Sponsorships (1 Viewer)

cephus

Nitro Member
I have been offered 3 different fuel deals this past year but the 1st thing was how much money could i bring, it wasn't about ability or talent although i have driven an alcohol car with a proven record and we have beat the all the big money operators. i have 20 years experience in trucking, Jon deere,
cat equipment own an convience store/truckstop in and could talk circles
around some of the marketing reps and drivers in these arenas. But what gets me Torco and Lucas continue to sponsor some operations that don't produce wins and i have never seen them with any support mechanisms to push their respective sponsors other than a decal and a few words if they get an interview. i can as least let my record speak for itself and have an avenue to push their products in the South. It seems to me they ignore the Southern market
We got money to spend too!. We are also becoming the fastest growing
automobile mfg market in the country! Honda, Hyundai, Kia all within 40 miles
of my Home and office. I'm sure i will get blasted for this post but i tell it like it is. just don't make any sense :eek:

Bama Boys

Last edited:
Guy, no offense cause I don't know you. But sponsors have to be wooed, curious as to what this/that racer has to offer. Have you made a prospectus to both Torco/Lucas? I have NO idea what motivates Evan Knoll or Forrest Lucas as to what drivers they choose to sponsor. I doubt geographic location has anything to do with it. If anything a racer from the South should be considered an advantage of sorts seeing as How Huge Anything Motorsports sells in that part of the country.

Does JR Todd, and Melenie Troxell ring a bell? On the IHRA side, how about Dale Creasy winning the Funny car championship? And Litton is looking strong this year.

And I hate to say it but there's a lot more to sponsorship then winning every race. There's some guys that don't win to often that still give the sponsor the presense they are looking for. Just by it's nature, Drag racing is one of the toughest sports out there.

One thing I have to give Knoll a TON of credit for and that is the teams he sponsors that wouldn't have a chance otherwise.

If you have the money and the know how then what's stopping you? If you can't afford Top Fuel, race A/Fuel.

Last edited:
Thats a fair question.
1st off if you really think of the teams I sponsor the drivers were "SIDELINED with NO RIDES. They dint have driving jobs FULL TIME. "EXAMPLE" JR, MEL, Cannon, Ashley, Smith, Connley, and the names go on and on these name are to name a few. Now then you have the TAD and AFC i just love them classes along with sportsman racing. So back to the question it is a blast watching these great people race and the crews and I feel they do us a great job on our name exposure and future business etc. I love DRAG RACING and if i can sponsor the teams like we have been and give them a chance to WIN its all good. What makes me tick who really knows all i can say is I LOVE IT. Thanks and HAPPY EASTER. Evan Knoll. PS. Its not about hats and shirts or fuel:) . PSS. Guy Kelly is a great racer himself!!!!

Last edited:
I mean no offense to you Guy for what I am about to say, just call it some unsolicited constructive criticism, but I would think coming on a message board where Evan Knoll and Jim Jannard and Don Schumacher are regular posters and "whining" about having to bring money to race and then being somewhat critical of the teams one of the best sponsors in drag racing sponsors .... well .... that just doesn't seem very smart to me.

Guy, you will always catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, stay positive and keep getting it done on the track and good things will happen for you. Next time you see Evan Knoll or Forrest Lucas at the track, ask them for a few minutes of their time, ask them what they look for in a team to sponsor, take the advice and try to leverage it into other deals.

Good luck!

I couldn't tell you you what makes Evan Knoll or Forrest Lucas tick either other than they love the sport and are willing to help a team in need. They have both helped our team get by in various times of need and hope that they might be there again in the future if a need arises. Right now though, we have a new sponsor that we hope will get the sport even more attention on all levels and somehow I think that helps them back. Only time will tell.

What they have done is keep the sport alive. Can you imagine if they took all their money and went somewhere else. Believe me when I say not one single person wishes to see that happen; and that includes any team who has never even seen a dime from Torco or Lucas. Yeah, there is probably some jealosy out there. We wouldn't be human othewise. It's sometimes sad the fact that it takes so much money to make it all happen anymore. It more than takes the fun out of it all sometimes; but it all comes back to the people you meet and the love they all share for what we do 'cause no one is in it for the money. And if they are, they won't be for long...

Just my perspective from 35 years in and out of the trenches.

Thanks again to Evan and Forrest,

Mike Kern
Zizzo Racing Top Fuel dragster

Each sponsorship is different in terms of the primary sponsor's goals and objectives. I am curently negotiating with several sponsors and hope to be on the track sometime after it warms up this season...

I have taken a different approach to my offering as I'm a bracket racer but have some name recognition in the high tech field so i have basically costructed an outline of a marketing strategy on behalf of the type of firms I am chasing in hopes of being able to consolidate the racing activities into a broader plan that compliments their existing branding strategy.

So far I have been able to open doors but am working on the "closing"...

Guy, you and I need to face it we are just not good looking enough. lol. I would like to thank publicly Morgan for getting us hooked up on oil for our deal and also Evan not even knowing who we are for giving every fuel racer last year at the Rock a drum of nitro, every little bit helps when you run one of these cars or any other kind on your own dime. If we don't get to race that much at least we made in the show at gainesville this year our home track.

If we don't get to race that much at least we made in the show at gainesville this year our home track.

It was pretty awesome seeing you guys do well in Gainesville, despite operating "Under the Gun" so to speak. I hope you're able to secure enough money to compete again this year Mike... Good luck.

Guy, you and I need to face it we are just not good looking enough. lol. I would like to thank publicly Morgan for getting us hooked up on oil for our deal and also Evan not even knowing who we are for giving every fuel racer last year at the Rock a drum of nitro, every little bit helps when you run one of these cars or any other kind on your own dime. If we don't get to race that much at least we made in the show at gainesville this year our home track.

Congratulations on doing that Mike. :cool:

Do you and Bodie have some further plans together?

Rapid {Coulda beat Bodie, the week before at Reynolds, Ga if I would have kept it in the groove to the finish line,,,,my story and I am sticking to it!} ;)

Personaly.. i don't car whay they do what or with who they do it.. i'm just glad they do.... or a lot of the teams would be sitting on the side lines and not racing.... several of the drivers/teams have taken the help supplied by LUCAS and KNOLL and shown their potential and gained additional suport from other outlets to continue their racing...

IE... Zizzo was a TORCO team and are now sponsored by the new Zine... would this deal have came together if TORCO hadn't been there to help keep them racing and show the potential they had??? maybe .. maybe not...

Either way.."THANKS" for all you do...

Billy

I mean no offense to you Guy for what I am about to say, just call it some unsolicited constructive criticism, but I would think coming on a message board where Evan Knoll and Jim Jannard and Don Schumacher are regular posters and "whining" about having to bring money to race and then being somewhat critical of the teams one of the best sponsors in drag racing sponsors .... well .... that just doesn't seem very smart to me.

Guy, you will always catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, stay positive and keep getting it done on the track and good things will happen for you. Next time you see Evan Knoll or Forrest Lucas at the track, ask them for a few minutes of their time, ask them what they look for in a team to sponsor, take the advice and try to leverage it into other deals.

Good luck!

Hey, I've got JARS AND JARS of honey over here! Who wants to have a meeting about what our honey can do for you!?!?

IE... Zizzo was a TORCO team and are now sponsored by the new Zine... would this deal have came together if TORCO hadn't been there to help keep them racing and show the potential they had??? maybe .. maybe not...Billy

I can't disagree with you Billy. It's tough to be seen if your not out there.

Although it would still be nice to have Torco on the side of our hot rod in some type of capacity.

Last edited:
To whomever i'm not whining, i have the upmost respect for Forrest Lucas &
Evan Knoll and very much appreciate what they do for our sport cause NHRA
surely wouldn't help some of the racers they do. Have personally sat down and talked to Mr. Lucas for an hour at Indy It was only what i could do for him
and I understand that part of it, personally flew to Decatur MI to Meet with
Torco and only met Latrell was hoping to meet Evan and hope one day we'll meet so guys i understand the program, most of the time it's all about timing, i was merely stating some facts that sometimes makes panties get tight! also understand the wooing i been selling freight for 20 years, just wondering about the thought process and making conversation isn't this what this is site is all about:D sometimes bad pr is better than no pr! Country boy will surrive!

The Original Bama Boy

I probably have no right to say this since I have yet to be able to go drag racing because I can't afford it though I cant even afford a car to get around in . But to the original poster , nothing gets givin to you on a plate it takes hard work and persistance and lots of time , never give up on dreams . I know I wont give up on mine.

People in periphral industries are also prime targets.... "Everybody" at the track has some sort of hauler.... The systems included in those rigs that have upgrade potential and aftermarket additions might also be suitable...

I have actually dragged my wife into my efforts as she is far more appealing to the stereotyped male buyer than I am. ;) Plus she has a strong public service record as the youngest female District Governor for Rotary ever...

I sure hope that you are getting someone else to type your sponsorship proposals..................................

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back