THAT TIME LARRY MINOR TRIED TO LURE DALE ARMSTRONG AWAY FROM KENNY BERNSTEIN (1 Viewer)

Very intereting read. There's been speculation on this board about crew chiefs salaries. If owners was throwing a million dollars at crew chiefs back in the '80's, I can only guess what amount is being offered in this day and age.

Last edited:
always wondered about gwynn's running bud colors in late 80's......believe he had bud for 87' and '88? switching to coors in '89.
in fact, i think dick lahaie/miller, lost to gwynn at nationals two years in a row, first losing to bud in '88, then coors in '89 final.
battle of beers sadly no longer ........ good article.

Bernstein mentioned, if he was in Minor's shoes he'd a done the same thing and he did. Years later, he succeeded luring JR Todd's CC away, for his Monster energy funny car

Bernstein mentioned, if he was in Minor's shoes he'd a done the same thing and he did. Years later, he succeeded luring JR Todd's CC away, for his Monster energy funny car

I couldn’t remember who until I looked it up. That car never ran with any consistency as best I can recall.

Very intereting read. There's been speculation on this board about crew chiefs salaries. If owners was throwing a million dollars at crew chiefs back in the '80's, I can only guess what amount is being offered in this day and age.
To be honest, I don't think there are any million dollar CC's out there today.

I knew about this at the time it was going on, Dale Armstrong was a friend of mine. He was a absolute genius as a crew chief and worth every penny. Dale help me a lot with my big block alky Chevrolet TAD. and he with such a great gentleman to know.
Larry Sutton---Lions Starter an racer (RET)🤠

Man, the GLORY DAYS.
Kenny was on a roll then, thats for sure. Dale's combo definitely sounded different, and they were careful to try and never do a single during qualifying so it could be heard by itself. I remember it being distinct, and of course Darrell's sounded the same. The idle had a different tone.
Loved the terrible towel over the chassis behind the front right tire, anyone know what he was hiding? a ruse?

Man, the GLORY DAYS.
Kenny was on a roll then, thats for sure. Dale's combo definitely sounded different, and they were careful to try and never do a single during qualifying so it could be heard by itself. I remember it being distinct, and of course Darrell's sounded the same. The idle had a different tone.
Loved the terrible towel over the chassis behind the front right tire, anyone know what he was hiding? a ruse?
George,
You are correct about them trying to never making a single run. I was at Indy one year and the other car broke on the burnout, Kenny made a single after the run I told Dale I heard the car shift two times, Dale said to me NAW. I said Dale don't BS me I heard it. He laughed.> (the first lock up clutch) LOL
Larry Sutton---Lions Starter

Man, the GLORY DAYS.
I think the terrible towel was for either the Racepak that Dale introduced or perhaps clutch/fuel management. Not sure if the Racepak came along at the same time as clutch/fuel system management, or proceeded it.

Another Armstrong story, one day I was telling Dale about the car I was driving (Landlord TAD) that we were running down nozzles (one of the first to run them) and I told him he should try it on the top fuel car, he said he didn't think it would work on a fuel car. Then another year at Indy I said Dale what is this, (down nozzles) he said I didn't think it would work, but you will never see this car without out them.
Larry Sutton---Lions Starter

I think the terrible towel was for either the Racepak that Dale introduced or perhaps clutch/fuel management. Not sure if the Racepak came along at the same time as clutch/fuel system management, or proceeded it.
I always heard it was fuel management.

Does anyone out there know about how much a crew chief like Grubnic, Green, Neff, etc. make these days ?
It is not really important to them for you to know what these guys make, but you can bet that they all know about what each other makes. Some of these guys like the Prock family are very much a huge part of JFR in total - more than tuning Roberts car. When he sat out they didn't take off for a one year huge number. Several of the other top teams are that way also. The greatest CC in the world cannot make a "Silk purse out of a Sow's ear". Alan Johnson has to have ALL the pieces right to make a car a Champion. Many people have said that the pipe can make a huge difference in repeatability and it seems that It is true. When you have several years of data it is a whole lot easier than walking in and saying "Let Me wave my Magic Wand and your World will be wonderful." The guys before Alan didn't wear Dunce Caps - they were good CC's and the results were similar.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back