Shipping Horror Story (1 Viewer)

rocketman

Nitro Member
I will withold names for obvious reasons but I have to get this off my chest!

I was asked to do a job on Tuesday that had to be shipped in time for a meeting on Friday in California. Being that I work a regular job during the day, I was limited to nights to get it done. Anyway I worked until
after midnight two nights in a row to get it done so it could be shipped on Thursday so it would get there Friday. I take the job down to the shipping stors on my lunch hour Thursday. I said this has to be in California for a meeting on Friday.

No problem, I fill out the label and it's off. I then get a call from the person who was suppose to get it this morning, tonight, and it never got to him. I track it and it said that it was delayed at the hub one extra day. Now it won't get there until MONDAY! It's too late the the event's over and I'm screwed. I called the number and they won't do nothing about it? How does an over night package get delayed at the hub when I turned it in on time?

From my own past experiences I'm willing to bet this was UPS. No need to confirm or deny, Rich.

UPS sucks on overnight/next day packages. Actually, they suck on any shipping method. My hubby had the same issue as you, Rich and he called until something was done. He was finally refunded the cost of shipping and a little extra for damage control due to the item not being received when promised.

Listen to this one.... Our nephews birthday was yesterday, And he wanted this certain computer game. none in Mass. So we find one for my wifes sister here in Cal. About $20.00 game.. To ship it overnight $X then because it has to be delivered on a Saturday,$X Total cost to ship $20.00 game -----$60.55.--FED EX--- I think UPS and FedEx aught to merge and call it Fed Up...

Lately, I've been using the US Post office and they have done a better job at half the price. The client had an account with the shipper which was why we used their services.

I ordered a laptop from Staples and it was going to be shipped UPS to my door. They told me that it would be here Friday and so I had tracked the package earlier that morning and it said it was out for delivery I had somebody cover my business while I did lunch etc so if it came, I wouldn't miss it.

UPS truck rolls up and they are sitting outside my door for about 15 minutes before they come in. Turns out, they LOST the package. They knew it had been scanned into the truck, but couldn't find it.

They delivered a flexplate, rings, but no laptop. Then I signed for the packages that did come and called up Staples and UPS and Staples told me they didn't have any control over UPS, but they'd send me a complimentary coupon. UPS said "Well, I'm sorry but we can't find it, see if it shows up Monday!"

UPS drove up about an hour later though, they had put the package with an address similar to mine. Makes you wonder how many other packages that I didn't expect delievered on a certain day went to the animal shelter before they came here.

A friend who works for Sony told me that UPS pays back over 1 million a year in insurance due to lost/damaged delieveries. Not sure of that is the entire company or just his local area.

U
People
Suck
:D

From my own past experiences I'm willing to bet this was UPS. No need to confirm or deny, Rich.

UPS sucks on overnight/next day packages. Actually, they suck on any shipping method. My hubby had the same issue as you, Rich and he called until something was done. He was finally refunded the cost of shipping and a little extra for damage control due to the item not being received when promised.

I have never had one problem with UPS. Fed Ex is my nightmare. Next time they get something right it will be the first time.

Then there is the USPS, our local post office delivers half of my mail to my address, and half to the animal shelter. I get the animal shelters, they get mine.

I've gotten my neighbors to the right mail in my box, and my mail is in the box to my left.

UPS sucks on overnight/next day packages. Actually, they suck on any shipping method. My hubby had the same issue as you, Rich and he called until something was done. He was finally refunded the cost of shipping and a little extra for damage control due to the item not being received when promised.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Oue experience with UPS could not be more different. We average at least one overnight shipment a day and five ground shipments. And an occasional overnight out of the country. UPS is especially good at delivering hero cards to NHRA racetracks. We have had the same driver for four years - if we are running behind, he adjusts his schedule to come back when we call him on his cell phone. We have NEVER had a problem or a lost shipment - unless we provided incorrect information.
As far as FedEx - forget it!

I don't know why my package got delayed at the Salem terminal but its no good to anyone now. Overnight means Overnight! There no excuse for this.

Last edited:
I tried to ship a fuel pump bracket to Ron's in Arizona years ago via UPS. When it didn't get there and I tried to track it, they said they lost it, last showing that it was in Washington state somewhere! Don't know what it is now, but the $100 automatic/minimum insurance more than paid for it. Just glad it wasn't a time sensitive issue.

Each of these companies have their good and bad points, you just have to hope that when something is critical you catch whomever you use on a good day!

The company I used to work for had a deal with DHL... their online app was slow as molasses but they'd pick up as late as 6:00 with no extra fees. This was particularly handy when I had a last minute shipment to make after their regular pickup had come and gone.

One of the cool things about USPS is their P.O. Box delivery for next day service, they'll even deliver on Sunday for that (or at least they used to) and the price is the same regardless of the day.

I used to work for UPS as a delivery driver and they take shipping very seriously as they take staying alive @ intersections very seriously. Next day air was very important on getting the package there by 10:30 am. There is no delivery agencies that have the on-time % as often as UPS...If next day air (2dx) was not there shipping was refunded so they did not like you to miss those deliveries.
I as a driver would find packages in my truck that did not show up on my DIAD (hand held scanner) and vice-versa. But I would never tell a customer that their package was lost or not in my truck. If you insure your packages and they are lost they pay-up, no problem. On an average day I would have 250-300 residential stops or if I had a business route it would be around 150. The amount of cargo on a business route would be around 4500-7000 lbs daily. It kicks your butt....Ever see a chubby UPS driver? Not to often....and they had great benefits, even if you worked part-time you got em...I could make 55 stops per hour and thats what they expected. As a service provider (delivery driver) they have the safest fleet in the world...
UPS on the inside is top shelf, management would load trucks if needed. They share profits and discuss once-a-week if the center made money or not. It was the first place I worked where evryone was on the same team, no "us and them."
Most delivery drivers (2 axles) would make around $60,000 to 80,000 dollars a year and if you had a CDL w/ endorsements such as doubles/triples you made $100,000 easily......In my opinion there is no other group that could match UPS efforts....I say insure your packages for more four-times their value and if it is lost....your paid, simple as that...

I've had some nightmare experiences to, mostly with Fed Ex though.

USPS in Austin is Very Slow Delivery out to our shop and recording studio, but outbound, they haven't missed a beat, and the postal lady told me they were audited in 06, and found to have 99% success on their overnight delivery which was higher than All the competiion and cost less.

Nancy

I work for a regional delivery company Lone Star Overnight (delivery driver), Lone Star Overnight! We have something like a 99.6 somthing % sucess rate but only serve major cities in Texas and OK, west LA, and Las Cruses. Our basic serve is 10:30am the next morning. I really enjoy it. I never hear many complains from our customers about UPS/Fed EX but some people really dont like the DHL guys.

I tried to ship a fuel pump bracket to Ron's in Arizona years ago via UPS. When it didn't get there and I tried to track it, they said they lost it, last showing that it was in Washington state somewhere! Don't know what it is now, but the $100 automatic/minimum insurance more than paid for it. Just glad it wasn't a time sensitive issue.

Hey Ron, I bought that on eBay one month later! Thanks Buddy!

I work for a regional delivery company Lone Star Overnight (delivery driver), Lone Star Overnight! We have something like a 99.6 somthing % sucess rate but only serve major cities in Texas and OK, west LA, and Las Cruses. Our basic serve is 10:30am the next morning. I really enjoy it. I never hear many complains from our customers about UPS/Fed EX but some people really dont like the DHL guys.
I used to use y'all OFTEN when I worked for another division of my current company. AWESOME service and reliability! I never had ONE problem!

Hey Ron, I bought that on eBay one month later! Thanks Buddy!

LOL, it was their high mount door car bracket that came with my used flying toilet setup. They were going to give me a credit towards a low mount. I just pocketed the hundred bucks and made my own! Probably ended up on your bargainland described as?????????

Speaking of shipping and bargainland! I saw a new radiator for a Dodge pickup that I could have bought for 99 cents. Shipping from Tennessee to Tennessee would have been fifty bucks!

We are in the Camaro and Chevelle parts business, and we deal with the shipping nightmares daily. UPS has the best drivers in the business, gives mostly great service, but has satan himself running the accounting department. They have more BS charges than most banks, and dont have anyone who works in the offices that have a remote clue about customer service. We have used them for 25 years, and have never had a problem with a driver, but have never had anything but problems with administration, accounting, and damage claim settlement. They are TERRIBLE. I told an account manager one time that they should fire everyone in the office and replace them with the guys and gals in the brown suits, because they were not only the only ones who knew what was going on, they were also the only ones who CARE!!!:mad:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back