before and after the run (1 Viewer)

it is amazing what happens between rounds; reading your posts mike reminds
me of time lapse video done a few years back of the O funny car;
unloading from trailer, staging, run, back to pits, thrash, fire motor in pits
.....it was set to an m&m song....'one shot' i think was the name.

Great post Mike. Thank you. All I can say is, I'm glad I work on a Nitro Nostalgia car..not near the work. Right MM? lol

I assume the remaining fuel is from the warm up? So when you back it down, the fuel goes into the header pipes? Is that the spray we sometimes see on startup?
You back the motor down by rotating it the opposite way to get any remaindid fuel out of the combustion chamber. This is a safety procaution to avoid the chance of hydraulicing the motor when you turn it over with the starter.

Great post! If you'd come up for the Colorado FTDRS race... if you're in the right spot at the right time, you'd actually get to see alot; not all mind you - but alot of this - take place! :D

Mike, what a great thread. Thanks for sharing.

Also, it was very nice chatting with you at the airport on Sunday night. I look forward to seeing you guys in Baytown at the end of the month.

That's my job.

tumbs.gif

You back the motor down by rotating it the opposite way to get any remaindid fuel out of the combustion chamber. This is a safety procaution to avoid the chance of hydraulicing the motor when you turn it over with the starter.

Back in '07-'08 when Scott Weis had his Boomer in the staging lanes, was that from NOT Backing it down?

Back in '07-'08 when Scott Weis had his Boomer in the staging lanes, was that from NOT Backing it down?

Yes probably...

I can hear the ring/pinion growling before the run, but after the run, that sound gets drowned out by the clutch noise.

The discs spin on the input shaft whenever the rear wheels are turning.

Before the run the clutch pack is tight, it has a .050 air gap between the floaters and discs so not much noise.

After the run that same gap is much bigger and the discs clank around or growl loudly as the car rolls. It's a tough sound to decribe but it's very noisy.

^ At least I think that's why it gets noisy afterwards ^

Mike, what a great thread. Thanks for sharing.

Also, it was very nice chatting with you at the airport on Sunday night. I look forward to seeing you guys in Baytown at the end of the month.

Yeah good seeing you too Mark. You really caught me by surprise at the airport.
See you in Baytown, stop and say hi this time...

So what's your job when yall are packing it up to leave? Also what's done to the motor before loading up?

So what's your job when yall are packing it up to leave? Also what's done to the motor before loading up?

After the last run on Sunday we do the normal service on the car plus some extra things. The chassis gets sprayed and wiped clean, Eugene puts the travel tires on and drains the puke tank, I take the oil pump off and flush the oil tank and lines clean and the guys will put the heads and blower back on finger tight. If we have any blown up blocks I need to strip them so they can go out for repair right away.

It never gets put away dirty or wet.

Meanwhile the body-or-bodys are being cleaned and de-winged, and get installed on the chassis before rolling them into the trailer.

Once the cars are put away each of us have a list of duties to complete.
I won't bore you with it, just a bunch of cleaning and loading things back in.
The whole deal takes about four hours.

The mood is generally good, we're all pretty beat up from the weekend but we don't stop until the work is done. Then we'll sit around as BS about the weekend, have some laughs and say our goodbyes.

Eugene rolls her on to the next race and we do it all over again...

Bode was very fortunate to find Mike "aka" Bonefire to take over the bottom end, and short block duties a few years ago. I can not think of anyone that does that job any better then Mike. By the way Mike, I dropped your block off at Brads to get line bored, and if it is done before I leave for Houston, I will pick it up on the way out of California. See ya in Houston dude.

Last edited:
Bode was very fortunate to find Mike "aka" Bonefire to take over the bottom end, and short block duties a few years ago. I can not think of anyone that does that job any better then Mike. By the way Mike, I dropped your block off at Brads to get line bored, and if it is done before I leave for Houston, I will pick it up on the way out of California. See ya in Houston dude.

So where did "Bonefire" come from?

I can't thank all of you enough for this thread. As a fan, it is so refreshing to be privy to the details of what goes on behind the rope. This thread makes up for all of the angst-filled ones that seem to be the norm sometimes. Thank you, and hope to see the whole Bode crew soon!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back