Sandia Tramway Pics (1 Viewer)

Jenn, Is High Finance still up there? We thought it had good food.

It's still up there! I bought a sweatshirt up there because I wasn't prepared for the cold. We went in and had hot cocoa (in July!) and nachos but the prices explain the name.

Nice pics, Ninji!!! I saw the signs for it on our ride down- would have been nice to have some time to go take the ride up and down...Beautiful sky shots too- you guys get some nice sunsets there..

My brother was a Waiter at the High-Finance for about 2 months. He made about $700 a week just in tips. But riding that Tram up and down every day took it's toll, he quit!

My brother was a Waiter at the High-Finance for about 2 months. He made about $700 a week just in tips. But riding that Tram up and down every day took it's toll, he quit!

There was a lady that was flipping out on the ride up. She was a black woman when she started but by the time we got up there, she was grey. Her family had to surround her and pray with her. They were praying loud too and the cable car operator said in a loud voice "We are going to slow down now" and lowered his voice and said "So we can get through the part of the cable patched through with string and duct tape". We were standing right next to the doors and the operator and I barely heard him but that woman sure heard him!!!

Then I said to Tom "Check it out, you can see through the crack in the door threshold too bad I can't take a picture through there" and the woman said "Get away from that door child!!"

There was a lady that was flipping out on the ride up. She was a black woman when she started but by the time we got up there, she was grey. Her family had to surround her and pray with her. They were praying loud too and the cable car operator said in a loud voice "We are going to slow down now" and lowered his voice and said "So we can get through the part of the cable patched through with string and duct tape". We were standing right next to the doors and the operator and I barely heard him but that woman sure heard him!!!

Then I said to Tom "Check it out, you can see through the crack in the door threshold too bad I can't take a picture through there" and the woman said "Get away from that door child!!"

Okay, I have been lurking for awhile now, and finally scraped together my fundage(j/k) but this was too good to resist...

My Gawd, HOW funny is that! I have been up & down that tram several times and love it, but I have no problem with heights... :p:D

teeny tiny little bitty spaces are another thing...:eek: :eek:

Thank you both!
Its good to feel welcomed. :)

I have been looking at the pictures and getting horridly homesick again... lol

Welcome Georginna: We seem to not have the fair sex represented in numbers these days. Those we do have are quality though.
I have wanted to ride that tram since I was in high school and now Jenn has gone and planted a seed of [ will the string hold one more time] in my head.
Thanks alot Jenn !
A few days ago I was standing on a 1500 ft. cliff and man I said how the Hell's did I climb mountains and explore caves when I was young , so those kinds of rides are not for the faint of heart. LOL
I will ride that tram because it's there to be rode and I know the view [ don't look down] is spectacular .
I just got to figure out how to look cool carrying enough gear in a vette to camp and fish on the San Juan River below Navajo Dam.
Now where's that LL Bean catalog.

Thank you :)

Okay, last one then I have to get to real work...

The tram is a blast, I used to enjoy the morning rides because there would be fewer people and then I could hike north across the top to the stone house. Not sure if the stone house is still there. There is a trail going up called "la luz" that makes a good day hike as well & can ride the tram down. If you do it, take water and a light jacket. I think it is pretty close to monsoon season if it is not already there and getting soaked up there is not always fun.

You are right, the views are awesome, and I do look down as well as out. As I said, I have no problem with heights, but pin me into a cramped elevator with 10 other people and I start to get a bit nervious.

Um, San Juan. (I mostly fished north central NM southern Co. and a few points south like Carlsbad.) That is one place I haven't fished but would most likely be trout fishing and catfish. Trout in northern NM are easy to catch with a good fly and sometimes a light spinner. Be careful though, below the dams you sometimes have what I call "pig trout" about 20 inches long and fat things that will roll the fly sometimes without taking it. You have to have a good touch and be quick. This time of year camping should be light equipment. Catfish in NM are usually stink bait, as in most places.

Yep thats right. San Juan and Navajo lake remain more or less unimproved the way I like it.
Used to fish Boiling Springs on the Pecos in Carlsbad and also hunted dove there.
A shooting gallery comes to mind.
Just watch out for rattlers they like the shade below a tree just like people.
I remember waking up to frost in July up around 10,000 ft. on the head waters of the Pecos east of Santa Fe.

One thing I have never figured out is why people travel to foreign places when In my life time I can never enjoy more than a smiggin of the sights this country has to offer.

America the Beautiful says it all.
My job is traveling and I often wonder what the Hell's I'm doing running around all over the place when I have a chance to just go home. LOL
Oh I know, all the racing has been wiped out by rain for months so hey. Go to the high desert. Sans monsoon season of course.
Good racing tonight but again rained out. Bummer!

Shooting gallery in Carlsbad area? You wouldn't be talking about shooting gar would you? I had a friend introduce me to catch & shoot fishing. It was an interesting way to combine sports. :)

My ex quit taking me dove hunting after our first trip... it seems that he had an issue with me getting my limit with the same number of shells used. I just didn't understand the pride thing, go figure. ;) I learned to let him get his limit (grouse, quail, ducks, etc.) before I started shooting. Unless I was hungry or really mad at him.

I have been lucky about snakes so far in this lifetime, but caution is always a good thing in that department. When I am out there it is often miles of hiking to a real road. Okay, make that a dirt track. I would caution you about looking around before you take a leak, my ex brother-in-law didn't see a hive of mountain bees one time. It was a bad drive home for his wife.

True the frost can happen and you can find snowbanks in the shade in July but it all warms up pretty quick and a good sleeping bag will take care of you.

There is still so much more to see, but I can see travelling the world as well... there are alot of beautiful places on earth. I am lucky that I have gotten to travel most of the western part of the country and BC since little. I don't plan on stopping until I don't wake up in the morning.

Well the shooting gallery comparison was based on sitting there while the doves come careening down the river bed.
I'm a really poor shot on my best day and can no longer carry enough shell's to kill two birds without a wheelbarrow.
I can't figure out how to lead something that flies so erratically that you would think it's arse was on fire.
I know more power and more spread.
Do they make a 1100 grain shotgun shell with 500 pellets?
Would I still have a shoulder after picking myself up off the ground after shooting.
Would there be anything left to eat if I hit the bird?

I won't hold it against you if you don't mind that I won't eat your birds. :)

I still remember hearing "shoot it, shoot it, SHOOT IT!" off my right side when I think about hunting. Patience is a big part of it but I can't describe how to lead well, it's just something I do. Lol @ burning booty.

The largest shotgun I ever used was a 10 ga. and believe me that will never be repeated. The bruise didn't go away for a week. I can find no earthly reason to hunt sandhill crane again, tough stringy things.

Somehow I just don't think there would be anything but a feather or two floating back to earth... kind of like the dust plumes after coyote hit the bottom of the canyon after running past roadrunner...:eek:

Jenn, knowing you, I'm thinking it wasn't your intention in posting these beautiful pictures, to have the thread turn into one about hunting, but thanks again for sharing your view of the world from the tram, with those of us who appreciate the beauty of the world. You're the best kiddo!

It's okay, Jackee, if the thread got sidetracked. Thanks for trying to right it up but it's fine, one thing I've noticed with my photographs is that they can start lots of memories like the ones going now. Keep 'em up Larry and Georgina!! I love hearing those sort of stories.

New Mexico has great hunting and finish sites, I'm told, although I'm not really into it. It requires patience and that's something that I'm usually short on. I have no problem eating the work of those who have patience!

That was the first time I rode the tram, and I'd like to go back since we did come back when it was dark and I think the morning will be better for 'cooler shots''.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back