End of the Year Musings... (1 Viewer)

Mr. Brooks I agree, we should all vote with our wallet, and support those that support our sport.

Erica had a GREAT year...
Dave C. needs a top notch FULL TIME ride...
I love the Brittney / Melanie JFR Top Fuel combo idea...
I'm guessing half the field at Pomona 1 will be canopy cars...
Congrats to the champs, and runner-ups...

nhra needs to re evaluate their fire suits....

Bob Frey has been so great for so many years in the booth, I was hopping they would bring him down the return road so we could give him a standing O, for all his years of hard work. Not having a chance to give him some props was a major mistake by the NHRA.
The fans in the stands are the one who have benefited from his humor and insight over the years and we needed a chance to thank him.

Bob Frey has been so great for so many years in the booth, I was hopping they would bring him down the return road so we could give him a standing O, for all his years of hard work. Not having a chance to give him some props was a major mistake by the NHRA. The fans in the stands are the one who have benefited from his humor and insight over the years and we needed a chance to thank him.

I wouldn't be so quick to judgement. Bob may have very well put the ixnay on that idea. Not everyone likes that sort of thing. Some people like to make a quiet exit when they retire.

Last edited:
Bob Frey has been so great for so many years in the booth, I was hopping they would bring him down the return road so we could give him a standing O, for all his years of hard work. Not having a chance to give him some props was a major mistake by the NHRA.
The fans in the stands are the one who have benefited from his humor and insight over the years and we needed a chance to thank him.

I refuse to speak to Bob anymore because he left NHRA. I support only those who support the sport.

I refuse to speak to Bob anymore because he left NHRA. I support only those who support the sport.

C'mon man, that's a cheap shot. All I said was that if a sponsor leaves the sport, I look to switch allegiances to a company that does. No hard feelings at all on my part, and in the grand scheme of things I realize it probably makes zero difference.

One of the things NHRA pushes is that its fans are more brand-loyal than any other sport or motor sport. As it was said on here previously, if a company chooses to sponsor for a year or two or ten and pull out, that's their prerogative. However, what is the benefit for a competing brand and why would they even bother to enter the sport if everyone is brand loyal to someone or something that isn't even involved anymore? They have to recognize that there is value in coming aboard, otherwise their marketing dollars are wasted.

I should have kept my mouth shut about the whole Fram deal. There are plenty of folks on here that make fun of brand loyalists, but my business can't afford a cash outlay to support a pro team. I do give of my company's time and talents to one pro team in exchange for a sticker placement that is off the car more often than on. That and brand loyalty is my way of feeling like I am adding value to the NHRA brand. And if we all did it, there's no doubt it would add value. So you don't. That's cool. It is a free country...at least for now.

Fram, Checker, Copart, fill in the blank company aren't going to notice any difference if I am the only one that does it. But I guarantee you this: if every NHRA fan switched brands from Fram, some bean counter in corporate wouldn't take long to overlay the decline in sales corresponding directly with the day they pulled out and they'd realize that a dollar spent at DSR is a dollar well spent. And they'd be back. If marketing isn't going to directly or indirectly influence sales, then why should they waste the money to do it in the first place?

Registered member said:
If you can't see the lack of veracity in that remark, given that the "American" Harleys have to be given a HUGE advantage in the form of a displacement increase over the Jap bikes, just so they can win, then you need to go back and study your elementary physics and math 101.

It's like allowing a 900 cubic inch flathead Ford engine to compete in Pro Stock; if you give them enough cubic inches, no matter how poor the engine design, they'll be competitive.

When Harleys pull the same amount of weight per cubic inch as the 4-cylinder motors, and WIN, they will finally have someting to brag about. And, pigs (well, "hogs") will fly.

Until then, it's apples and oranges. in PSM....

What other eliminator in Professsional Drag Racing racing has such a skewed, (handicapped) system?

None.

It's unique, and not in a good way. What they have now, is exactly like allowing somebody to build a 750 cubic inch Pro Stock American Motors (AMC) engine to compete against everbody else's 500 C,I,D. motors, at the same weight.

Ridiculous. And, nothing to brag about when they eeke out a win against the other bikes that pull so much more weight-per-cubic inch.

It's not racing; it's just show biz for NHRA, and the usual ethical considerations (parity through consistent specifications) that adorn other Pro categories are nowhere to be found...

I don't see where celebrating a "win" under such conditions is cause for much elation, when you examine the circumstances under which it occurred...

I'm as full of pride for our country as the next guy, but in this case, the Emperor has no clothes... sorry.

My 2-cents...

Bill, in Conway, Arkansas

I don't view it as "punishing" them for pulling out...it is just a good opportunity to switch to a brand the DOES still support the sport. NAPA sells filters. Probably made in the same factory, but still, I feel that my dollars are supporting the companies that support the sport I love.

Yes....sponsor the companies that are out there!

Im sure Bob will be in the stands at a few races next season and will get a standing ovation each time he walks up to take his seat.

Cant believe there was no tribute to him at the track or on ESPN but it was probably at his request.

What was his last words over the PA?

D'oh! Fixed it. You need a job? I publish a regional sports magazine and my wife runs a publishing company. We are always looking for skilled folks to catch my gaffes :)

The editor of a now defunct tech magazine gave me the title of "copy editor from he!!", in case you still need one.

Last edited:
Im sure Bob will be in the stands at a few races next season and will get a standing ovation each time he walks up to take his seat.

Cant believe there was no tribute to him at the track or on ESPN but it was probably at his request.

What was his last words over the PA?

"I want to thank everybody. It's great to be Bob Frey."

Brandon Bernstein has beat Schumacher three times this year by holeshots. Wish the team would have gotten more airtime after the race, like they usually do.

Perhaps Paul Page isn't leaving afterall. Would explain why there was no mention on the air.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back