Thinning Fuel Ranks (1 Viewer)

Rich I agree that we're going back in that direction, which doesn't have to be a bad thing. I am missing the reason why there isn't any real match racing anymore. If there are part time fuel racers out there, wouldn't some promoters try and put together some match race dates like the old days? I understand a racer running 24 events not really having the time, but for others, wouldn't it or couldn't it be a good compliment to a part-time event tour?

Nitro class track insurance and the issues with safety that have been discussed here in the past....

Think NHRA is going to let one of their sanctioned tracks have a 4 to 8 car show on the same weekend as one of their National events? :rolleyes:

Nitro class track insurance and the issues with safety that have been discussed here in the past....

Think NHRA is going to let one of their sanctioned tracks have a 4 to 8 car show on the same weekend as one of their National events? :rolleyes:

I don't think insurance is the problem, we have never had problems getting nitro insurance for a track.

The biggest problems are the size of cam and fuel pump. You can't detune a car enough to get down some of these tracks, so the show sucks. Then the cost to move the crew and vehicles to service the car is high. Small teams can do it better and for less but don't have the name to draw the spectators without the track doing the proper promoting.

Then you don't have enough promoters that want to risk the outlay verses the return. Promoting local shows seems to be a lost art. That is why the IHRA one night jams are really popular with the tracks. The IHRA crew has a formula for success in these events and packs the houses where ever they are ran.

I don't think insurance is the problem, we have never had problems getting nitro insurance for a track.

The biggest problems are the size of cam and fuel pump. You can't detune a car enough to get down some of these tracks, so the show sucks. Then the cost to move the crew and vehicles to service the car is high. Small teams can do it better and for less but don't have the name to draw the spectators without the track doing the proper promoting.

Then you don't have enough promoters that want to risk the outlay verses the return. Promoting local shows seems to be a lost art. That is why the IHRA one night jams are really popular with the tracks. The IHRA crew has a formula for success in these events and packs the houses where ever they are ran.

We can all blame the Blue Max for having one of the first eighten wheelers and starting this molehill into a mountain.:)

NHRA increased their schedule at the same time costs begin to mount up and the tracks starting from the smaller ones up to the bigger tracks couldn't afford and 8 car show. The AHRA that was paying their cars appearance money folded, then OCIR, the glue that kept the match racing in Southern California going went under and all the sudden the choice was to find a big paying sponsor and run the circuit where the TV was, race a few times per year, or get out. A lot got out and some teams got deals which kept them racing but eventually folded as their deals expired and new ones could not be found. A few like Force marched on and new teams came on the scene that either had wealth of found deals in a good economy. That economy is gone.

....the Wheatly Bros from Maryland used a car hauler to bring the stockers....
In the late '60s Jim Hale from Arkansas used a car carrier to bring his seven Mopar stockers to Indy.
I think Billy had the first "rolling shop" type 18 wheeler, Roland wasn't too far behind.
Maybe the Max was the first "ground up" 18 wheeler trailer , not a converted furniture hauler?

I don't think 18-wheelers are the problem. The problem is with the business model of "Professional" drag racing. There are plenty of people in this country who could afford to buy the infrastructure necessary to build a team. The problem is without a marketing partner(s) to pay for whatever it costs to chase a championship, who can (or would want to) spend $1Mil-$3Mil or whatever the number is out of pocket? Forget ever turning a profit, it's literally a black hole the money gets thrown into. Look, there will always be drag racing, at some level, and there will always be successful guys like Virgil and others who are willing to spend money to go out and race. The reason I started this thread was I just think that if there is going to be a "Professional" series, than things need to be restructured so the numbers make more sense. Does anyone here disagree that we are a LONG way off from having an economy where $3Mil deals are plentiful? It's never been easy, and probably will only be harder going forward no matter how healthy the biz climate gets.

I don't think 18-wheelers are the problem. The problem is with the business model of "Professional" drag racing. There are plenty of people in this country who could afford to buy the infrastructure necessary to build a team. The problem is without a marketing partner(s) to pay for whatever it costs to chase a championship, who can (or would want to) spend $1Mil-$3Mil or whatever the number is out of pocket? Forget ever turning a profit, it's literally a black hole the money gets thrown into. Look, there will always be drag racing, at some level, and there will always be successful guys like Virgil and others who are willing to spend money to go out and race. The reason I started this thread was I just think that if there is going to be a "Professional" series, than things need to be restructured so the numbers make more sense. Does anyone here disagree that we are a LONG way off from having an economy where $3Mil deals are plentiful? It's never been easy, and probably will only be harder going forward no matter how healthy the biz climate gets.

How easy is it going to be to get that horse back into the barn, especially if the barn is on fire?

So many people, hardcore fans AND racers, are complaining about the State of the Nation over at the various sanctioning bodies that the lure to actually make the investment has got to be more than just financially lucrative.
Would you want to go spend 2/3rds of your year running around battling half of the stuff that the PSM guys have to?
Remember PST?
Oh wait, you now can't take your car out to suppliment you income without potentially LOSING OUT on the series that you are chasing?
A sanctioning body that has your pro class on a yo-yo every year (this isn't only a rant at NHRA...)

Like somebody famous said, you just can't get three regular guys together to put together a competitive car today.... not only because of the expense, but, IMHO, because of the amount of commitment necessary that is well above and beyond what was supposed to be the sprit of the sport in general. Where a third of your annual budget is spent on just getting the car and crew to the track (transporter, fuel, taxes, flights, rental cars, etc.). Most of you know I race a Jr. with my kid- open trailer, '78 Dodge 1/2 ton in town- rental RV on the long trips. We pull into divisionals where there are Top-kicks, stackers and Prevosts RV's!! Sure it's convienient, but some of it is the "Keeping Up with The Jones" mentality that becomes even more prevelant the further up the food chain you go. At what point do the accessories make the car perform better? And when does that just become overkill?

It's always been a money pit- dark and bottomless. The problem now is that the hole is wider- and if you're standing on the edge, it's much more difficult to leap into an abyss than it is leaping into a hole in the ground. Now is not a good time for anyone to make a blind investment- and those with the cash to invest are holding their cards closer than ever before. Would the sport be better with more folks that run like the Hartleys or Haddock? Don't know. Has the sport gotten better with the guys that run like the Sheik or Schu? Hmmmm....

Nunzio, I'm with you all the way on this. There needs to be an attempt to get the genie back in the bottle. People can talk all day long that it will never happen but what if we get down to 6 or 7 cars per fuel class at some races? It could easily happen and then those that say nothing can be done will get real creative real fast!.

Where some see doom and gloom, others see opportunity.

You have to consider the source when receiving information. Some times things are sensationalized to make the story better. For example, the story about real short fields at Virginia. At the time of the story, there were 19 FC and 16 TF entered at Virginia. One FC team had to withdraw due to a family member accident, so there are still 18 FC. This is off the driver's entry site, not the public site which is rarely correct.

There are a couple of rigs in my parking lot that will leave for Virginia today. Neither team spends anywhere near the numbers quoted. I know another car owner that leases his car out for approx $50,000.00 a race and makes a good living off of drag racing.

It costs a lot less per race to run a limited schedule than it does to run the full series. There are many people throughout the country putting plans together to race next year. Some will come to fruition, some will not. But I would expect the fields to be full at most events in 2010 when the gates open.

Makes you wonder how Terry Haddock is doing it all the more!:rolleyes:

Makes you wonder how Terry Haddock is doing it all the more!:rolleyes:
I think some of you look at this from the selfish side of the fence ... the haves will always have (been said before). Martin mentioned it in his post, you pull into a race a see all of these monster trailers and fancy coaches, especially in the sportsman ranks, but less funded Pro teams as well. If you took off the rosie colored glasses you would find many of these folks have thier entire lives mortgaged to the Nth degree. They have 2nd and 3rd mortgages on their primary homes, mortgages on a coach, etc. From a fans vantage point its a "looks good and smells good" kind of thing that presents the image of financial wellness. Many of us have neighbors like this, twice the house they need and two $40k vehicles in the driveway because they need to be like thier better off peers. If you knew the intimate details of thier finances, you might find many are living on the financial edge and 1 or 2 paychecks from real trouble. Joe mentioned Terry Haddock, understand it is highly unlikely he is getting freebies from anybody. At the rate they hurt parts, I would bet his IOU list is quite extensive. I'll bet he is not the only either. You get nothing for nothing ... trust me.

I think some of you look at this from the selfish side of the fence ... the haves will always have (been said before). Martin mentioned it in his post, you pull into a race a see all of these monster trailers and fancy coaches, especially in the sportsman ranks, but less funded Pro teams as well. If you took off the rosie colored glasses you would find many of these folks have thier entire lives mortgaged to the Nth degree. They have 2nd and 3rd mortgages on their primary homes, mortgages on a coach, etc. From a fans vantage point its a "looks good and smells good" kind of thing that presents the image of financial wellness. Many of us have neighbors like this, twice the house they need and two $40k vehicles in the driveway because they need to be like thier better off peers. If you knew the intimate details of thier finances, you might find many are living on the financial edge and 1 or 2 paychecks from real trouble. Joe mentioned Terry Haddock, understand it is highly unlikely he is getting freebies from anybody. At the rate they hurt parts, I would bet his IOU list is quite extensive. I'll bet he is not the only either. You get nothing for nothing ... trust me.

In 1985, a buddy and I ran a local 1/8th mile track. To end our season, we had a state championship race and booked in two alky funny cars--Tom Aker's Wizard, and Larry Reep from Texas. Reep pulled in with a Kodiak and a nice Chaparral with a first class alky car and all the stuff. A very impressive set up for a sportsman car in 85. My partner asked him what he did for a living, thinking he was probably pretty well off. He replied he worked as a machinist for $400 a week. He told my partner that he and his family raced--we dont eat out--we dont go to the movies--we dont take vacations--we race. He also said that his rig was the result of 20 years of hard work and just racing. I think a lot of guys are probably in that same position. I know some just have lots of bucks, but for every Kalitta, there are probably a hundred Larry Reeps. Lots of hard work over the years with constant updating, swapping, and doing nothing but investing in the race team. And as the previous poster noted, lots of others would be in bankruptcy if they missed a couple of paychecks.

That is for sure Mike. With the cost of living today I don't know how many people still can do it, let alone run a super comp car. I own a blown alcohol car that runs 7.0's to 6.70's and it's not easy to keep up with the bills. That's why I have the prospective I do.

Jim I met a widow of a former Nitro FC racer who used all he got from the sell of his Operation towards paying off 23 Credit cards!!! That is insane if you ask me...

Jim I met a widow of a former Nitro FC racer who used all he got from the sell of his Operation towards paying off 23 Credit cards!!! That is insane if you ask me...
Yeah, that's the way I feel Joe. That way of life isn't for me. Crap I want to hurry and pay off my mortgage 5 years early just to feel free and unburdened.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back