Full fields? At what price? (1 Viewer)

On the contrary there Alphonso! Ask the Strasburgs about how they were treated for filling the Pomona show at the beginning of the season. They not only brought a competitive car and won first round with a near guarantee of winning second round to a complete tire smoker which would've landed them square into the semis. Then they were treated like red-headed step children at best. Rulings from the deep archives of some obscure manual were used to deprive them of their win money and points as if they wanted them to leave forever. Personally, I'd have never raced the NHRA again after that brutal treatment.

Or, you can think of it this way. Would the suits in Glendora actually let go of one single dollar they weren't forced to much less to "entice" somebody to the track? Given their financial history, I seriously doubt it!

I stand corrected.:)

My intent was never to correct you but to shed light. Heck, me correcting you would be like GA teaching WJ about swirl and tumble or Homer Simpson schooling Einstein on physics. Beyond unlikely!

Not to worry,I've been corrected before and didn't take it as bad. Heck,I've got more important things to worry about right now,like the weather radio is going off full blast with tornado warnings in my area.:(

Instead of calling them "fillers" why don't you express your appreciation for what it takes to do this on their own dime in today's economy. And, that you appreciate the fact that these people are out there trying.
:confused:Wait a minute Randy ... these teams made a conscious decision to do this on thier own dime. I do appreciate thier efforts on track but them choosing to obliterate thier financial future is not something I have to respect. In fact, I think its a shame.

Has anybody thought that some of the "filler cars" might just be booked in by NHRA to have full fields? I had this thrown @ me by somebody and it got me to thinking about it.

In the words of those "filler" racers like Steve Chrisman and Robert Rheel..."You've got to be f#%ng kidiing me!"

Instead of calling them "fillers" why don't you express your appreciation for what it takes to do this on their own dime in today's economy. And, that you appreciate the fact that these people are out there trying.

Well put. Besides, this could be their break anyway. Most of the legends of the sport got in when the fields were small and took off from there as far as proving themselves for staying power. The barriers to entry have been lowered and once you get in, it's easier to stay it.

Nobody knows anything about this "Sportsmen paying for Pro's insurance," huh?

Forty dollars???

Anybody?

Nobody knows anything about this "Sportsmen paying for Pro's insurance," huh?

Forty dollars???

Anybody?

All I know is that on the bottom of the entry form it's a $40 surcharge. If it hadn't gone up with the other rate increases.

I have to pay it for every car I enter regardless of how many drivers I have.

That's funny, the last I remember, our filler car was a qualifier at the 2004, 2005 and 2007 U.S. Nationals....and should've been in 2008. Far from light fields at those races.

That's funny, the last I remember, our filler car was a qualifier at the 2004, 2005 and 2007 U.S. Nationals....and should've been in 2008. Far from light fields at those races.

T, you guys are anything but fillers. As I see it Zizzo's team is one major multi-year sponsor away from title contention.

I don't understand this hostility towards the Lesser funded teams! It seems back in Dec. everyone was predicting 12-13 cars at some races! We've had FULL Fields at every race!;)

Independents get a shot to play on Sunday and now its a conspiracy? It sucks that that there aren't 20+ fully funded teams running full schedules, but I suspect that those sponsors wouldn't last long if we were guaranteed 4+ sponsored teams going home on Saturday. I also suspect that many of these "fillers" wouldn't bother to come out if there was little chance to make the field.

I'm just amazed that the term "filler" can even be used. Could somebody please tally up the base expense in fielding a top fuel team? Then add up the expenses to make qualifying passes only. There's no way the term "filler" could fit using my figures.

Filler, independent.. whatever you want to call them. I love them - but I am just curious and would like some opinions. I saw that after first round, all the independent teams (other then Hartley) lost.. most of them badly. Is that frustrating for a team to put all that hard work into it and still not even come close to winning one round? To me that would be like me playing pickup hockey all week, then when gametime comes the Red Wings come out and beat me down. At some point Id not want to put any effort into it knowing Ill just get beat down.. and for sure not want to follow them around the county.

In the words of those "filler" racers like Steve Chrisman and Robert Rheel..."You've got to be f#%ng kidiing me!"

You're quoting the wrong guy,I was quoting the original post in this thread. I certainly meant no disrespect to ANY racer,Larry Dixon or the Greek. What's wrong with asking the question could NHRA be paying some teams to show up? Like Joe said,we went all winter wondering how many cars were going to show and it was speculated that less than 10 cars was possible. Then the season starts and some of the teams showed that might not have been expected. When I said that the possibility of some being paid to show was brought up by somebody else and presented to me,it was a sportsmen racer AFTER their fee increases. He was theorizing that this might be the reason why it was costing the sportsmen more. When you think that there's no way NHRA would pay show money,just think about the title sponsor who is in it's first year,how would less than full fields look? if there were only 10 cars,multiple single runs would occur unless NHRA changed the ladder. Again,if anybody took my post as a slam toward ANY team,they are mistaken.

was also conspiring to believe extra compensation may be in play this year,
but upon further consideration have backed off that notion.
this year so far appears to be nitro addicts (new and old) with a better than average shot at racing on sunday towing to an extra race or two or more,
and thank you for doing so; can only hope for an underdog advancing to
final and possibly winning.

The teams that are "filling" out the fields are competing because it is what they want to do and there are opportunities right now. Yes, they are competitive personalities with egos that get beat down. But they will keep coming back as long as they can find a way.

You cannot win unless you enter and play the game. Opportunity will come knocking when you least expect it, and you have to be ready to open the door when it does knock.

The teams work hard and can take pride in the little victories. These can include but not be limited to: Qualifying, expecially above a sponsored team or two, winning a round or two when it isn't expected, leaving an event with more money and parts than you arrived with, meeting new friends, and/or meeting a potential backer or supporter.

Niether HRA pays teams to compete at their national events. All teams pay the same surcharge for insurance, same amount as all entrants to an event. They will sometimes point you in the direction of an income producing event off track that the larger teams are unable to accomodate.

Compare these teams with the extras on any major league stick and ball team. Why do they work so hard for such little playing time? Because they are part of the elite of the world that get to compete with the best on the big stage in their chosen field.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back