Sorry, But espn2; I gotta speak up... (1 Viewer)

What do you have against Pro Stock? Besides Indy Car they are the most Hi-Tech cars in racing. If you're a true fan of Drag Racing you would welcome all categories.

I like all the categories of racing too, I just like PS the least. I would say that F1 are the most hi tech cars in racing though.

enjoyed the broadcast and the countdown drama surrounding it.
thought espn did a good job of showing full nitro first rounds and abbreviated
PS & PSB first rounds, it was appropriate yesterday; first round losses by
top 5 FC teams set the stage for the remainder of elims. in FC.
IMO you have to account for new and/or casual viewers and hence the
technical features, although trivial to some, are applauded
and necessary to appreciating the subject matter.

I went back and watched a broadcast from when I was younger, thinking those were the best broadcasts (other then being on a week later on a Tuesday at 10pm). I was right... I posted a while ago the best announcers were Alan Reinhart and Bill Stephens, with Dave Mac and Steve Evans. Couldn't remember how I knew Alan did TV, but was reminded after watching this video.

They did the whole race in 45 mins. Well done.

1997 NHRA Atsco Nationals - YouTube

Just go back and use the "Diamond P" shows as a teaching aid.

If you applied that format with today's technology you would have a great program.

Well....at least I would enjoy watching it.

Just go back and use the "Diamond P" shows as a teaching aid.

If you applied that format with today's technology you would have a great program.

Well....at least I would enjoy watching it.

And that is 100% filtered down to what I am trying to say exactly, Folks we have a winner.

They did the whole race in 45 mins. Well done.
1997 NHRA Atsco Nationals - YouTube

the nhra shows of yesteryear are good that's for sure; both TNN and ESPN
versions offer many positives, but funny watching the '97 atsco nats., still
interviewing losers (alderman), so it's nothing new on today's shows,
and not really talking about dropped cylinders
and driving out of groove, it's just a simple explanation of 'smoking the tires'.

funny @ 36 min. mark they show yates/maskin 'new' scoop with advantages
only known by maskin & yates who developed it; don't think
at that time nhra became involved with this 'new' piece? could be wrong.

also, b. stephens reporting from r. higley's pit showing scuffed piston
causing loss to force.....600hp per cylinder in his explanation
- 60% increase in 15 yrs. (then to now)
- 26.67 hp increase per cylinder per year
- or roughly 210+ hp per year increase over 15 yrs.
- would be interesting to know what year/s had the biggest increases; when
did the volumes increase so much?....when nitro went to 85%?

Last edited:
the nhra shows of yesteryear are good that's for sure; both TNN and ESPN
versions offer many positives, but funny watching the '97 atsco nats., still
interviewing losers (alderman) and not really talking about dropped cylinders
and driving out of groove, it's just a simple explanation of 'smoking the tires'.

funny @ 36 min. mark they show yates/maskin 'new' scoop with advantages
only known by maskin & yates who developed it; don't think
at that time nhra became involved with this 'new' piece? could be wrong.

If I remember that's what NHRA Today was for. Following the back stories, and a segment or two a week on things like that. The race was all business. I guess that's just the way I liked it.

Al Hofmann 1998 NHRA Today - YouTube

Last edited:
2 thumbs up Nick--thats what we need. A 2 hour race show ( maybe even 1 1/2 hours-easy if you take out all the stuff you already showed Saturday). A 20 second recap the next week on NHRA Today-and the rest of the time with the back story-cool sportsman cars-Whatever crazy stuff Melanie is doing now etc. Show comparisons of various cars in super slo-mo--give Bob Frey 5 minutes to do whatever he wants.
I'd say do it as a pre-race show (doesn't EVERY other sport or form of racing have one?) But it would surely get pre-empted by collegate midget tossing.

I don't know RACE FANS, I think the way things are we should cherish the fact we're watching any Drag Racing at all. I'll hold my complaints for now!

ESPN 3 is perfect. Between the live Friday qualifying and live finals I haven't watched it on the network in forever.

The vast majority of us have much more knowledge and experience with drag racing than the average viewer and therefore, the broadcast seems boring. I'm not sure if ESPN2 has done any surveys as to the knowledge of the average viewers but I'm sure it is not to the level of most posters on this forum.

They do get rather redundant sometimes with their explanations but I'm just wondering if they get calls, emails and letters asking these questions?

But the extremely redundant question of how a driver feels after a win, loss, etc., has got to stop. We know how they feel already. Geez. And the drivers have got to come up with a different way of announcing their sponsors EVERYTIME they are interviewed.

I don't know RACE FANS, I think the way things are we should cherish the fact we're watching any Drag Racing at all. I'll hold my complaints for now!

At this cost....i'll pass....If im ever home to catch ESPN3 at round 1 2 3 and final times i will.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back