892 Cu. Inches?? (1 Viewer)

What's the point of having a huge motor if you can only go 8.90? Just my opinion, of course.

Does the NHRA allow biofuels in any class? If so, my fantasy digger would be a comp dragster with Galpin AutoSports' supercharged biodiesel Duramax. 800hp and 1400 ft/lbs of torque. And the exhaust smells like french fries!

What's the point of having a huge motor if you can only go 8.90? Just my opinion, of course.

If you have more power than your opponent, you can stay on the stop longer and chase them down, having the advantages of coming from behind instead of being chased. Have it all play out in front of you instead of having to look back and forth between over your shoulder and where you're going.

Buzzz, if they can keep the digger light enough, and throw nitrous at it, maybe we have a new combo for TAD? I mean if it's over 2000HP without spray, imagine the potential. Maybe not 5.20's, but in the 5's, would you agree?

The theory is what is called "controlling the finish line". If you have the bigger speed (read: hp) you come off the throttle stop later, and are catching up to the other car at the finish. You can see the other car the entire time, and can judge if you're going to win -- and get off the throttle if you need to prevent a break out. If you're in the slower car, you never see the other car, and can't play the "finish line game". Many who play this game tune to an 8.85 or so and count on getting off the throttle at the end.

This is all well and good, but many of these bigger motors are less consistent. So, the other plan of attack in the Super classes is to go with less hp, but to try to hit the number very closely and consistently. If you can tune to something less than an 8.91, that leaves a window of only a hun for these "gamers" to shoot for -- and I challenge anyone to consistently use their right foot to tune to 0.01.

As in anything, there are those who always want to throw more money and horsepower at the problem, and there are advantages and disadvantages to doing so.

Here is a shot after kicking a rod....

2755528025_de5f099e06_o.jpg

Does the NHRA allow biofuels in any class? If so, my fantasy digger would be a comp dragster with Galpin AutoSports' supercharged biodiesel Duramax. 800hp and 1400 ft/lbs of torque. And the exhaust smells like french fries!

We don't all run just super comp. Some of us run Top Sportsman, Super Eliminator, Quick 16/32 series, etc that have a quicker or no index. See the forest for the trees here. Faster car you have means more classes open for you. Particularly when you are at a divisional or some brackets were there are races within races.

Ethanol is allowed and used very well. Nobody uses biodiesel yet. My understanding is that it's a fairly 'heavy' fuel though.

Last edited:
OK, Paul, I give up, what are those shots really of? That's really cool... :)

Christopher - that's a Wartsila-Sulzer 14 cylinder turbo two stroke diesel, primarily used in container ships. 1,556,002 cid - not much on horsepower (only 108,920 hp), but killer torque (5,608,312 lb/ft) - :eek:
Doesn't rev very well either - 102 rpm - :D

Christopher - that's a Wartsila-Sulzer 14 cylinder turbo two stroke diesel, primarily used in container ships. 1,556,002 cid - not much on horsepower (only 108,920 hp), but killer torque (5,608,312 lb/ft) - :eek:
Doesn't rev very well either - 102 rpm - :D

2 stroke?!? I'm gonna put one on my dirtbike!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back