Sonny Bryant (1 Viewer)

Sonny was a great guy. I always ran his cranks in my TA/FC's and my new Sonny Leonard hemi as well. His shop, in the two different locations he had (Orange, then Anaheim) while building cranks, was no more than 5 minutes from my shop in Orange. Once in a while the late Robert Goodwin (Brooks Rods owner), Sonny and I would go to lunch. Sometimes the late Bob Brooks (AFT Clutches) would join us. Seems we are loosing all the good guys. My friend, Mike Buonocore, worked for Sonny at his shop back when he was racing pro stock, well before he was building crankshafts.

Got this in an email today.

It is with a sad heart that I share the following . . .

Sonny Bryant
1948 - 2020

1597726361546.png

Herbert Franklin Bryant II, better known as "Sonny", passed away on Sunday August 9th, from Covid related complications at the age of 71. His beloved companion of 15 years, labrador Gretchen, passed shortly after the same day.

Sonny was preceded in death by his two parents, Herb and Martha Bryant, who moved to California after serving in WWII and raised their two children, Sonny and Linda, here in Orange. Sonny was always drawn to mechanical things. Martha loved to tell the story about how Sonny took apart her toaster as a youngster, because he wanted to see how it worked from the inside, and would beam as she bragged how it worked (better in her opinion) after he put it back together. Herb and Martha owned Westco Auto Supply on Katella, it was there Sonny developed a reputation for having a knack for "fixing things", especially engines. Sonny gained a reputation as both a talented engine builder and racer while still a student at Villa Park High School (class of 1967). In fact, Sonny, also a talented baseball player, was "kicked off" the baseball team by Coach Pomeroy, who told him he had to pick one passion or the other. The racing world is lucky he dropped baseball. In true Sonny fashion he remained friendly and in touch with his coach, who helped him design a batting cage for his grandson nearly 50 years later.

Sonny founded Bryant Racing in 1973. Initially, an engine building company, Bryant Racing began producing crankshafts around the time Sonny hung up his driver's helmet. Before retiring from racing himself Sonny raced at several levels before becoming the ProStock builder/driver icon he is. With several National Championships and records of his own, Sonny built many award winning engines and was known as a force both on the track and in the pit. Fiercely competitive, Sonny shifted focus wholly to manufacturing the best crankshafts possible in 1981. Known as an innovator and a perfectionist who produced exceptional crankshafts, Sonny built Bryant Racing into a successful business. Today Bryant Racing crankshafts are used in every platform of racing with customers all around the world.

A licensed pilot for nearly 50 years, Sonny enjoyed flying himself down to Cabo San Lucas where he could go deep sea fishing on his boat. An acknowledged workaholic, sailing the seas while blasting country music, in the hunt for dorado and tuna was Sonny's true respite.

Those who knew Sonny knew him as a gracious and giving man. Philanthropically supporting numerous charities, especially those who served animals, he enjoyed helping others do good work. Sonny enjoyed the equestrian community of OPA where he lived the last 17 years and would spend his Saturday working on the trails in his tractor when needed. He loved helping maintain the trails his girlfriend, sister and granddaughter, all equestrians themselves, would ride on. If you ever needed a favor the answer was almost always "yes". Well actually it was "Do I get paid?" If you asked how much, the answer was always "a penny". It was this sarcastic wit and giving heart that earned Sonny the loyal friendship and love of so many who will immeasurably miss him.

In addition to the many friends who love and mourn this loss, Sonny will be especially missed by his longtime girlfriend Robin Brooks, sister Linda Herrington (Jack), daughter Darshan Smaaladen (Jim), grandchildren Mason, Bryant and Andrea Smaaladen, niece Traci Blume (Chris), and nephew Trevor Herrington, and extended family (Robin), daughters Kandiss Connor (Matt), Erica Grant (Chris), and Elizabeth Brooks. Out of respect for the seriousness of the virus that stole this vibrant, strong, LOVED man, there will be no public service. Instead, the family asks you to raise a bottle of Pacifico in his honor and share your favorite Sonny story in the guestbook.

https://www.shannonfamilymortuary.com/obituary/Herbert-BryantII

In lieu of flowers, if you feel so inclined, please consider a donation to the Racers for Christ organization, https://teamrfc.org/ or the ASPCA www.ASPCA.org. The two things Sonny was passionate about, racing and his dog.

Thank you Sonny for your generosity and kind support over the years. We will miss you.

-- Sherry Hart-Panttaja,
President of Orange Park Association Board of Directors​

STAY CONNECTED:​

Last edited:
Jeff, I'm 2 years older than Sonny was. How well I know about how fast life passes. Heh There is a Heaven and that is what gives me the strength to keep going. I have smacked the wall a few times, not to mention going up in smoke or taking out the cones once in awhile.....

I printed the picture of Sonny and Gretchen that Randy G. posted. At the dinner table last night I showed it to my family, along with a brief account of Sonny's life, including his relationship with Gretchen and the fact that she passed away later the same day that Sonny passed. My wife started tearing up. I never met Sonny but I remember him from the Pro Stock days way back. Wish I would have made the effort just to say hello at some point.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back