Sounds like good things for top fuel and fuel funny car next year. (1 Viewer)

William, Skoal Bandit cars were pretty cool. You should have seen the Army Monza what a car that was. No. 1 in my book.

I wish I was born a few decades before when I was born in 1988 , because then I might have somehow got to america and seen all the cool old funny cars . The skoal bandit cars and the army monza car they were the coolest .
There were other cool cars but theres too many to list.

William, you have no idea! The cars were cooler back then with the big ol blowers popping out of the hood, a cool sounding cackle, most of the cars had bitchen paint jobs that matched models you could buy at the store.

There were only a few national events. Instead there were mostly independent booked-in shows, it was so good that in the summer there was a nitro race every week somewhere within driving distance. Becauses of that you didn't have to be rich to race a fuel car because there were enough paid races to keep you going.

If you ever get the chance pick up a dvd or video of the movie American Nitro. That will take you to the greatest days of the sport.

I hope I can fulfill my dream , I don't want to be famous , I don't want to be rich , I don't even care if I don't win any races I just want to have my own nitro funny car , I just want to have the chance to do the things I want to do.

William, you can do it, it just may not be a nitro car. Get your feet wet racing a super comp car and then move into a blown car. That's what I did and I'm having a lot of bun at it. It's not fuel but at least it's some what affordable.

Rich,

I don't know where you are from but I remember those days too. Growing up in southern California in the 70's was a drag racing paradise! OCIR, Irwindale, Lions, Long Beach there were a lot of drag strips within an hours drive from my house. Remember the 64 funny cars meets? Push starts? No reverse? It was more of a show than a race. That was cool....

Dan

William. I agree with that, even A/Fuel sounds more wicked then TF on 85%

You may be right when it comes to how they sound at idle Rich, but once that Tree comes down the A-Fuelers even at 97% aren't in the same Timezone as the Fuel cars! When I'm grabbing a Bite to eat or a Brew the Noise factor's not even close!

Last edited:
You may be right when it comes to how they sound at idle Rich, but once that Tree comes down the A-Fuelers even at 97% aren't in the same Timezone as the Fuel cars! When I'm grabbing a Bite to eat or a Brew the Noise factor's not even close!

To me, an A/Fueler at idle sounds like a whacky popcorn popper. I was told they sound like that because they have a real weird cylinder firing order.

Joe, you are correct and yes the run counts more than at idle. You can't compare the two. But I love the A/fuel cars.I can't figure out why the tracks don't see them as an opportunityto run nitro cars.

Dan, I'm from Oregon and the same promoter, Bill Doner promoted the Portland races like he did at Orange County so we got the same nitro cars as he would book them for Portland, Seattle, Freemont and the county.

I have a photo gallery from Portland at my web site www.capracing.com

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back