Scelzi to step away..... (1 Viewer)

NHRA says Scelzi will finish out the rest of the 07 season, yet Sho is looking for a driver now, what if he finds one he is happy with real soon, will we we see another Bazemore/Beckman and Gary out before the end?

I really hope he comes back!!! Gary is a class act!

Now I'm wondering what kind of heat will Scelzi get during on-air interviews with Mike Dunn during the Atlanta race...heh.
Not the "R" word. I guess I should dig up that pic of Scelzi in the Nacho Libre outfit from last year's fall Vegas race I attended (the one that got Joe and I on TV) and post it. Just to remind Mr. Schumacher what he's got to replace.

"Driver wanted: Must be able to navigate a Dodge Charger funny car down a 1/4 mile drag strip. The faster the better with as few wrecks, dropped cylinders and blown superchargers as possible. Expected to work nights and weekends. Be prepared to travel extensively. Comfortable wearing costumes preferred. Ability to work well with others is vital. Must be able to name check 23 sponsors in 15 seconds or less and sound natural doing it. Cartwheeling required. Additional acrobatic stunts are a bonus. Ability to talk Ron Capps into dressing in drag. If you're a wild and crazy guy, this job is for you."

Heh.

Anyway. Should be an interesting rest of the year.

Now I'm wondering what kind of heat will Scelzi get during on-air interviews with Mike Dunn during the Atlanta race...heh.
Not the "R" word. I guess I should dig up that pic of Scelzi in the Nacho Libre outfit from last year's fall Vegas race I attended (the one that got Joe and I on TV) and post it. Just to remind Mr. Schumacher what he's got to replace.

"Driver wanted: Must be able to navigate a Dodge Charger funny car down a 1/4 mile drag strip. The faster the better with as few wrecks, dropped cylinders and blown superchargers as possible. Expected to work nights and weekends. Be prepared to travel extensively. Comfortable wearing costumes preferred. Ability to work well with others is vital. Must be able to name check 23 sponsors in 15 seconds or less and sound natural doing it. Cartwheeling required. Additional acrobatic stunts are a bonus. Ability to talk Ron Capps into dressing in drag. If you're a wild and crazy guy, this job is for you."

Heh.

Anyway. Should be an interesting rest of the year.

Now THAT is funny! :D

The Scelzi interview is on the radio right now; it's very entertaining; Gary could have a great career in radio if he wanted to.

NHRA says Scelzi will finish out the rest of the 07 season, yet Sho is looking for a driver now, what if he finds one he is happy with real soon, will we we see another Bazemore/Beckman and Gary out before the end?

I really hope he comes back!!! Gary is a class act!

Yes he is!

If Don did I think Jim Jannard would have something to say about that I doubt Don would do that to someone as popular as Gary.
It's kind of like comparing apples to oranges in this case.;)

The Scelzi interview is on the radio right now; it's very entertaining; Gary could have a great career in radio if he wanted to.

Gary is always hilarious whenever he is on Bubba's show. The story he told today about their road trip in Arizona was great.

Gary is always hilarious whenever he is on Bubba's show. The story he told today about their road trip in Arizona was great.

The first time I heard Scelzi on Bubba's show was just before the 2006 Gainesville race, Gary was pounding back the beers while he was being interviewed; none of the other guests showed up that day and we ended with almost three hours of Scelzi in "party mode"; Gary pretty much took over the show; it was three of the most entertaining hours that I have ever heard in my life! You don't have to like Bubba to enjoy his Scelzi segments.

A man who has his priorities straight!! :)

Scelzi - we'll miss you but you're moving on to bigger and better things!

Did ya ask the wife if she wants you around all the time??;) J/K

I wonder if Gary's decision was made prior to Eric Medlen's accident. Regardless, we'll miss Gary on the national circuit. Maybe he'll step into an alcohol class in division 7 races now and then.

Yes he is!

If Don did I think Jim Jannard would have something to say about that I doubt Don would do that to someone as popular as Gary.
It's kind of like comparing apples to oranges in this case.;)

Yes and No, and I stated that with the thought based around points and the Skoal Showdown and that being one of the reasons Baze and Beckman swapped mid season.

I wonder if Gary's decision was made prior to Eric Medlen's accident. Regardless, we'll miss Gary on the national circuit. Maybe he'll step into an alcohol class in division 7 races now and then.

Did you read the article?

"It's important for people to know I made this decision well before Eric Medlen's accident. This is about my desire to spend more time with my family, period. Any other speculation would only be hurtful to the Medlen family, and that would be wholly and completely unfair to them."

Gary will finish the full season. I would not have it any other way. This team is going to be competing for the Championship and will be busy thru Pomona. I will take time to consider many people that have the talent and personality to get in the Oakley/Mopar Funny Car. There is no hurry so I will take what ever time I need to find a driver and personality that can get the job done for the sponsors and the team. I am easy to reach and people can email me if they want to get in touch with me.

Part of me is bummed...but then as a parent of young kids a larger part of me is very happy for you Gary. I have really enjoyed following your career and I want to thank you for many great moments. Love the "Scelzi Sez" segment and the show won't be the same without it!
Vegas was my wife's first national event and after we met you and you signed for her, she said "that Gary Scelzi is such a sweetheart" and that was coming from a HUGE Force fan. :D
Good luck in whatever you do in the future and always know that there will ALWAYS be a place in our NHRA hearts for you Gary. :)

Dang, I knew I should've posted the transcript of the conference call that Judy Stropus e-mailed me.

It really gives a clear view into what's going on in Scelzi's head.

As for who gets the ride, well, I'm not touching that speculation-fest with a 10-foot pole. I mean, I've got two cities that I cover for my little community newspaper and each City Council has four seats up for election this year. I've got to spend my time speculating about that!

Well, if no one posts the transcript by the time I get back to the office tomorrow, I will. :)

Ah, Gary....we'll sure miss you at the races! I completely understand your decision. Especially since most of our conversations at the track involve what your kiddos are doing sports wise. And you never missed an opportunity to ask Dean about how his sports endeavors are going. I look forward to a pic in Ennis....the last one (for now) in your Oakley garb.

This is from the Baytown race. :)
Baytown2007016b.jpg

Gary will finish the full season. I would not have it any other way. This team is going to be competing for the Championship and will be busy thru Pomona. I will take time to consider many people that have the talent and personality to get in the Oakley/Mopar Funny Car. There is no hurry so I will take what ever time I need to find a driver and personality that can get the job done for the sponsors and the team. I am easy to reach and people can email me if they want to get in touch with me.

Gotta love it when the Man steps up and tells ya how it is, Thanks for setting it straight!!!! OH, BTW, any chance I can throw my hat in the ring for the drivers seat??? I'm a rookie (9.98@141), but trainable (just don't tell my wife that:D) I don't do cartwheels, but I can make some pretty funny faces! :eek:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back