Steel Framed Houses (1 Viewer)

Joker

Nitro Member
Well Pam and I are in the process of buying our first home. Actually we just started looking but within 6 months we will be.

Anyways we have found several houses that we like but our favorite is a steel framed house. I have done a little research on them and have found that they are suppose to be alot stronger, lighter, and more energy efficient than a wood framed house not to mention that you dont have to ever worry about termites etc.

The only problem is that I have never seen one before nor do I know of anyone who has owned one. I know here in Texas they are not common but I dont know about everywhere else so if anyone has any info on them I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Justin

We have our share of them here in norcal. No known problems that I'm aware of. USS Posco steel down the river a few miles makes a lot of the stuff.

For me it makes it very difficult to hang something heavy like a plasma tv on the wall because you just can't run a 3" lag bolt in and grab a stud. For that reason I usually turn those jobs down.

The only negative of metal framed houses is the initial costs which of course will be passed along in the price. Being from Texas, you know the mold and termite horror stories of home ownership in and around Texas. Metal frame houses will alleviate some of those chances and you can receive a discount on your homeowners insurance for a metal framed home.
Happy home finding!
RO

I've seen several steel frame homes being built here in East Texas, the studs are galvanized and to me seem much nicer, I've also seen homes built from a total steel structure, i.e. a Mueller steel building built to be a home, A Friend of mine lives down the road in a 30x40 Mueller steel building, it has 12' porches front and back which makes his slab 54'x40' the walls are 6" and insulated very well, NO maintenance, it's white with black trim and looks pretty nice, His electric bill was $80.00 last month, mine was $315.00. Not only are they very energy efficient they are very quiet.

Hey Justin, congrats on the new home. I've got a neighbor with steel frame and its very nice.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back