Sandia Tramway Pics (1 Viewer)

I can't even look at 'em. I've driving to Colorado next week for a quick fishing trip and I'm afraid if I go and look at these pics I'll have to quit my job and leave today.

Who me hijack a thread! I resemble that remark.
Being an extremely poor shot is why I don't hunt anymore.
The Dr says my eyesight is getting better every year for some reason.
Eye hand co ordination not too good as I can't cut a light with a knife.
Love working on them cars though.
Jenn do they sell life insurance policy's at the tram.
Or better yet has it ever fell?
String and duct tape huh!

Who me hijack a thread! I resemble that remark.
Being an extremely poor shot is why I don't hunt anymore.
The Dr says my eyesight is getting better every year for some reason.
Eye hand co ordination not too good as I can't cut a light with a knife.
Love working on them cars though.
Jenn do they sell life insurance policy's at the tram.
Or better yet has it ever fell?
String and duct tape huh!

The Tram has never had a failure and the operator (if I remember correctly, I was a little distracted by the lady in the back) told us that there are two cables that would have to fail and fail simultaniously for it to fall. The cables are probably as thick as my wrists and they've have a lifespan of 40 years but they got replaced after 30. The car itself was replaced in 1997 and can withstand gusts upto 65 mph. We had 25 mph gusts and it was a little scary.

The rollers have to be replaced every couple weeks and had to be replaced more often but they slowed the tram down to 12 mph as opposed to 15 mph to save the wear and tear. Every cable gets inspected daily and it's inspected by somebody riding on the top of the tram. It's the longest continuous tram in the would, there is a tram that is longer but you have to stop in the middle.

The operator was a really neat guy. When somebody asked what would happen in the event of a failure he said "We have a basket of tube socks in the maintanence bit, and we get some carabeeners and zip down!"

The operator was a really neat guy. When somebody asked what would happen in the event of a failure he said "We have a basket of tube socks in the maintanence bit, and we get some carabeeners and zip down!"

What?!? they got rid of the bungee cords? They do stop the tram when the weather gets too bad. I remember having to wait out a severe thunderstorm one time... during a field trip with the ecology class... that was when... oh wait, another story... maybe later.

Jenn, next time I get to go grouse hunting you will be invited to my camp. I make a mean roast grouse with wild chantarelles. Thank you for your graciousness.

Also, I am sure you will love the morning ride and if you take a snack and water (in case you decide to walk further) you might enjoy a very short walk across the top to where the hang gliders jump.

What?!? they got rid of the bungee cords? They do stop the tram when the weather gets too bad. I remember having to wait out a severe thunderstorm one time... during a field trip with the ecology class... that was when... oh wait, another story... maybe later.

Jenn, next time I get to go grouse hunting you will be invited to my camp. I make a mean roast grouse with wild chantarelles. Thank you for your graciousness.

Also, I am sure you will love the morning ride and if you take a snack and water (in case you decide to walk further) you might enjoy a very short walk across the top to where the hang gliders jump.[/FONT]

Wait! Tell me! Tell me, don't leave me hanging like that! That's just not nice! :eek::D

Just name the time, place, and is it Bring your own beer?

I wish we would've walked further but good golly it was COLD!!! I'm a cold blooded individual and I don't handle cold very well. I didn't even think about taking a sweater. Tom was in a sleeveless shirt, I in a teeshirt (Big Daddy Don Garlits museum), but fortuanately High Finance did sell sweatshirts and I gladly paid!

Jenn they did have a Failure years ago, In 1972-73 winds over 90 MPH caused one of the Cars to jump the Take-up Cable, which basically made the car a sitting duck! The Take-up Cable only controls the Movement of the Tram cars, The Suspension Cables which support the Weight are directly attached to the Cars themselves thus the Car could only fall if the 100 Ton Cables snapped. That car was between Tower 2 and the Top which is 1-1/2 miles of Suspended cable. Those people were completely helpless for almost 12 hrs. in Sub Freezing Temps around 800 ft. above the Ground. They were air-lifted out of the car one by one by Helicopter rescue. One of the Major Networks made a TV movie based on that event.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Joe [ The Spoiler! ] [ Truthsayer?]. Are the tube socks to be used in the manor I envision?
I have plenty of mountain & cave climbing experience using various gear but at my present weight they might need a chinook heavy lift copter.
Thats good though as I'm sure other than the smell everything came out alright.
I had a discussion last night with my buddy in Carlsbad about jeeps and the tram and he too has never rode it so we put it on our list of things to do before rocking chair time sets in.
Jenn or Joe when is the big balloon get together?
I would like to wrangle a ride cause I hear it's the closest thing to flying , because of the silence.
Where's that list again.

Larry the Balloon Fiesta is in Early October every year. Getting a ride usually isn't a problem especially if you volunteer to chasecrew. You can pay for a flight but I think they want around $150, not sure it's been years since I followed Balooning.

Wait! Tell me! Tell me, don't leave me hanging like that! That's just not nice! :eek::D

Just name the time, place, and is it Bring your own beer?

I wish we would've walked further but good golly it was COLD!!! I'm a cold blooded individual and I don't handle cold very well. I didn't even think about taking a sweater. Tom was in a sleeveless shirt, I in a teeshirt (Big Daddy Don Garlits museum), but fortuanately High Finance did sell sweatshirts and I gladly paid!

Well, it's like this... it was my freshman year, and the class was mostly seniors. As got partially across the top a storm started brewing up (hair standing up from electricity and all that.) It started to rain as we got to the stone house and one of the seniors - that I had a major crush on (okay at 14-15 I probably had a crush for most cute guys) - shared his rain poncho with me.

It just sounds better letting it hang. :)

Next time I get to NM for fall hunting, so it may be a year or two. And you only bring your own beer if you drink the cheap stuff. Otherwise, we drink what is left over from cooking the grouse... usually about 5 & 1/2 bottles.

While I tend to like cooler weather, I even take a light jacket up there because the weather will change and rapidly so I can imagine that you were about like an icicle.

Larry, in addition to the Albuquerque Balloon fiesta, which is a must see, the following weekend used to see a smaller invitational balloon rally in Taos. (I always enjoyed because I could get more rides.) You might call the Taos chamber and check to see if it is still on since I haven't lived there in about 10 years. -sorry about butting in, I know you didn't ask me...

Jenn they did have a Failure years ago, In 1972-73 winds over 90 MPH caused one of the Cars to jump the Take-up Cable, which basically made the car a sitting duck! The Take-up Cable only controls the Movement of the Tram cars, The Suspension Cables which support the Weight are directly attached to the Cars themselves thus the Car could only fall if the 100 Ton Cables snapped. That car was between Tower 2 and the Top which is 1-1/2 miles of Suspended cable. Those people were completely helpless for almost 12 hrs. in Sub Freezing Temps around 800 ft. above the Ground. They were air-lifted out of the car one by one by Helicopter rescue. One of the Major Networks made a TV movie based on that event.

Hmm, okay, sorry about that, I could have sworn the operator said there had never been a failure but thinking back on it, he either didn't know (he was very young), or he used his powers of discretion and decided not to mention it to avoid the woman in the back really flipping out.

I'm sure most of those Tram employees weren't even born then and are Told NOT to bring it up for obvious reasons. But since then they halt the Operations of the Tram if winds get over 50 MPH(?)

Larry, in addition to the Albuquerque Balloon fiesta, which is a must see, the following weekend used to see a smaller invitational balloon rally in Taos. (I always enjoyed because I could get more rides.) You might call the Taos chamber and check to see if it is still on since I haven't lived there in about 10 years. -sorry about butting in, I know you didn't ask me...

I've never been to the Balloon fiesta although my sister-in-law crews for two ballons that look like boobs.

One of these days I'll go but since all the major activities take place in the morning and I'm not a morning person.

I'm sure most of those Tram employees weren't even born then and are Told NOT to bring it up for obvious reasons. But since then they halt the Operations of the Tram if winds get over 50 MPH(?)

That's about what they said. I know there was some mention of 65 but he mentioned that they try to operate at a certain threshold of safety, like replacing everything before even the manufacturers specifications.

One of these days I'll go but since all the major activities take place in the morning and I'm not a morning person.

Believe me, if there isn't a really good reason for getting up early I don't. I much prefer working the late shift. Working in my studio until 2 or 3 or 4 or whenever I run out of steam is much preferable to getting up early. I have even developed a technique for feeding my horses sometime between 6:30-7:00 am and not waking up completely (I can walk out there with my eyes closed,) then go back to bed for another 1-2 hours snooze.

It sounds like the height of lazy, but really, when I am awake, I am usually doing something. hmmm, not sure if that sounded right... lol

Balloons are definitely worth getting up early for, and to get good pictures at sunrise is awesome. Better yet, lifting off when the rest of the world is just thinking about waking up... a definite gas.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back