THAT TIME LARRY MINOR TRIED TO LURE DALE ARMSTRONG AWAY FROM KENNY BERNSTEIN (1 Viewer)

George,
You are correct about them trying to never making a single run. I was at Indy one year and the other car broke on the burnout, Kenny made a single after the run I told Dale I heard the car shift two times, Dale said to me NAW. I said Dale don't BS me I heard it. He laughed.> (the first lock up clutch) LOL
Larry Sutton---Lions Starter
Always heard that story, the jig was up!

George,
You are correct about them trying to never making a single run. I was at Indy one year and the other car broke on the burnout, Kenny made a single after the run I told Dale I heard the car shift two times, Dale said to me NAW. I said Dale don't BS me I heard it. He laughed.> (the first lock up clutch) LOL
Larry Sutton---Lions Starter

Dale worked with Lanny and Tony Miglizzi (spelling?) for the first lock up clutch. I remember the device to engage the secondary and tertiary arms being on the side of the clutch can. So I wonder when the clutch canon came along. Was the Bob Brooks and AFT that did that? Now there are several clutch canon manufacturers. A JFR crew member once told me that JFR had made their own clutch canon. Johnny West of Wesco Fabrication has one, and so does Automan. Oh, so much cool technology in fuel cars.

I was at then Firebird one year when they did Pro testing. Force came up to make a run and I could hear the motor & it sounded like it was shifting several times. Had never heard that before and it made a big impression on me. What also made a big impression is that Force ran a 5.34 ET, which was the quickest ever at that time. The technology has just gone to the moon. How many years have teams been running the same length chassis and a 14:71 blower and look how quick the cars are running. Not to mention a blown hemi on nitro goes back to the mid 1950's, OHV engines. Always wonder how cars would run today with a DOHC design & maybe even twin turbos. That will never happen, but ya gotta wonder.....

AJ's Power just did'nt go away....
I don't think it's a question of power. Most of the tour regulars probably have the same power, I think as cliche as it sounds, it's really about the whole setup, including as others have mentioned, the chassis.

I don't think it's a question of power. Most of the tour regulars probably have the same power, I think as cliche as it sounds, it's really about the whole setup, including as others have mentioned, the chassis.
Been saying that all year .... Still wonder if AJ will be back with Kallita. Have not not heard anything to the contrary.

as long as we're talking about crew chief innovations.........what about 'setback' blowers?, or at least the humble beginnings, who was first to attempt to move air differently
through intake? ........ always thought it was maybe kloeber and prudhomme? or maybe armstrong did? before the blower was noticeably 'set back'.
what did kloeber do at '89 nationals to dominate by over .10?

as long as we're talking about crew chief innovations.........what about 'setback' blowers?, or at least the humble beginnings, who was first to attempt to move air differently
through intake? ........ always thought it was maybe kloeber and prudhomme? or maybe armstrong did? before the blower was noticeably 'set back'.
Def like to see kloeber back

I think it was Austin Coil that first did the set back blower as we know it. There was an article posted on this forum a few years ago about its invention, but I can't find it.

EDIT: found my post about it with a link, but it's a dead link now

http://www.competitionplus.com/04_15_2004/setback_blower.html

@Bobby Bennett - any idea where this went?

I think it was Austin Coil that first did the set back blower as we know it. There was an article posted on this forum a few years ago about its invention, but I can't find it.

EDIT: found my post about it with a link, but it's a dead link now

http://www.competitionplus.com/04_15_2004/setback_blower.html

@Bobby Bennett - any idea where this went?
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Austin Coil invented the first blower dyno. He also built a fuel pump test bench. Here's a link to a long article that also talks about a intake manifold he designed. https://www.motortrend.com/news/the-life-and-times-of-funny-car-tuner-austin-coil

Story I heard about Prudhomme. They discovered that the hi-helix 14:71 blower case was better than the regular 14:71 case. Had to do with the "triangular discharge" opening on the intake manifold, I think. Anyway, it gave the team an advantage until the info was leaked. I don't think it was a set back blower & this is years ago.

Speaking of blowers and Armstrong, I remember hearing he was developing a 2 speed blower, but NHRA killed it before it ever had a chance.
I remember an article about that back in the 1980s. Can't remember which magazine, but they had a photo of the blower transmission. If I recall, the blower transmission was mounted off of the crankshaft. The magazine I saw it in might have been SS&DI - was sad to see that magazine fold.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back