Why are the delivery companies mostly worthless these days? (1 Viewer)

Nitro Member
UPS, Fed-Ex, DHL...not a damn one of them can seem to deliver a package on time. :mad: I don't order much stuff that needs to be shipped but when I do I swear that nearly every single time they screw something up.

Current example: Fed-Ex was supposed to deliver a package to me on Friday. It never showed. Saturday morning I called to make sure it would be delivered and I was told it was on the truck and not to worry. 5pm rolls around and still no package. I call again and ask what's going on. I'm told they deliver until 8pm so it'll be there. Sure as ****, it never showed up. They don't deliver on Sunday or Monday so that means that I won't get my package until Tuesday, if they don't screw that up too. :rolleyes: I'm about ready to go postal on somebody. :mad:

Kat ordered a ring from Monkey Wards... Please note We Live in Norfolk, Va... Ring was shipped 01/03/08 via Fed Ex Purple... and was delivered 01/08/08 just in time for our anniversary....

At some office in Chicago....:eek::mad:

Day in/day out, Don't have a problem with Brown or Yellow and docs seem to travel well with purple... I will not use Fed Ex Ground...

d'kid

I ordered and MSD Opti Spark from Summit for my Z28 last spring. I ordered it on a Tuesday late afternoon and it was in my hands on Wednesday morning.

A 4L60E transmission I bought was sent to me in CA from S. Carolina.
It was in a big plastic clamshell shipping case.
Somewhere along the way, the sticker/tag fell off.
Trans was lost for 2 weeks.
UPS has special teams assigned to find lost items in their system.
They finally found it in Utah.

UPS seems to be better than FedEx.
One of the mods on the corvette forum I hang out in works for UPS.
He was saying FedEx ships their stuff thru UPS many times!

A 4L60E transmission I bought was sent to me in CA from S. Carolina.
It was in a big plastic clamshell shipping case.
Somewhere along the way, the sticker/tag fell off.
Trans was lost for 2 weeks.
UPS has special teams assigned to find lost items in their system.
They finally found it in Utah.

UPS seems to be better than FedEx.
One of the mods on the corvette forum I hang out in works for UPS.
He was saying FedEx ships their stuff thru UPS many times!

Fedex is BY FAR the better choice if you are going to ship. I ordered my son a scooter 2 weeks before Christmas and was to be delivered in 2-3 days by UPS. Needless to say the package was lost...and finally found 2 days AFTER Christmas and it arrived 3 days later!!! When the driver showed up he put the box (or what was left of it) on the porch and tried to bolt!!! I ran out the door and caught him so I could refuse the package. This box looked like it was drug behind the truck from where it was picked up all the way to my front door. We filed a claim with UPS, which of course they are trying to deny, and told the scooter company to ship Fedex Express or Ground.

By the way, has anybody here ever met a UPS driver that smiles or says andthing resembling "Thank you" or "Have a nice day"?:rolleyes:

By the way, has anybody here ever met a UPS driver that smiles or says andthing resembling "Thank you" or "Have a nice day"?:rolleyes:
No! The UPS pricks are the worst. A few times in the past I've been home when they delivered and they rarely bothered to knock, just drop it and run. One time the package had to be signed for and the driver knocked once very softly and then hightailed it for his truck. I was in the kitchen and by the time I opened the front door he was already driving off! I called UPS and told them that if he wasn't back with my package before 5pm I was going to their warehouse and there'd be a scene. He was back 40 minutes later. :D

Several years I bought an audio rack for my audio components. A few days later I checked the tracking online to see if it had been shipped yet and it said it had. Funny, I hadn't seen the box anywhere. I went outside and looked around and sure enough it was hidden stuffed between the bushes and the house where you couldn't see it. Thankfully I found it when I did because a nasty thunderstorm rolled through later that day.

Another time I ordered an amplifier from a private seller and he shipped it COD. I had the money order ready for when the UPS guy showed up. A few days later he shows up with my amp, I hand him my money order and all was fine, at least I thought. Several days later I get a call from UPS demanding payment for the amp. I told the idiot it was shipped COD, I gave the driver the money order and he handed me the box with the amp. They told me they didn't have the check so I told them they need to figure it out with the driver because he obviously lost it, I had nothing to do with it. A few days later I get a snotty letter in the mail from UPS saying they're going to turn it into collections unless I pay them again. I told them to go to hell, it was a COD and I wouldn't have possession of the amp if I hadn't given the driver the money order. A few weeks later I got another letter again threatening me so I called and ripped into them and told them if I heard one more peep about this from them I'm going to an attorney. I never heard another thing.

My most recent UPS screw-up happened about 1 year ago when I ordered some RAM for my computer from Newegg. I watched the tracking and one day it said it was delivered to my front porch. Funny, I had been home the entire day and didn't hear a thing. I went outside and checked and nothing was there. Turns out the idiot driver dropped it off at a house about 1.5 miles away. The street name wasn't even close and neither was the number. The RAM was never seen again. :rolleyes:

The street name wasn't even close and neither was the number. The RAM was never seen again. :rolleyes:

FedEx lost my laptop, luckily Staples rectified the problem by locating a laptop in town that was the same model at one of their stores within 25 miles of me, and gave me a 50 dollar gift card to make up for it. Plus they credited me back the cost of the 2 day shipping I had paid for. It was later found at the Vets office. The number is the same.

FedEx also delivering some supplies that were due to the Vets office so I apparently signed for drugs that only a person with a special license should have. I made the mistake of not checking the address before signing.

I orderd Lug Nuts from Jegs and UPS delivered the to the vets, the vets closed early that day and was going to be closed the next day and Monday. By Monday I had found the lug nuts locally and Jegs wound up telling me to keep the lugs because it wasn't worth it to them to pay for them to be shipped back. The credited teh whole amount back to me.

Many years ago I was a driver for UPS and I can only speak of my experience w/ the company..
They are a very successful shipping company w/ the highest % of accurate deliveries of all the shipping companies and they have the safest fleet in regards to safe drivers in the world..

If you need next day then pay and if it is not on time then it is usually free to the shipper..
If you use basic ground than insure the goods and if it is lost they will re-imburse w/ no questions asked..
If a UPS driver does a D.R. (driver release) @ your home then inspect and follow-up if needed..BTW UPS will only D.R. for residential drops..And UPS trains their employees to leave the scene ASAP due to customers needing help and from talking...A drivers times is monitered @ the control center thru their DIAD (hand-held device) and managers expect constant movement..
And when I drove they paid $30.00 and hour and get every penny out of you..

They (UPS) take shipping very seriously w/in the organization and I found that most drivers/warehouse workers were very commited to their jobs..

UPS drivers have the most workload in the industry..During peak season (Christmas time) the average UPS driver will have 250 stops/3 tons of cargo to deliver for a residential route...
And if you have a business route you could expect 150--200 stops w/ 5 tons of cargo..
And if UPS needs a signature for a residential stop it is due to two reasons...Shipper requires signature or someone from that area/neighborhood has filed more than one claim saying they never received their package to which UPS pays a minumum of $100.00 unless insured for more..
I use UPS ground and USPS and have never had a problem...

This may be a bit off subject but a friend of my always refers to UPS as:

United
Parts
Smashers

Dave

United
Parts
Smashers

Dave
That's not far off many times. I post at a couple home audio forums and many people have posted pics over the years of equipment that looked like it was run over by a tractor-trailer when it got to their house. :rolleyes: A lot of it was vintage equipment that can't be replaced.

Did ya hear ups is buying fedex... they're gonna call the new company Fedup

ok so its an old joke:D

United
Parts
Smashers

Dave

LOL, they dropped and damaged an otherwise very cherry KB block on it's way to a friend of mine's. Took weeks to get someone to come out and look at the damage so they could cut him a check to have it repaired. No windows but, now it's been welded around the accessory/what would be the water pump holes on a wet block.

Years ago I bought a used flying toilet and UPS'd the high mount/door car fuel pump bracket to Rons in Arizona to exchange for a low mount. After it didn't get there, I tracked it and the last place they showed it on their computer was Washington state somewhere! Got $100 check from them and ended up making my own.

A long time ago I used to deliver parts for a dealership. I had daily drops to UPS and frequently got to watch them kicking packages across the warehouse.

Now, when I get a shipment of glass I am watching for my driver & headed outside as soon as I hear the truck turn up the street because the packages are frequently damaged and it has to be noted if I have to make a claim for the glass.

I have no belief that my packages will arrive undamaged. Although they frequently do I don't trust it to happen. If I have a large delivery it's much easier for me to take a long weekend and drive it myself.

Or

U
People
Suck

A friend who has MS used to get shipments that require a signature due to FDA regulations and it was clearly noted on the package in quite a few places including the mailing label. It could also only be left with one of 3 people, herself, her mom, or dad and that too was clearly stated on the label that ID was required. The first time she was to get one of these packages the driver left it near the backdoor. She gets a phone call from the shipper asking if she had recieved it yet as their records showed it was left about an hour before and no record of a signature. She then checked and it was there. The shipper was not too happy and a phone call was placed to UPS. The next couple of shipment were OK, but they just left it again on about the 4th shipment. Again the shipper called asking if it was there. This time they again called UPS and threatened to report them to the FDA. Apparently UPS must have to follow some sort of chain of command for these FDA shipments and any missing shipments and those left without a signature too often must be reported to them, too many screw ups and UPS can not longer deliver them. This time the local UPS manager called her and apoligized said it would never happen again etc. Things did get better as they only screwed up maybe 2 times over the next couple years. To be on the safe side the shipper would call her each time after delivery was made to be sure she got it. Luckily she is not dealing with those shipments anymore.

Ok my ups horror story

Couple years ago I ordered a computer chassis and parts.
I get home from work one evening and there’s a slip on my door saying they will re attempt to deliver my package the next day between 12 and 2 pm.
Next day I let the boss know I need to take a long lunch so I can be home for the delivery. I get home around 11:45pm there’s another slip on the door saying a delivery was attempted and will re attempt next day between 2 and 4pm. Pissed, I call the customer service and they explain the driver was ahead of schedule and arrived before the specified time. So I say just forget the delivery since apparently 2 to 4pm, actually means anytime the driver gets there. So I’ll just pickup my stuff at the local Pickup center. Next day I get to the pickup center after work and there’s a guard at the door who will not let me in because with so many people already in line the place will not be able to close on time. Next day I get to the pickup center a little earlier and the guard at the door, once again does not let me in. apparently you have to pick up your package on the day you specified and that day only, not any days thereafter without an appointment. Next day I get there ready to explode and there’s a line of about 6 or 7 people with one girl behind the counter, each customer giving her a hard time and by the time I get there I didn’t have the heart to make her day any worst and I knew she personally had nothing to do with my situation, so I had to just let it go. :mad:

I don't know which one is worse.

FedEx - delivered my passport to the wrong house. I live at 28 S. Main St....there is NO 28 N. Main St...the package was supposed to be signed for and I was 1 day away from leaving for a cruise which I wouldn't have been able to take without my passport. A little old lady, tracked us down on a Sunday night to tell us the the FedEx truck left someting on her front porch that belonged to me. She lived at 47 N Main....:mad:

UPS - DH ordered reloading supplies which are considered hazardous materials and must be signed for...nope - They just left the box on the front porch..we weren't home all day. Thank goodness it was still there when we got there. :mad:

Well, I finally received my package today. :rolleyes: The delivery driver was a nice guy and I didn't even say anything to him about it but I did call the corporate customer service number today and spoke with a supervisor to voice my displeasure. It turns out that the 2 idiots that I spoke with on Saturday didn't have a clue what was going on, never punched in my tracking number, etc. They just flat out lied to me when they told me it was on the truck and would be delivered. I told the customer support manager that I will never willingly use their company after being lied to twice and having to wait 5 extra days for my shipment. :mad:

I cant complain about either. Our UPS and FEDEX drivers not only come on our property with 6 dogs but they always go to our back door and leave our packages on the service porch if we arent home:D Post office is a different story,:mad:

There's definately a difference in commercial vs. residential. Where I work, UPS & FEX are literally our lifeblood. I can definately speak from experience with commercial service. We ship & receive time-critical aircraft parts 24/7. We've been around long enough that we know our regular drivers. I think another thing has to do with where you are located in relation to thier hubs and service centers. We have better service with UPS. I've been using DHL too (since they sponsor my favorite yellow Toyota!) But they don't have an 8am next day service. I primarily use overnight early AM services. If FEX or UPS can't meet my needs, we fly our stuff as next flight/same day commercial airline cargo.
Our stuff is so critical, it seems like every once in a while the "Swiss Cheese" Theory kicks in... all the holes line up at the right time and there's a service failure. It can be a multitude of things - weather here, weather at the hub, weather at the ship-from address, aircraft mechanical, air traffic flight delays, broken trucks, mis-sorted packages, hazmat delays... you name it. THOSE are the days my job isn't so fun.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back