Farewell Kenny Bernstein (1 Viewer)

If I am correct, Brandon is in no way left without a ride, Didn't they sign a 3 year extension at Dallas? All this means is Brandon owns himself now?

You obviously did not read the article.

To quote a few lines:

“Copart was supportive of our decision and we’re very grateful to CEO Jay Adair and President Vinnie Mitz for giving us their blessing and allowing us to step away from the sport,” continued Bernstein. “The Auto Club Finals at Pomona this past weekend was our final run.

“There’s certainly a great deal of sadness in coming to terms with the end of an era and some concern about whether or not you can run a life at 300 mph and then come to a sudden stop, but Sheryl and I gave this a tremendous amount of thought before we came to our final decision. Brandon was also a part of the decision-making process and we are going to do everything we can to help him find a position with another team...."

You obviously did not read the article.

To quote a few lines:

“Copart was supportive of our decision and we’re very grateful to CEO Jay Adair and President Vinnie Mitz for giving us their blessing and allowing us to step away from the sport,” continued Bernstein. “The Auto Club Finals at Pomona this past weekend was our final run.

“There’s certainly a great deal of sadness in coming to terms with the end of an era and some concern about whether or not you can run a life at 300 mph and then come to a sudden stop, but Sheryl and I gave this a tremendous amount of thought before we came to our final decision. Brandon was also a part of the decision-making process and we are going to do everything we can to help him find a position with another team...."

I know I can read, but your not getting what i'm saying....They signed a 3 year deal dallas of 2010, i was there, I know it happen, Kenny may be done, but it's not explaining if copart is done, if Brandon would own, or if he's going somewhere with copart. It's a 3 year deal, they got 2 years left, I cant see how all parties invovled are throwin away a 2 year deal

Patrick, re-read these two quotes from the article..... especially the bold parts. I think you may find the answers you're looking for.
We’re very grateful to CEO Jay Adair and President Vinnie Mitz for giving us their blessing and allowing us to step away from the sport,”
This tells me that Copart let Kenny out of his contract.
Brandon was also a part of the decision-making process and we are going to do everything we can to help him find a position with another team...."
If Kenny is looking for a spot on another team for Brandon, I suspect that means Brandon is not going to own his own team.

As a lifelong Bernstein fan, it has been a fun ride. Congrats on retirement and I hope Brandon is able to find a ride with another team.

Kenny will be missed. First over 300, first to win the title in both nitro categories, and for setting the bar for how to cultivate and maintain sponsorships. Enjoy your well-earned retirement sir.

Patrick, re-read these two quotes from the article..... especially the bold parts. I think you may find the answers you're looking for.

This tells me that Copart let Kenny out of his contract.

If Kenny is looking for a spot on another team for Brandon, I suspect that means Brandon is not going to own his own team.

You guys keep pointing out that I need to read the article. Enough about the article I can read I did read. Am I not allowed to wonder anout what the article does not say? I guess Brandon does not want to be an owner although it's all possible, it is also never EVER clear even in what you guys highlight, copart is ok with him walking away. It never addressed:

1. is copart is going to leave Brandon or stay with him as he tries to join another team,
2. If copart leaves Brandon, are they out for good or will another team inherit the 2 years left on the contract?

So will everybody stop telling me to read and realize I am trying to connect the dots that are not written. Usually people dont walk away on an active contract in drag racing.

I should have a podcast interview with Kenny posted on rpm2night.com later this afternoon. He is travelling, so we're working on the logistics right now. I will let you know when the interview is available for listen or download.
JK

So will everybody stop telling me to read and realize I am trying to connect the dots that are not written. Usually people dont walk away on an active contract in drag racing.

Patrick, you need to calm down a bit. Just because you want Brandon to be a team owner/driver with Copart as a sponsor doesn't mean it will happen. It is what it is! (even though I hate that saying)

Kenny and/or Copart doesn't owe you or anyone else a detailed explanation about the decision that has been made. The article clearly states that they are looking for a spot on another team for Brandon (keep in mind they never specified a DRIVING position) and also that Copart let Kenny Bernstein racing walk away from the sport.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe the Copart deal wasn't really that great? (money wise) Maybe KBR couldn't put a competitive car on the track with Copart money? Maybe the Copart money will end up with another team? Maybe Copart decided to pull out of NHRA altogether? Maybe Brandon doesn't want to be an owner? Hell, maybe he doesn't want to be a driver anymore? There are too many variables at this point for an outsider to speculate.

This deal about Bernstein leaving drag racing just became public yesterday. I'm sure more details will come out as time goes by.... just give it a while!

Patrick, you need to calm down a bit. Just because you want Brandon to be a team owner/driver with Copart as a sponsor doesn't mean it will happen. It is what it is! (even though I hate that saying)

Kenny and/or Copart doesn't owe you or anyone else a detailed explanation about the decision that has been made. The article clearly states that they are looking for a spot on another team for Brandon (keep in mind they never specified a DRIVING position) and also that Copart let Kenny Bernstein racing walk away from the sport.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe the Copart deal wasn't really that great? (money wise) Maybe KBR couldn't put a competitive car on the track with Copart money? Maybe the Copart money will end up with another team? Maybe Copart decided to pull out of NHRA altogether? Maybe Brandon doesn't want to be an owner? Hell, maybe he doesn't want to be a driver anymore? There are too many variables at this point for an outsider to speculate.

This deal about Bernstein leaving drag racing just became public yesterday. I'm sure more details will come out as time goes by.... just give it a while!

Yea I buy everything you said. I don't need to calm down, i'm not upset.

Can't you guys speculate on the future in a "Whats BB or Copart going to do" thread and just leave this one alone for Kenny?

It's a real shock for him to leave so abruptly. I guess he did have his farewell tour in 2002 but still. I understand he doesn't owe anyone anything and that's fine. Hopefully he reads this and knows how many fans he still had out there even as an owner. The 300mph accomplishment is really something that we'll never see again.

It's a shame that at the end of the year guys like Kenny, Prudhomme, Amato, Hill, etc.. just run their last race never to return, no matter what the reason.

Kenny has done a lot of great things including making some very nice donations to our benefit car shows. I wanted to thank him in person but since I didn't run into him at Pomona I want to thank him now.

Thanks Kenny for all you have done for the sport and for our events. It's truly appreciated.

Last edited:
King Kenny has been a fixture in the sport. Really hate seeing legends like him, Snake, and others leave the sport. I think back to some of the great moments KB has given us ... 300 MPH, first world champ in TF and FC, the "Batmobile," the originator of the sponsor-laden interview, etc. Best wishes Kenny.

God Bless you Kenny - one of the giants in this sport.
Sad to see the abrupt leave without the long goodbye (yes, I know, he doesn't owe me anything!).

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back