State of the NHRA (1 Viewer)

Coughlin is right, nhra keeps shooting themselves in the foot.
1) they should have embraced the imports, create classes for them, slow the tree to accommodate the turbo lag.

2)nhra should never have banned pro's from mach racing. Every time a pro makes a pass, it's free advertising for nhra.

3) make pro stock real. FI with engine size determined by availability in body used.
Either stick shift or automatic, not half of each.

4) go to an instant green, (no yellows) to eliminate red lights. RT's would be just as important as now. Winners should be determined at the finish line, not the starting line.

5) lower prices.

This is the first year I have a larger LED TV and a surround sound set up to watch my NHRA shows, and what a difference! Every pass sounded great and the Capps-Frigo-Cruzer explosions shook the room. I know it will never hold a candle to when I actually go to Maple Grove or E-Town, but it helped. If they can re-vamp the shows a little and the scheduling a lot, the NHRA shows will be more exciting, just like the old Diamond P days.

When I ask how the NASCAR race went on the weekend, my friends (hardcore fans) usually can't tell me details because they fell asleep! And they don't have to wait until 11pm to watch ! ;)

I have seeing similar articles to ths the past 15 years, fact is as long as NHRA maintains its Non-profit status, why change? The guys in charge are making $400,000 and up every year, is there any incentive for them to want to grow the sport? Until attendance gets so ridiculously Low that every local paper where NHRA events are held reports about what a dying sport NHRA is I doubt anything will change!

Good article. Part of the problem is that America is no longer a car culture as it was in the '50s - '70s, and kids don't relate to the muscle car era or even 20 years ago. One thing that struck me was Jeg's comment about young racers not being interested in the Big Show either in person or on TV: "we're missing the transition of getting those folks to NHRA national events or to have them watch on TV." One reason could be that racing at that level (read $$$$$) is clearly out of reach for the vast majority of younger (any age?) racers. Racing needs to be affordable to stimulate participation and competition. Of course "competition" used to mean innovation and experimentation; man and machine. Now it's mostly only a competition in the sense of who has the thickest wallet.

I completely agree David. I think you 'hit the nail on the head' when you said that kids are different than we were in the period you mentioned. Computers and video games must be more satisfying than building something. I don't see kids working on hot rods in their family's garages like we did in the 60's. They are apparently just not fascinated by or interested in wrenching on cars. Your second thought regarding cost may be the most powerful reason we see so few young people in drag racing. It was expensive in the 'old days' true, but todays kids can't hope to be competitive without substantial outside support.

Finally, just my unsupported opinion, handicap racing is boring. To me, it's not racing at all. Yes, you're going pretty quick and fast, but you're really just racing the tree and watching the computer. Why spend the money, for example, for an improved induction system when you can already run a half second under the index? When I raced in the 60's, it was all heads up racing in a particular class. That system had its own set of problems to be sure, but it was racing.

Just my two cents worth.

I have helped VegasDrift and Import Face Off run their first 2 drifting events this year, and I noticed a couple of things. First, there are no drifters over 35. Most are in their 20s. Second, it does not cost more to build a drag car than it does a drift car, these are full cage cars with 600+ HP, all of the full time pros are well north of 800 HP with engine/turbo programs. Third, we had 49 cars gunning for 16 spots in the middle of January at LVMS and we capped the entries at 40 for Wild Horse Pass the following week and it quickly sold out. Why have the "kids" taken their money and cars in this direction? I believe the answer is 2 fold:

1. SEAT TIME. I cannot express how important this factor is. Depending on the track, a drift run lasts between 30 seconds and 1 minute, and we easily got everyone at least 20 runs. Compared to a test and tune night at a drag strip where you get between 2-4 hits, and the kids are having a lot more fun and getting way more bang for their buck drifting.

2. THEY ARE TREATED LIKE CRAP AT DRAG STRIPS. At the IFO event at Wild Horse Pass in January, they ran their drag portion of the event with no pre-stage bulbs, no scoreboards and no time slips (because none of Wild Horse's stuff worked) and the import racers were told to shut up and take it. There are also no shortage of "old timers" at drag strips that can't wait to tell them they are doing it wrong, their cars have slicks on the wrong end, or they dont look like or sound like real racecars, including whoever the PA announcer was at Wild Horse. Why should they put up with that crap? Guess what, they don't.

There are "kids" out there who love cars, and for the most part "we" have done everything to run them off.

Coughlin is right, nhra keeps shooting themselves in the foot.
1) they should have embraced the imports, create classes for them, slow the tree to accommodate the turbo lag.

2)nhra should never have banned pro's from mach racing. Every time a pro makes a pass, it's free advertising for nhra.

3) make pro stock real. FI with engine size determined by availability in body used.
Either stick shift or automatic, not half of each.

4) go to an instant green, (no yellows) to eliminate red lights. RT's would be just as important as now. Winners should be determined at the finish line, not the starting line.

5) lower prices.

**In response to the above**

1) Import trend/fad runs in cycles it's not consistent. I worked for many years in the aftermarket field serving this target market demographic. As a group they are very nuancey and hard to market to. Lots of issues here that would require dissertation to explain.

2)Their should be some match racing!

3) F.I. would be O.K.-NHRA's big brother NASCAR is doing it and they like to follow them-what's the bid deal?

4) Don't know about this?

5) Their is a price point issue.

NOTE:***All national events must have a minimum of one full nitro night session-NHRA has sacrificed the grandeur and spectacular nature of the sport by conceding this. **Don't think P.R.O. will go for this?

Overall, the issues are far broader than these posts touch on unfortunately. ;)
I am an NHRA member and love the organization and always wish the best for it :)

Here is an interesting question, since the days of Dave Mac, Steve Evans and Diamond P, since the days of full house crowds and massive car counts. What has changed? Figure out a date where things started to go downhill and ask yourself "What happened?"

What happend to what? I go to the races and its all mostly the same people doing the same thing, really not much has changed, yes we are older some have quit or have died ,there are new names , the cars are a hell of a lot faster and more expensive, but really what has changed? Its still just drag racing...........

My point of the question was if everything was like it was in those days we would not have these threads. I was not around to see those times but there seems to be a great number of people who feel things have changed.

I say Pro Stock, Pro Stock Bike and Pro Import should be pro categories along with the Nitros. And Pro Import would be your Rotary/Piston Pan Am fields.

Understandable the expense of going to a national event might deter spectators. The second biggest factor is all the down time and the in-between show of the Sportsman cars. Which I am not going to debate, but I would like to offer a perspective on weekly drag racing that I believe could help revive the sport. Yes, I am a weekly bracket racer.

First and foremost it has to be fun for the spectators to watch. Bracket racing is not easy for the fans. Seeing a 8 sec car race a 10 sec car is not much fun because the only time they are side by side is the last 66 feet, from the MPH cone to the finish line.

I believe index racing, heads up, with no throttle stops is the way to go. Break up the classes into a 7 – 8 – 9 – 10 – 11 – second index. You could have box, and no box classes, but nothing else but a trans brake. Both cars leave together and are glued together all the way down the track. First guy to the finish line wins without running out. Simple and fun to watch. Want to really make it exciting, “No Wheelie Bars”.

Everyone is so stuck in doing things the way we do them now, they are too afraid to change. If we don’t, we are going to die a natural death. Heck, I don’t enjoy watching a bracket race, but I love driving the big end. The problem is that doesn’t translate to the fan in the stands. I can’t stand watching .9 racing. It is boring.

Just my two cents. I believe Division 2 is doing this and it is catching on. Heck, it can’t be any worse than what we are giving the fans now.

Great idea, most all sports look better under the lights. But, local noise curfues prevents this. We can't blame that on nhra.
I know their are facility where they can race at night. Their has in the past even been night events at Pomona. Yes, some communities may have an issue, but I know their are others that it's not an issue. In communities where this is a challenge if I were NHRA I would at least attempt to get a variance. And if that community didn't grant it I would threaten to pull the event and the money it brings to that community and send it somewhere else where it's wanted. ;):)

I agree with about everything thats been talked about. I started Drag Racing in 1969 and it was affordable then and it can be today. Families went racing back then and the kids learned about Drag Racing by being at the track. I built a lot of Camaros and we found Dana, Ford rear ends out of salvage yards not Titanium, what I'm getting at is you can still build a nice safe car without breaking the bank and have lots of fun, don't get me wrong technology is a good thing and we should use it. I also think the organizational wizards should losing up on match racing, there was always two or three a year and the place would fill up and everyone enjoy themselves and could not wait till the next. I even read that the Pro Stock guys would consider match racing themselves. There could be some awesome match racing if it was allowed.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back