Sonoma (1 Viewer)

Nunz

Nitro Member
What an event! Wish I was there in person this weekend. For all the talk about the sport dying, it's really great to see a weekend with great racing, and strong crowds over the 3 day weekend. Denver was similar. Like other motorsports, we certainly have ongoing issues, and it certainly takes a lot of effort on the part of the tracks to bring in the crowds, but it's being done. The biggest challenge, always has been, always will be, is the cost of racing and trying to attract new teams to make the investment. They're out there though, as an example, it was great to see a buddy of my dad's from the Phoenix area, Greg Carillo make his TF debut in Denver. All in all there's been some great racing and I've really enjoyed the broadcasts.

My favorite part was JR Todd running down Beckman after what appeared to be certain defeat.
And I think Beckman was full of crap about a pan sensor shutting him down. You can clearly see the butterflies go closed when the crew probably ordered him to shut it off cuz he had a hole out and JR was seamingly dead in the water. Whoops. That of course is just my opinion based on what it looked like.
Either way that was about as far of a come from behind victory as there could be in a 1000'

The throttle lever at the injector is a two piece design. When it is activated it separates the two and your foot is still down but the throttle blades close. Leahy makes the parts.
Cool. Well I stand corrected about my assumption but like I said, either way that was an exciting race.

The in-car camera shot from Beckman's car when Todd blew by was pretty cool.

What an event! Wish I was there in person this weekend. For all the talk about the sport dying, it's really great to see a weekend with great racing, and strong crowds over the 3 day weekend. Denver was similar. Like other motorsports, we certainly have ongoing issues, and it certainly takes a lot of effort on the part of the tracks to bring in the crowds, but it's being done. The biggest challenge, always has been, always will be, is the cost of racing and trying to attract new teams to make the investment. They're out there though, as an example, it was great to see a buddy of my dad's from the Phoenix area, Greg Carillo make his TF debut in Denver. All in all there's been some great racing and I've really enjoyed the broadcasts.

I was there Friday and Saturday and I can say that was the most crowded Friday I have seen since I've attended Sonoma for the last 25 years and Saturday was close to a sellout as you can get and word throughout the race Sunday was a sellout.
Unfortunately it isn't like that at most events!

I was there Friday and Saturday and I can say that was the most crowded Friday I have seen since I've attended Sonoma for the last 25 years and Saturday was close to a sellout as you can get and word throughout the race Sunday was a sellout.
Unfortunately it isn't like that at most events!
I was there, looked sold out to me, first time there, loved it except for the dumbass outlaw car that oiled the track.

Rick

I was there, looked sold out to me, first time there, loved it except for the dumbass outlaw car that oiled the track.

Rick
No it wasn't sold out but it was the best crowd I've seen in twenty five years.
After seeing some of the other races like Chicago and many others sparse crowds on Friday and Saturday. I believe Sonoma can take on two races but the owners of the winery across the road would make sure it would never happen.
As far as the outlaw crap cars shouldn't be allowed at a national event.
Very boring 1/8 th mile no time crap!
They were also at the divisional race the weekend before the nationals.
I refer to them as the stove pipe racers that come from the land of blue tarps! LOL

Well, the outlaw thing might not have gone off very well. I'm sure they'll think twice before the next time, and maybe ask for containment diapers or something.

At least Glendora is trying something different.

The traditionalists amongst us might not approve, but at least they're trying SOMETHING.

Well, the outlaw thing might not have gone off very well. I'm sure they'll think twice before the next time, and maybe ask for containment diapers or something.

At least Glendora is trying something different.

The traditionalists amongst us might not approve, but at least they're trying SOMETHING.

I agree but outlaw small tire/big tire ain't it!
Pro Stock should be called the Camaro series, Pro Mod should be added.
I think they should bring back fuel altered.
Alan Reinhart even said I don't know where your going pro stock is up next the crowds flood from the stands after the last nitro car goes down the track.
Pro Stock and Pro Stock bike are boring, competitive, but boring none the less.
Maybe have Nostalgia Nitro funny cars and top fuel added. But Pro Stock and Pro Bikes should be at divisional races. The Nitro popping might keep people in the stands.
It's hard to figure what to do because Drag Racing isn't TV friendly no matter how hard the try.

I'm seriously considering making the trip over for the Sonoma/Seattle weekends next year. For anyone who was there - is that large main grandstand as far back as it appears on the show? I might opt for the other side of the track. The Friday night session always seems to be a hero session too - gotta be worth the price of admission alone!

I'm seriously considering making the trip over for the Sonoma/Seattle weekends next year. For anyone who was there - is that large main grandstand as far back as it appears on the show? I might opt for the other side of the track. The Friday night session always seems to be a hero session too - gotta be worth the price of admission alone!
The stands are back quite a bit, they are the NASCAR stands, on the other side they are closer temp stands but the sun hits you pretty hard in the afternoon.

Rick

Yes it should have its own zip code!
If you buy advanced seats ask for the Tower side it's much closer and also ask for a preferred parking for whatever days you go.
Trust me when you leave you'll know why.

My favorite part was JR Todd running down Beckman after what appeared to be certain defeat.
And I think Beckman was full of crap about a pan sensor shutting him down. You can clearly see the butterflies go closed when the crew probably ordered him to shut it off cuz he had a hole out and JR was seamingly dead in the water. Whoops. That of course is just my opinion based on what it looked like.
Either way that was about as far of a come from behind victory as there could be in a 1000'

Fast Jack is a straight shooter! If that's what he said I believe him.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back