before and after the run (1 Viewer)

bottom end

Nitro Member
I thought I'd share a little insight on what goes on before and after a fuel car makes a pass, some of the things you normally don't see.

Once the car is towed to the staging lanes and Bode gets out, we do a final once over on the car, checking the belt, fuel and oil lines, making sure the valve covers are seated properly and everything is where it should be ect...

I'll get under the body and prepare the restraints for Bode to get strapped in, put the turning bar on the blower pulley and get the clutch to a certain spot for the clutch guy to make a last minute weight change on the clutch. Meanwhile the tire guy is keeping tabs on the rear tire pressures and wheelie bar adjustment.

Our crew chief is out on the starting line watching and determining the track condition.

With about 4-5 pairs of cars ahead of us, Bode will start getting ready for the run. We'll get his boots and helmet on, and the Hans device.
He walks to the back of the car and pulls the chute pins and checks the chutes one last time, hands me the chute pins and climbs into the car.

I'll get the restraints hooked up and adjusted. Lap belts, shoulder belts, arm restraints, leg restraints, helmet strap, gloves, air line and radio and all get done at this time.
Once he's in and comfortable I'll climb behind the rear tire and turn the o2 bottle and radio.

Next I'll back the motor down and install the starter on the blower, then I'll
pull the fire bottle pin and show it to Bode.

Once the car reaches the starting line, our crew chief will make his last minute adjustments to clutch flow and timing curves in the computer box.

We'll spin the motor over to prime it and wait for the "fire em up" signal.

Wally then squirts the gasoline into the injector and I'll spin it over and bring it to life.

Burnout/back up and body up, one last check of oil psi and idle speed by the crew chief, I pull the throttle stop, msd plug and Racepak screen and then Wally guides him into the beams, opens the fuel regulator valve and sends him with a couple good luck taps on the hood.

He makes the pass and we head down to the shut down area. Bode is already out of the car by the time we get there. Jake will lift the body and
I'll put the kill wires back in, fire bottle pin, msd plug and throttle stop, run around to the other side of the car and shut the air and radio back off. Then I get in the seat and Jake lowers the body. The car is very hot and smoky inside. It smells of oil/rubber/clutch dust and brake dust, I can tell it just made a hard pass. I'll pat her on the dash and tell her good job! or it's ok, we'll get em next time. We head to the scales and back to the pit area. The car sounds like a bucket of bolts inside, stones ping off the sticky tires and hit the tubs, the clutch is growling and the body is bouncing on its perches.
It's a real rattle box.

I steer the car into the pit, hop out the hatch and grab the LR body and lift it off to carry it into the pit area. Then the thrash begins....:D

Thanx Bonfire! Love these kinds of posts.
Tell me something; when you mention the air system, where does this air come from?
Is it from a tank somewhere on board the car? If so, is it pressurized with compressed air between runs or something?

Best post on here in very long time!!! Thanks again ... and if you feel like it ... keep em coming!!!

Great writing Mike, Snap Shots of the Pay-Off...

Now it's Back in the pits.... Tear-down next?

You up for more, say taking it all in ten to fifteen minute slices?

Thank You
d'kid

Very cool post mike. You can tell it was written by someone who loves what he is doing, and loves to share it with others. Mike, when you get a spare minute, if there is such a thing for you, I' would love to hear about the tear-down, and such. Thanks again Mike.

Once again...good stuff. I too enjoy the behind the scenes look at what goes on. I don't care it it's setting up the transporter or going through the service of the parts, I would love to hear more. Keep it coming if you get a chance.

Thanks for the good response! I thought this might be interesting to some.

Paul, the air I was referring to was his fresh air supply hooked to his helmet.
The bottle is mounted behind the cage and he has a valve to turn it on or off inside the car. Then there's the CO2 bottle for the management system, that bottle is mounted up front by the management box and the crew chief turns that one on himself.

Sure I can go through what I do during the service, that's the best part.

Ok so by the time we carry the body into the pit, the car is almost ready to go up on the pro jacks. The guys are working on unhooking lines and straps and belt before the car ever gets up in the air.

First thing I do is put on my safety gear, hat, gloves, heat sleeves and safety glasses. The engine, clutch and headers are still super hot right now. Even a glancing touch to the headers will leave a burn mark on your skin, I usually get at least one tattoo per race.

First thing I do on the car is undo the belly pan, I want to have it off before the car leaves the ground so the pan is laying there under the car as it goes up. I'll start undoing the diaper restraints as the car goes up, focusing on dropping the RH side first so I can get the oil draining. I come around and squeeze between the clutch guy and the top end guy and start the oil draining. While it drains I go around the other side and finish dropping the diaper. I'll give the guys a heads up if the oil looks black, usually meaning a spun bearing or something that requires pulling the engine.

The oil plug goes back in and I dive under with my tool tray and pull the oil pan. When the pan drops it vents a huge amount of nitro vapor, enough to make my eyes water, even the clutch guy said he gets a whiff every time.

The first thing I need to look at is the main bearings and make sure the crank is not hurt. We need to know right away if an engine change is neccesary.

Then I'll work on taking off #1 and #2 rod caps as the blower and heads come off up top. When the guys are ready I'll start pushing pistons out, calling out their names first to make sure they're ready to catch them. Rich will say "go" and Alex says "send it". I push them hard enough that they'll fly out of the motor and fall on me if the guys don't catch them. (ask me know I know this) I tried catching a piston/rod with my face once, that hurt...

Once all the pistons are out the guys will hone or replace sleeves while I finish servicing the main bearings and getting them reinstalled.
Then we start pushing pistons back in, I'll call Rich and Alex one at a time and guide the rods onto the journals and zip the caps up with a gun.
When all the pistons are in I go back and torque everything, rods caps 100 ft lbs, main caps 130 and side bolts 80.

I'll clean the oil pan and get it put back on, and get fresh oil ready to put in.

All the above takes about 20 minutes, I remember glancing at the clock as the car was rolling in, it was 12 noon. I looked again when the pan was back on and it was 12:20. I love doing bottom end, it's fast paced, dirty, oily and hot. I wouldn't trade it for any other job on the crew.

Wow! Now that's the kind of inside stuff fans never get the opportunity to hear about. Posts like that will keep fans coming back for more. Best I've read in a long time, thanks for taking the time to write it.

BD

You forgot the quick glance at the Girl in the Halter top at the rope line!
Good Job

THANKS Mike! Outstanding read. As a fan I appreciate stories like these. Brings me so much closer to what I'm seeing on/off track and sometimes don't have an opportunity to ask what's happening.

This is awesome Mike, thanks so much for taking the time. Can you elaborate on backing the motor down for us?

You back the motor down by rotating it the opposite way to get any remaindid fuel out of the combustion chamber. This is a safety procaution to avoid the chance of hydraulicing the motor when you turn it over with the starter.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back