Post by my Dad, Rick about 1000' racing (1 Viewer)

Thrill

Nitro Member
My dad Rick isn't registered, but this is a long post for him if you've ever seen him type...

Proactive! No one has talked about the next crash, 1000 foot seems to be the smartest thing to do. I have talked about this for a year or so. Who's friend or love one is going to be next! Every one is talking about Scott and rightfully so, my prayers are with him. But the next time! Proactive would be a 1000 foot or what ever it takes to keep speeds below 300 mph. NASCAR went from big motors to small blocks when speeds got ahead of safety. They didn't consider what the fans thought. A topfuel car going 300 mph the wing puts somewhere around 6000 pounds of down force and the front wing? The engine making around 8000 horsepower the clutch won't give, the track's got teeth, the tires are glued down. Everything is at it's limits. If there is an undetected crack in the chassis or wing stand or wing, if the tire hits a dzus button on the track. My hats off to Goodyear for making a tire hold up to the load. But the difference between 300 mph and 340 mph has to be at man and machines limits.
I have been in this sport for 40 years and always wanted and expected my son to move up to the fuel ranks but not now if NHRA doesn't get control of the limits of man and machine. The shut down area needs improvements, sand trap and catch nets but a look back and a look forward is needed. A look at the chassis and wing strut failures, the tire limits. I think the TRUE drag race fan would rather see a 1000 ft. 1/8 mile or 330 ft. race, than baskets on the safety safari trucks to pick up the pieces.
This post is not without passion, I have strapped in friends and loved ones and watch lifeflight haul them off. I don't blame NHRA, WE ARE NHRA.
Rick Hanna

Will.... your dad and my pop share the same concerns. As they know, this sport is our Passion... They introduced it to us, and they gave us all the knowledge from Whipping down tires, to 1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2..... Eventually we decided that TUNING and Writing about this sport was not where our HEARTS were... The Driving seat... That's what we wanted to do. We did it, and we have done it well!!! And proudly suit up every time. My Dad and I talked before his trip to Alaska about the need for slowing these cars down, and how the NHRA needs to listen to those who know.... THE MEMBERSHIP!!!!! The people like AA/Dale, Jim Head, Bill Miller, and others who not only are the people who helped make these cars get to 330, but know how to slow them down as well.

My dad always told me that before you GO0000.... you need to SLOWWWWW.... Meaning the most important thing on your car is the TOOLS that help it slow down. Not GOOD Brakes.... GREAT BRAKES....! Not a Good Chute, BUT MANY GREAT CHUTES...! Give your Dad a pat on the back for raising a good kid (1), and for his contribution here as well!

See ya on the Field Soon Will!!!

Timmah

Excellent post Rick/Will. There are things that need addressed, and now not later is the time to do it.

Tell your dad thanks for his input. :cool:

Rapid

Wonderful post Will, I've thought for years that these cars were pushing their limits beyond reasonable doubt.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back