Saturday Night Nitro at "The Patch" (1 Viewer)

MW

Nitro Member
Just wanted to THANK the staff at Famosa Raceway, the teams, and everyone involved for putting together a great event!!! $18.00 (with AAA discount $20 otherwise) got you in the door to see a great "throwback" Chicago style event. 13 Nostalgia Nitro Funny Cars, 4 Nostalgia Top Fuel Cars, 1 Fuel Alterd, Chuck Beal's Big Show Car, 2 Jets, along with the WCHRA door cars put on a KILLER show! James Day in the Pedaler took the win in NFC, and Brendan Murray won TF. The days of OCIR, Irwindale & Lions were brought back in the 21st. century. The crowd (don't know the total, but it looked pretty good) had a great time, and the nitro was plentiful! I believe they have one more SNN on the schedule for September 8, and I would encourage everyone to get to the "patch" (We came from L.A.) for a fun night of Nitro racing!!

This was my first time to a Saturday Night Nitro and it turned out to be a really great event. As Mark said this is a super value to see this many nitro cars, and many cars made a time trial pass that added to the number of runs and the fun. A somewhat laid-back atmosphere allowed opportunities to chat with drivers and teams between sessions. The warm evening air hung heavy with nitro during competition making it a perfect summer night. I came up from San Diego and it was well worth the drive. Hopefully the Bowsers can keep this series going - it's bound to grow into a must-see show for us left-coasters. I know I'll be back.

Last Saturday was my first time at a Night of Nostalgia event and I have to say that it's definitely a home run for the folks at Famoso. Plenty of spectators in the stands were treated to a great show on the track. Yes, I dare say shades of summertime at OCIR.

I'll be heading to Sacramento this weekend for some more nitro racing as they are having the annual Governor's Cup race.

I went to all 3 dates in 2012. Each time we took people who had never been to a drag race. They all loved it and are hooked. Just need to add a couple of AA/FA to the show!

In 2013 Auto Club Famoso Raceway will have three more Saturday Night Nitro shows, track management is waiting for the Heritage Series schedule to be released before the Saturday Night Nitro dates are finalized.

Darr,

is Dragfest ever going to happen again? I had a great time at each of those.

Paul,

Drag Fest is Randy Winkle's show and last time I spoke with him he said he wanted to do it again. But I'll believe it when I see it.

Randy is part of the group heading down to New Zealand this winter, so we'll have to see what happens when he gets back.

BTW, if you ever get a chance to see his shop and yard, he could have his own Drag Fest.

Hey Vince, why don't you build your own AA/FA and race it. :D

BTW, last Saturday I was visiting a car collector who lives in the hills of Malibu who has Nanook III completely restored in his shop. Said it was the one they used for the Super Shops promotion.

Last edited:
Geno

Hanging out in the Hills? I didn't know you had "Rock Star" status. The pre transformer cars like the Nanook are *****in. There's a great photo of Wild Willie sitting in the Wing with a Valley Head Service t-shirt......priceless.

Jeff and I have teamed up with a former AA/FA builder and owner from the SFV to build a new AA/FA. We start building the chassis later this year.

Merry Christmas to you and your Dad and the rest of your family.

Vince,

In certain circles I am the rock star. ;)

So the rumors I'm hearing are true about your project about the AA/FA. The new Mike Sullivan Fiat bodied AA/FA driven by son Jeremy (I think that's his name) was at the last Nitro Night so he could get his license.

Mouse was here a couple of weeks ago dropping off a block, heads, and a crank for some machine work in exchange for putting the original VHS sticker on the car. The same sticker that was on the car when Willie was driving.

Here's hoping you and the family have a very Merry Christmas. Drop by next time you have a chance.

Vince,

In certain circles I am the rock star. ;)

So the rumors I'm hearing are true about your project about the AA/FA. The new Mike Sullivan Fiat bodied AA/FA driven by son Jeremy (I think that's his name) was at the last Nitro Night so he could get his license.

Mouse was here a couple of weeks ago dropping off a block, heads, and a crank for some machine work in exchange for putting the original VHS sticker on the car. The same sticker that was on the car when Willie was driving.

Here's hoping you and the family have a very Merry Christmas. Drop by next time you have a chance.

As our people say " I was made an offer I couldn't refuse."
The Nitro Night type events are what we're going to focus on. Our new racing partner has a lot of fuel racing experience and is really looking forward to racing again. The car is going to be very different from the body to engine combo.

Every single person I took with me to the Nitro Nights has asked me about next year. None of them are car guys but they are all hooked. We'll double the people going next summer.

Vince

Hey Vince, the God Father has a special favor to ask of you, can you call him. Don't worry it's not like the last time when you took care of that guy for us. ;)

BTW, found this video of Eagle Field and one of your passes about 1/2 way through; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3YyuXFaJKo

The God Father will be proud of you.

Gino

I enjoy the layed back atitude of the deal. No big drama, just people racing, Would be cool to see a AA/FD show along with the AA/FC's .

Hope we get more .

I enjoy the layed back atitude of the deal. No big drama, just people racing, Would be cool to see a AA/FD show along with the AA/FC's .

Hope we get more .

There are a couple of AA/FD teams who will only race at the March Meet, three Saturday Night Nitro events and the Reunion, staying local and off the road in 2013.

308198_10151159101633350_24765418_n.jpg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back