So who's coming to visit me in Seattle next weekend? (2 Viewers)

Kris

Nitro Member
I can't believe the Northwest Nationals are just around the corner. I'm pretty stoked. I will be going out to the track Friday by myself. My husband, our cutie pie Lyla and I will be at the track on Saturday. I am still undecided about Sunday simply because taking Lyla both weekend days is asking a lot of a seven and a half month old, even though she does pretty well with outings, that's a lot even for her.

Seeing as how getting up at 7 a.m. on a Saturday is not out of the question for me anymore, I'd love to meet up with anybody coming out, plus it will be fun for anyone who likes babies to see my munchkin.

So, Saturday? Who wants to meet up? My e-mail is [email protected]. If you want my cell (and you're not Joe who already has it... well he might still have it) then shoot me a PM.

I am really looking forward to taking Lyla to her first race... though she's already been to two in utero. LOL.

Oh, I also have a three story package I've worked up for the paper. I just need to get a hold of one last person... I've got a piece on local boy Brad Plourd -- next year I'll get with the other guys from Maple Valley -- as well as a story on the guys from Ashwell Racing from Oregon who seem to burn their top alcohol funny car down every time they race in the national event up here then finally I found out that Shawn Langdon has a crew guy (cylinder heads) named Wes who is from Kent. All I need now is to get Shawn on the phone.
Some of our other papers in the group are doing some stories on other sportsman drivers from the area, so, we're really sportsman heavy this year.
All this stuff kind of fell in my lap, so, that's why I didn't ask for story ideas this year... I had it nailed down about a month ago. Heh.

Anyway... I'm feeling good about things. How about you?

I’ll be there Friday and Sunday, doin’ my regular “Photographer-in-the-stands for National Dragster” gig. Saturday, I’ll be shooting the hydroplanes at Black Lake in Olympia (I’m Media Director for ‘Grand Prix West’). Sure wish the western-swing hadn’t been changed up… --M--

We`re coming up Thursday, Kris. Only going to the races on Sunday though. Going to the Yankees/Mariners games on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Might make it to the track on Saturday as the game doesn`t start til 7:10. Priorities have changed!

Call Whit, and ask him to show and give REAL INSIGHT as to what
the future of the nhra{caps purposly off} should look like.
My opinion only, but if you care about the sport, thats what you
will do.

John Matson

As a Super Comp racer (or any sportsman racer) at a national event, we'll be there all week (wed: park, thu: tech, fri: qual, sat: elims, sun: finals) waiting, waiting, and apparently from the weather report, sweating. :)

As a Super Comp racer (or any sportsman racer) at a national event, we'll be there all week (wed: park, thu: tech, fri: qual, sat: elims, sun: finals) waiting, waiting, and apparently from the weather report, sweating. :)

I hear ya Chris. I've been watching it for the last 2 weeks & Fri-Sun just keeps getting hotter & hotter!!!

Where do they usually park you guys? Behind the tower on the road course?

Wayne :)

Where do they usually park you guys? Behind the tower on the road course?

All depends. We parked last night after coming down from a race in Canada (we got a WIN!), and got position number 55 in line. FWIW, last year by Sunday night they were at something like 135. So we may get lucky and get up in the area east of the pro pits. But usually we get down on the road course. We found a spot last year that we liked (flat, easy in/out) that we'll shoot for, but I had #18 last year. Only will know on Wed afternoon :)

Weather report is stating 90 on Friday? Wow, from the mid 60's to 90 in just a few days. Our weather is sooooo crazy. Of course that all could change by tomorrow. :) 90 is a little too hot for me....gonna be alot of red people!!

Kris, I will be at the races all three days. Coming from So Oregon to see my son, Randy, who works on Shawn Langdon's crew. Perhaps check with Randy to see which guy is Wes....I only see them all once a year and can't keep track! Ask for me in the Hospitality area...I'd love to meet you.

Hey Kris, we'd love to meet you in person. Stop by the Napa/Walery's Pizza alcohol funny car and introduce yourself. Also, when does the article come out in print?

Kris, I will be at the races all three days. Coming from So Oregon to see my son, Randy, who works on Shawn Langdon's crew. Perhaps check with Randy to see which guy is Wes....I only see them all once a year and can't keep track! Ask for me in the Hospitality area...I'd love to meet you.

I got to talk to Wes on Friday... cool guy. I will swing by and say hello. I always try to introduce myself to folks I interview for the Seattle race because it's always over the phone. Good for folks to put a face to the name.

Hey Kris, we'd love to meet you in person. Stop by the Napa/Walery's Pizza alcohol funny car and introduce yourself. Also, when does the article come out in print?

I'll definitely swing by, probably on Friday, I think I'm going to roll with press credentials Friday and shoot photos in the pits. I've got another guy with better equipment to shoot pros and our local sportsman racers (I don't have many but some of our sister papers have a bunch) on track. Friday is the only day (or at least it was last year) where NHRA will allow photogs to shoot track side.

The story will be in this Friday's print edition, though it will probably be up on the web before that.

As for stories, I'm maxed out... I usually only do one a year, but I'm doing three. I am not the only one writing sports and I know my colleague who is based out of the Kent office has a couple other sports stories so I am sure I am maxed out as far as what I can run. But thanks for the ideas folks. I likely won't have time to do anything else at this point. :)

Looking forward to seeing folks. Any tips for bringing a little one with me to the track? She's 7 1/2 months old.

I'll email you tomorrow. I have been bringing my son to the track since he's been 8 weeks old and he's now 5. I can give you some great tips.

I gotta try that sometime...

"Hi sir can I help you..?"

"Uh Yes... "MA" sent me...."

"MA? Who's MA"

"If you have to ask.... you just don't get it..."... ;)

Have a good time at the races "MA"...

Tim, that's funny! Actually, the "Ma" deal started at the races. Randy's friends began calling me that years ago. I've got more kids than I know what to do with........LOL.

Look forward to the e-mail Chris B... :D

Lyla handled our Fourth of July fireworks (we light them off in the street in front of our house and our neighborhood sounds like a war zone) like a champ — she fell asleep halfway through us lighting off fireworks — so I think she'll do well at the track. At least for one day.
A friend of mine has an extra headset we can use for Lyla to protect her little ears.
I'm just trying to decide if I want to use a stroller or carry her around in the Baby Bjorn. Hmm.

Rich, it sounds like you're going to have fun at Woodburn.

So, anybody wanna meet up Saturday morning at the track? We could even meet up in Covington for breakfast if you guys want. There's a new place called 2seven2 that I hear has a good breakfast or Applebee's has a good, cheap breakfast menu on weekends, too. :D

Kelly, Joe: Time sure does fly by. My son will be in kindergarten in the fall. If you look on our Faceook page under photos you will see the most current picture of him.

Hey Joe, you got any photos of Brad Plourd from this year? :D

Shoot me an e-mail at work if you do, [email protected]

Ooh, that reminds me, I better be sure to charge up my camera battery tonight. ;)

I just finished writing my NHRA stories. I am pretty excited about them.

It's funny with this weather, we've been waiting for summer for so long, they move the Seattle race up a week and it seems like it's just in time for the start of summer here. LOL.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back