul Page, but I thought it was poor form for ESPN NOT to mention it was his last broadcast of drag racing. I thought he at least deserved a 10 second mention of thanks for his years of service to the network and the sport (unless there were reasons for his departure I don't know about).
-How many canopies will we see in Pomona next time? After Antron's fire, we are all left to wonder if the same had happened to Schu what the results would have been. Scary moment and just glad he's okay.
-B Force in a TFer next season? How long do you think Force will campaign a single car team? I think this is good for the growth of the sport, and I wonder if the longer-range plan is to either add cars or form an alliance of sorts with a Vandergriff or other non- Al Anabi/DSR/Kalitta team. Brittany and Melanie would make for a great 1-2 marketing punch, I think. Money talks though, so I am not getting my hopes up.

Anything else I missed? Wondering who The Don has in mind to take Fram's place for Spencer. I hope they find a partner soon.

tb

Last edited:
I agree that companies should be punished for having had any previous involvement with drag racing.

Well that is one way to look at it, I suppose. The flip side of that is are we expected to patronize a company forever because they used to sponsor a car/driver? Where is the incentive to stick around? That is a marketing guy's dream, sponsor a car, get a lifetime following!
There are plenty of us (myself included) who buy products and services from companys who sponsor and/or support our passion. If Fram leaves, and Brand X filter comes in, now what? Who do YOU buy from? I buy from the company who currently sponsors and furthers the sport I love.
Just my unsolicited .02
Tim

Understood. But if Fran leaves and no one comes in, Fram should be avoided from then on anyway, just to show them.

I don't view it as "punishing" them for pulling out...it is just a good opportunity to switch to a brand the DOES still support the sport. NAPA sells filters. Probably made in the same factory, but still, I feel that my dollars are supporting the companies that support the sport I love.

- how about those low e.t.'s by the harleys yesterday, don't think they were
holding back this season do you? :eek:......what a joke; at least no 200 mph;
but in HD's defense, when you race all season for $75k champion's check,
who really cares, mite as well sell motorcycles and if they do that
for HD then let them win; glad they aren't @ BIR next year.

- really happy to see cruz finally get a win yesterday to 4th place finish :cool:

- brandon bernstein also saving best for last......stopped schu,
championship to antron, first win 69 tries, holeshot win,
tie for 4th place finish; quite a run.

- sparklers going off over champion ceremonies are ridiculous

- traxxas IMO did a hell of a job promoting their brand in 2012

- espn production of nhra nat. events should consider working with les
mayhew - that man could make baseball seem exciting.....and his video
skill around the dragstrip speaks for itself

Last edited:
Couldn't agree with you more Toby, on all accounts. I wondered what would have been the outcome of those flames with the enclosed cockpit, it certainly would have been a test. PP should have been given his due. One thing... it's heart rending, gut wrenching (sorry man, I'm a retired copy editor). :D

-

-I know lots of you can't stand Paul Page, but I thought it was poor form for ESPN NOT to mention it was his last broadcast of drag racing. I thought he at least deserved a 10 second mention of thanks for his years of service to the network and the sport (unless there were reasons for his departure I don't know about).

-How many canopies will we see in Pomona next time? After Antron's fire, we are all left to wonder if the same had happened to Schu what the results would have been. Scary moment and just glad he's okay.

I though Paul would have gotten some parting remarks in as well, and was surprised no one said a thing. I thought that was pretty poor on ESPN's part. Contrary to some here, I liked Paul and thought he did a fine job.

If Antron had an enclosed canopy, then he would have had an internal extinguisher system to trigger, and might not have been burnt as much. Just a thought.

I noticed as the race moved on, Antron lost the "mittens" and put gloves on instead. I also wondered how sore his hands were after all the high fiving that went on when Brandon beat Shue.

I gotta admit the F/C and T/F races did come down to the wire, and it was pretty interesting to watch and see how this all played out at the final race of the year.

Jim Dunn destroyed three different bodies, and from the interview, for three different reasons. He must have a sizeable carbon fiber bill this year.

Last edited:
I sat at the top end bleachers and as usual, I was wearing my NAPA colors. Later, a huge contingent of Beckman fans sat near me. I caught a bunch of crap from them. It was fine, I like rivalries.

But anyways, after I went to get a burger, I moved to the next section over. Then, a huge contingent of NAPA fans sat down nearby. The semi was massively intense. This is why I love this sport. Fans that invest their heart, their soul, and everything, into their favorite teams.

After the semi, we were all stunned silent. NOT ONE WORD WAS SAID. On the big screen, they showed Ron and his daughter hugging. We were all just devastated. Tears were shed and gd damn it it hurts. Drag racing is a humbling sport.

But we are going to keep cheering and keep supporting EVERY round no matter what. Through sacrifice, tears, blood, and sweat. However long it takes and then some, we are going to keep fighting and cheering and supporting.

I can't wait for the 2013 Winternats to get the fight started again.

Last edited:
I sat behind a lady who has a John Force signature tatooed on her left shoulder. I've encountered her many times in Pomona, usually on Thurs. or Fri., wearing a tank top no matter what the weather. She sits in the GA stands where she hopes JF will end his burnout. When Beckman was determined the champion she had tears running down her face, and they were tears of joy. If my boy can't win it...

Couldn't agree with you more Toby, on all accounts. I wondered what would have been the outcome of those flames with the enclosed cockpit, it certainly would have been a test. PP should have been given his due. One thing... it's heart rending, gut wrenching (sorry man, I'm a retired copy editor). :D

D'oh! Fixed it. You need a job? I publish a regional sports magazine and my wife runs a publishing company. We are always looking for skilled folks to catch my gaffes :)

Don't worry Toby, Full Throttle is going away ... as in it will no longer exist. Coke is putting all of their eggs in the NOS Energy Drink basket. And I agree that Blue Agave was the best flavor by a mile. I will miss it.

I am still digesting all of yesterday's events ... that Top Fuel final still has my head spinning. I couldn't imagine losing a World Championship on hole shot, by .008 of a second ... especially when you cut a good light.

I will see your point about Paul Page and raise you Bob Frey. Mr. Frey has meant imminently more to drag racing than Page ... a career retrospective on Frey would have been great. At least Stat Guy got to say a few words about Bob ... and Fast Jack gave both guys a shout out after the Second round win. It will be weird at Pomona 1 next year and Bob Frey will be in New Jersey.

Tip of the cap to Mike Salinas on his first round win!

Great job by Cruzer and Courtney Force.

Brittany won't be a 1 car team for long ... Megan McKernan is my prediction for the second seat (currently racing Jerry Darien's A/Fueler ... and daughter of an AAA big wig). 1 car teams are tough sledding and Papa John knows that, he will get Brittany help.

So happy for Allen Johnson. Hard work and perseverance pay off with the big trophy and the big check. You could see when he won it, all he thought of was the people who helped him get there and how much it humbled him. He is a great ambassador for the sport, and will be a great champion.

What a year by Erica Enders!!! I hope they can keep it rolling in '13 and get Dave Connolly out there full time.

Lastly, somebody, anybody get Jeggie's engine program a little help. We need him duking it out up front with the other Pro Stock hitters.

I heard a blip on Paul Page Retiring. I even shut off my Comadore 64 so I couldn't see or hear anything about the Final/ Finals! ESPN2 did a good job, and even cut into NASCAR's Show afterwards (@ 4 mins.) I was blown away by the lack of interviews from the winners/loosers, ie; Courtey, Neff, Robert, EVEN John...
It was all about the Champions! That was a breath of freash air!
So, why pick on Harley Davidson??? Your cycle can't run da' #'s??? Buy American!

I don't view it as "punishing" them for pulling out...it is just a good opportunity to switch to a brand the DOES still support the sport. NAPA sells filters. Probably made in the same factory, but still, I feel that my dollars are supporting the companies that support the sport I love.

Actually NAPA filters are made by WIX, a high quality filter and both NAPA and WIX sponsor funny cars. NAPA obviously, and WIX has been an associate on the Pedregon cars.

I refuse to get Fram filters because they're leaving Massey in the lurch, and I won't buy Wix just because they sponsor the Pedregon's.

So, what's a good filter to get? ;)

I refuse to get Fram filters because they're leaving Massey in the lurch, and I won't buy Wix just because they sponsor the Pedregon's.

So, what's a good filter to get? ;)

Guess you're left with Donaldson... find yourself a good fleet supply house.

Last edited:

The on-board fire system and fresh air system would have taken care of everything.

The on-board fire system and fresh air system would have taken care of everything.

I don't think he would have needed the on-board fire system in the canopy car ... the nitro and then the subsequent fire would have never gotten into the cockpit in the first place.

Or, I could be wrong.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back