Saturday NIGHT Qualifying at the Mile High's (1 Viewer)

It will be REALLY exciting if Danny Gruninger is part of that 16 car field! Are you guys going to race Pro Stock this year?

Yea, we have built a dodge. Should be out testing in the next couple weeks, so hopefully we can surprise a few people, lol. We would really like to make a field by the end of the year.

That will be great to see on TV too... they don't really cover friday night on TV, just the Sat coverage. What a great show the NHRA is at night - unfortunate they don't run at night at all in Brainerd. Last night run I saw was Columbus several years ago.. it got so cold only 2 cars made it to half track, the rest pulled out or went up in smoke immediately. Every night race was memorable though.

Joe, FYI they pushed the start of eliminations back to a noon start time a couple of years back, so that should give the crews an extra hour.

I don't think it's going to be too big of an adjustment for the teams. Rain is always a possibility but if the weather cooperates they should be done by 10pm on both Friday and Saturday. If the final runs are made by 10pm most crews will be able to be in bed by midnight or 1. Getting 8 hours of sleep they could be up by 8 or 9am and be at the track with plenty of time before the first pair goes off at noon.

I think the teams have good data from last year during the heat of the day. Plus, since Bandimere installed the cooling devices under the starting line before last year's race, Bob Frey kept mentioning during the weekend last year how much the crew chiefs liked the fact that the track temp stayed pretty constant throughout the weekend. It was reported that the track was 20 to 30 degrees cooler during the hottest time of the day than in previous years.

I personally think the crew chiefs and crews will be just fine.

Frank, I have to differ with you for the following reasons:

1) The sessions rarely start on time
2) The sessions rarely are completed without issues.
3) Being the last chance qualifying session increases the chances of something not good happening……….
4) Even if the last runs were in the 10 pm area, add 1 hour (at least) to service the cars. 1 hour (at least) to load up for the night. 1 hour to get to the room (unless a meal is required). 1 hour to get to sleep.
5) Even if they back eliminations up to noon, the crews will not come to the track any later than 8. To be at the track at 8 means getting up at 6………

Obviously, some of the teams will get done earlier but what about problems in the last ditch qualifying session? The hours the crew chiefs and crew guys put in are more than most people realize. Saturday night qualifying will make for a short night and long day.
This is not my opinion of why this will be hard on the guys, but rather a response to my thought that Saturday night qualifying would be a great idea……………….:)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back