Farewell Kenny Bernstein (1 Viewer)

Kenny being what it is I must say farewell on a fantastic career. You helped the sport prosper first. Thanks for all you have done. You don't owe anyone anything.

This is a huge bummer, but I am happy for them that they can now relax and enjoy life to the fullest.
Kenny, you did so much for drag racing. Thank you so much. Please come visit the sport once in a while.

Does anyone know if KB still has the Clydesdales that AB gave him a few years ago at Pomona? That was a really really incredible gift and a moment I won't forget.

The King Of Speed

You know, I have to say this isn't such a shocker for me. I'd always sensed that Kenny wasn't all that happy standing at the starting line with someone else driving, even if it was his son. In fact, to me, he looked absolutely miserable the first year Brandon was driving.

But, that's all over now. I sure am going to miss his presence in the sport, and want to send my hearfelt best wishes for a happy retirement.

The King Of Speed has retired. Long live the King!!!

guess there is an upside to the niche' sport of drag racing - an iconic figure
can slip into retirement somewhat unnoticed by the general public.....
until kenny is making a putt on 18 to shoot a 68 and some knucklehead yells,
"hey, you're john force!" :eek:

best wishes to kenny and cheryl ...thank you for the memories
and achievements.

Thank You Kenny for all the memories. The business class you have brought to this sport is unmatched. Thank you for the your leadership to bring NHRA drag racing to the professional level it enjoys today.

Kenny, thanks for the memories. I've followed you since the Engine Masters days and loved your return with the Chelsea King Arrow funny car. Gonna miss your smiling face, and dang I wish Brandon had not gotten hurt when he did. He lost a lot of momentum back then, and he was just climbing the ranks with leaps and bounds before that. You have been GREAT for the sport and will be missed. Enjoy your time away with Cheryl and do some of that traveling and relaxing we all need.

Kenny is and will always be a giant of our sport. Im saddened by his departure but totally understand how he and Cheryl want some time to themselves after all these years of running around the country.
My fav memory of KB is not in the car but one hot hot sunday at Englishtown around 1990. I was walking in the pits and there was Kenny with a broom in his hands sweeping around his pit area. one of the most successful drivers at the time. And i said to myself, thats what it takes to be the boss. You gotta do anything that needs to be done!!!! No prima donna stuff just hard hard work.
All the best to you Kenny and thanks for the memories:)

In the 80's, there was always this "aura" that engulfed the Bud King pits, like you were around greatness that only presented itself under the Bud King canopy.. The car "sounded" different from any other fuel car on the circuit at the time.
When the King rolled to the line, and those guys were on their usual "game", you knew that this was the most advanced team at the track, and Kenny & Dale were about to take control again, and there was absolutely nothing anybody could do about it... The pit was run with military precision and respect. The owner was always the measuring stick of class.

IMO,
Kenny is the best the NHRA has ever had the pleasure to be associated with, period. It's a long way to figure out which team owner is second.

For a guy who left drag racing in the early 70's thinking he wasn't going to get anywhere so went and opened a sandwich shop which turned out to be a huge success giving him the financial stability to race the way he wanted the guy did very very very very well.

While KB leaves a rich legacy in drag racing and deserves respect in that regard, I will never get over the way he treated my nephew at Ennis in 1990.
Good riddance.

I know I can read, but your not getting what i'm saying....They signed a 3 year deal dallas of 2010, i was there, I know it happen, Kenny may be done, but it's not explaining if copart is done, if Brandon would own, or if he's going somewhere with copart. It's a 3 year deal, they got 2 years left, I cant see how all parties invovled are throwin away a 2 year deal

My understanding from reading some other sites is that the Copart deal was not enough to run the car and that several of the associates (who made up the difference), like Mac, elected not to continue into '12. That left the team in a negative cash flow situation for '12 if they ran.

Rather than spend their own $$$, it appears that they elected to retire and reach an agreement with Copart to terminate the balance of the deal.

Well, congrats on the retirement and thanks for many fond memories over the years. What Mr. Nash wrote makes sense, true or not I don't know. Just my luck though, I miss going to any race for the first time in 27 years and my favorite team disbands. I now wish I had made it to Baytown and Ennis this year. Unfortunately, there will be one less reason to go back next year. The times, they are a changing.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back