T/F Guaranteed to qualify at Z-Max (1 Viewer)

Angelo

Nitro Member
I find it almost shocking that only 16 T/F cars showed to this, the first event at such a great track. I say “almost” shocking because there were only 15 T/F cars at Brainerd and Reading this year.

I wonder if NHRA is, or is planning, to doing anything to help increase the attendance in this class? Sure hope they are... :eek:

I find it almost shocking that only 16 T/F cars showed to this, the first event at such a great track. I say “almost” shocking because there were only 15 T/F cars at Brainerd and Reading this year.

I wonder if NHRA is, or is planning, to doing anything to help increase the attendance in this class? Sure hope they are... :eek:

But Angelo, we have the excitement of only 12 cars qualifying on Fridays...

d'kid

Lets remember this is in a part of the Country with few Fuel cars! Plus this is an extra race that was thrown in at the last moment this year. I heard Gary Densham say that this added race will cost these teams a good chunk!

Boychuk/Paton team made an attempt in Q2 - broken throttle cable. According to Bob, only 17 TF are there. Novelli and Torrence (Vis Visa) were entered, but apparently not on the property. Fields have been weak all year and next year may be worse.

Short t/f fields don't surprise me as this is a repeat of the cycle that happens on a some what regular baisis. For us "oldies" we remember in the 80's there was talk of 8 car fields.

Reasons then are the same as now - lack of funding (economy) causes lack of sponsorship, people relate more to funny cars as they look some what like their grocery getter, bodies have more "bill board space" bigger bodies bigger bang for the buck for corporate america.

Solution - the class needs a big name "draw" please don't get me wrong the people there are well respected but there is no KB, Shirley, BIG, Amato, Hill etc.... average t/f age much younger than f/c.

Above observations taken from discussions at Indy with fans and racers who expressed concerns about t/f "slump" with regards to current fields, sponsors etc...

I hate to see what next year brings unless NHRA becomes pro-active in attracting new sponsors. Rules, kicking teams out for oil downs (get them help don't kick them out), turning away sponsors are NOT the answer needed!

1000' racing is "safer" so heck 8 cars would cut that lower risk in half, its all about safety

NHRA helps only the huge teams that need no help.:confused:

We were entered in N.C. but the NHRA told we had to test before we could return to racing (there is a ban on testing) only had 3 oil downs this season and the one at Brainerd there was no evidence of oil or a clean up but they still charged us with one. NHRA won't let small teams race anymore because of live coverage. This new format proves that. Our changes of having oil downs are higher because we run parts longer and don't change them unless the don't check out.

Good point, but you have to test at a nhra track where ther tech department is on hand so they can look at you runs. They are not going to take your word for it at a IHRA track with no one watching.

I'm thinking that Force already having Four Funny Cars, needs to start a Four car Top Fuel stable and Ford will back him because of the "Boss 500" motors and Brittany and Courtney are in the "wings" to be the drivers of the first two!....just my thoughts........plus I think Castrol might like their name back in Top Fuel..who knows?.........but it sounds good to me.........Perry Jr.

Good point, but you have to test at a nhra track where ther tech department is on hand so they can look at you runs. They are not going to take your word for it at a IHRA track with no one watching.

Actually they have been known to accept the word of a "seasoned" driver or crew chief - someone who hasn't been in trouble.

If a team were to test at Martin with the likes of Force, Lucas or Kalitta et all were present don't you think they would accept their word that the runs were clean. Answer is yes they would for I personally know of someone who did just that a fews years back. Also know of a situation where a "mentor" was appointed to help a team "work through" their issues in stead of getting the boot.

While the fine folks at Wally world can be narrow minded at times they aren't unreasonable. Keep in mind that in reality this is entertainment and they want it to run smoothly and oil downs keep that from happening!

This may be about entertainment for you but for the racers it is a business. They are there to go rounds and try and make some money. Dad was not given any options he was not given the chance to get a mentor. He did work with Connie and Lance Larson in the past. But they both have their own things they need to take care of. As far as having someone else vouch for his runs he was told he had to be at a NHRA track with NHRA officials present. In the past teams were given a heads up that this may be coming. Dad was not given and notice or heads up. This should not have even been thought about since he had so few oil downs. I know many of you think he oils the track a lot but if you look at his record that is not the case. He has fire but not many oil downs. I am not here to debate this I have been very quiet about this subject but I need to say my bit and move on.

This may be about entertainment for you but for the racers it is a business. They are there to go rounds and try and make some money. Dad was not given any options he was not given the chance to get a mentor. He did work with Connie and Lance Larson in the past. But they both have their own things they need to take care of. As far as having someone else vouch for his runs he was told he had to be at a NHRA track with NHRA officials present. In the past teams were given a heads up that this may be coming. Dad was not given and notice or heads up. This should not have even been thought about since he had so few oil downs. I know many of you think he oils the track a lot but if you look at his record that is not the case. He has fire but not many oil downs. I am not here to debate this I have been very quiet about this subject but I need to say my bit and move on.

I have read all these posts also, and your Dad's tune-up as well as the whole operation has greatly improved over the last couple of years. NHRA was dead wrong in their actions. Please tell your Dad that plenty of people appreciate his efforts and hope he comes back out to play.

Force , Lucas , Kalitta , and others have been testing the past two weeks at Martin MI.
The testing ban is for Mondays at the track after the race.

That's not accurate. I spoke to Div. 1 director and Graham Light on behalf of a driver a few weeks ago about doing a few licensing runs (3-5 runs) in fuel car at E-town in October and was refused because of the ban. They said because it was an NHRA track they wouldn't allow it because of the ban. Even though I explained it was for licensing and NOT testing, they still said no.

Rt. 131 in Martin, MI. is an IHRA track and allows Nitro testing. Also, the IHRA does not restrict the number of sources where their drivers can buy Nitro. As a result, those drivers are paying much than those whom are forced by NHRA to buy from VP.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back