Sounds like good things for top fuel and fuel funny car next year. (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the link William. It would be great to see the costs get back under control. I want to see the likes of Butch Blair and Robert Reehl out their again!

More interestingly, he says he would have disqualified him. That run or from the entire event?

Last edited:
Let's see what happens when he recommends going back to 90%? We'll see who has the Power then. The Racers have been bitching for over a year about the extended costs of running 85%, in one ear out the other.

He said he was going to talk to all the crew chiefs and find a solution that everyone agrees with so whatever happens will probably be good.

Thanks for the link William. It would be great to see the costs get back under control. I want to see the likes of Butch Blair and Robert Reehl out their again!

James, you're singing my song! The truth is it costs more money to operate these cars then private operators can afford, and more money than most companies can or will commit to.

nnitro percentage is only one aspect to cutting costs

IMO the biggest increase in performance came about when the monster fuel pumps started pumping even more fuel into the fire breathing devil.
lower the fuel pump quanities and go to 90%
limit the flow around 80 gpm per pump and keep a handle on the amount of overdrive that the pump is driven.
lowering the blower overdrive will help as well.
sure performance will suffer but the sport will live longer.

The question is, why would they go back to 90% when they put rev limiters on to slow them down also?? although it didnt do much good. you would think if they bump it back up there would be more oildowns due to hitting the limiter sooner and seeing more damage. it will be interesting to see what happens.

IMO the biggest increase in performance came about when the monster fuel pumps started pumping even more fuel into the fire breathing devil.
lower the fuel pump quanities and go to 90%
limit the flow around 80 gpm per pump and keep a handle on the amount of overdrive that the pump is driven.
lowering the blower overdrive will help as well.
sure performance will suffer but the sport will live longer.
I remember Big Daddy did a little piece on fuel pumps, they sprayed it into a clear container, he said its the same as turning 8 of your average house showers on at once, it was incredible. I wish I could find the piece it was good.

Let's not get carried away here, to get those Independents back out you may as well slow them down to 4.80's-90's. These teams spend Mega $$$ on Parts inventory every year, and any rule change means they have to Buy new parts rendering the Old stuff useless. The only thing I read in the Article is Dan Olson's going to take feedback from the Racers/Crewchiefs. My bet is the 90% rule again IMO.

From what I read, 90% would allow the team's to lower the compression and blower overdrive allowing the motor's to live better when they hit the rev limiter, my guess is making power w/nitro instead of higher compression might be easier on parts

More interestingly, he says he would have disqualified him. That run or from the entire event?

The article ends there...would have been interesting to see where it went from there.

It all depends how how much independence the suits at Glendora give him. In other words, do they let him do the job he was hired for? Or do they tell him what THEY want, and just let him be the bad guy?

He did say that because the teams are forced to use higher compression, and more blower, they're on the verge of detonation all the time, and when the rev-limiter kicks in, the rods kick out.

Man.....whats w/ all the slow-em attitude?
Nitro cars have always made a mess...I like em to hiccup every once in awhile.
Since records have been kept the e.t. record gets broke every year.
Evryone says slow-em down...why? If they run 85% or 100% nitro thay will break something. Thats the nature of this game.
I have worked w/ a few crewchiefs that continue to push the timing advance and o.d.% knowing something will grenade.
People...we are talking about some big egos out there. Some tuners would rather go-up-in smoke rather than be out muscled near the finish line.
NHRA does not care about the teams on the playing field. They set the boundaries and thats the final straw.
Please do not read into the politics as more often than not we/you are creating this topic that is not on their to-do list.
100% nitro does allow the teams w/ less capital to be easier on parts though....

Looking at this realistically, the smart thing would be to bring back the percentage of Nitro to at least 90% and back the overdrive down. This would NOT slow the cars down but would give them roughly what they have now without overstressing the parts as they are now.

You can't do much about the compression as policing it would be a nitemare but you can control the % and the max amount of overdrive.

We all know this is costly as hell but if we could slow down the rate at which they use up parts it might actually allow some racers to make another race.
jim

I remember Big Daddy did a little piece on fuel pumps, they sprayed it into a clear container, he said its the same as turning 8 of your average house showers on at once, it was incredible. I wish I could find the piece it was good.

Wasn't that Steve Evans who did that piece? Or, maybe they BOTH did that story, at different times....I'm so foggy lately.

Since Ray Alley has the same background as Dan Olson. One can only assume that Ray Alley knew about the growing costs of the 85% rule. Did he ever try to address that problem? Or did NHRA just tell him to bad?:rolleyes:

A couple of years ago the NHRA museum had a plastic cylinder showing the amount of fuel at idle and at full throttle, it was incredible

You can't do much about the compression as policing it would be a nitemare but you can control the % and the max amount of overdrive.

We all know this is costly as hell but if we could slow down the rate at which they use up parts it might actually allow some racers to make another race.
jim

I have never tuned a blown nitro combination but if they raise the nitro % and lower the OD, why wouldn't you boost compression once again?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back