TF start up: gasoline (racing fuel) or methanol? (1 Viewer)

flapjack

Staff member
Nitro Member
During start up, one of the crew members squirts something into the injector hat. I always thought it was methanol, but I read somewhere that it actually is gasoline. Does anyone know which it is?

I heard nitro or gas works.
They never use nitro to start them! That's how you have a major engine explosion when it spins over.

Remember Scott Weis' boomer a few years ago when they turned it over to fire it? That's because there was a small amount of nitro pooled inside the blower. Wasn't it Gene Snow that also had a big boomer with his A/fuel dragster about 10 years ago in the pits because an injector leaked nitro into the engine between rounds?

They never use nitro to start them! That's how you have a major engine explosion when it spins over.

Remember Scott Weis' boomer a few years ago when they turned it over to fire it? That's because there was a small amount of nitro pooled inside the blower.

Or pooled in a cylinder, which causes hydraulic lock the instant the engine is spun over. A bit tough on connecting rods :eek:

Gasoline, I'm told, due to its' volatility characteristics that make it much easier to burn (therefore start) than either methanol and particularly nitro. You could use one Delco HEI distributor to start a fuel motor on gasoline, but you need an MSD 44 amp arc welder once you make the transition.

Remember Scott Weis' boomer a few years ago when they turned it over to fire it? That's because there was a small amount of nitro pooled inside the blower. Wasn't it Gene Snow that also had a big boomer with his A/fuel dragster about 10 years ago in the pits because an injector leaked nitro into the engine between rounds?

Remember Snow 'hydraulicing' a motor in the pits at the county about 40 years ago, want to say late 70 or maybe it was 71... took the side out of the block. Was Qualifying night at the MFG. Meet...

d'kid

Because of the flash point gasoline is the easiet and safest way to prime the motor. On our methonal motor we use small amounts of gasoline into the hat to fire it...

woops ok!!!

Low octane gasoline (89). Start and run for few seconds to make sure no misfires and then roll on the nitro. Low octane gas much easier to start with, especially when it is cold.

I assume the low flash point means the gasoline won't pool and cause the
motor to hydraulic.

Pooling with gasoline isn't a big problem because you don't need anywhere near as much of it...1/2 the volume of methanol and about 1/8 the volume of nitro. Warms the engine a lot quicker, too, when they fire 'em up in the pits. Makes the car sound like a big ol' AA/GS.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back