Ron Capps (1 Viewer)

Personally he should have let the damn thing go into the sand traps. But that's just me....

Here's where all the keyboard crewchiefs and Gameboy race car drivers get in trouble.

Here are some facts to chew on.

Ron's chute didn't properly deploy.

Ron got after the brakes pretty hard to get it stopped. Seattle is one of the longer tracks, but he still heated the brakes up.

As he made the turn he still had brakes. But as the car slowed to a stop the fluid finally boiled. When it did, he had no brakes. There is no way to predict when or even if that's going to happen.

He was not out of control when he made the turn so why would he "let the damn thing go into the sand traps." Imagine telling Don Schumacher and Ed McCullough "I thought the brakes were going to go out, but they were fine, so I went in to the sand." Duh.

He simply lost his brakes at the last possible moment. If you want to get upset about something go turn on the news.

Back to work.

RG

Here's where all the keyboard crewchiefs and Gameboy race car drivers get in trouble.

Since I don't think I even qualify for either keyboard crew chief or gameboy racer, would you experienced racers tell me when is it a good idea to jump out of a moving vehicle? (One that isn't on fire or headed off a cliff of course.)

As far as fining Ron, is there a rule about remaining in the car until stopped? I remember a thread a year or 2 ago discussing this, TF drivers standing up while moving, PS drivers removing their helmets and gloves, etc. Either it is a rule or it isn't, and if it is you apply it to everyone or no one. So what do the rules say?

Poor ol' Cappsie. He can't win for losing. Not only is he catching it for trying to stop his car from hurting someone.....but his boxing skills have been up for public ridicule!

At least his driving abilities are OK with everyone. You can't attack that with 5 wins this season (which ties a season best). Oh, wait. I forgot.....wins are all due to the Crew Chief!

;)

Poor ol' Cappsie. He can't win for losing. Not only is he catching it for trying to stop his car from hurting someone.....but his boxing skills have been up for public ridicule!

At least his driving abilities are OK with everyone. You can't attack that with 5 wins this season (which ties a season best). Oh, wait. I forgot.....wins are all due to the Crew Chief!

;)

the negative comments on this thread must be from people who have NEVER spent time with capps.
i was with him often for three years. the most stand up guy i have ever met in racing.
the one negative involving another driver, caused him bad press but he did not hide from it.
with racing circling the bowl, lets concentrate on positives.
get a life
did i mention i miss drag racing

This board should be called the MICRO MATER because some people micro-analyze EVERYTHING to death that happens in the NHRA, then give their "expert" opinions about what should have happened. Give RC a break, he had maybe 2 seconds to make a critical decision.

This board should be called the MICRO MATER because some people micro-analyze EVERYTHING to death that happens in the NHRA, then give their "expert" opinions about what should have happened. Give RC a break, he had maybe 2 seconds to make a critical decision.

Exactly, and he didn't hurt anyone. All of this what if talk is worthless because nothing did happen.

Randy, here's where all driver/crew types get in trouble.

You assume that some posters actually listened to Ron explain what happened instead of just reading a post about it and then putting in their $0.02.

I guess its one of those situations where its all good cuz it worked out alright. If he hadn't stopped it then people would be all over him. Was it right or not who knows. I'm pretty sure I would have made the same move as he did though.

What I really want to know is when did everyone get so damn sensitive about everything. Nobody can discuss or question anything anymore without others thinking its a bashfest. Its fair to ask if it was right or not. Other drivers have been reprimanded about their speed through there, standing up in the cockpit and such. Seems reasonable to ask the question without people thinking that their guy is getting bashed.:rolleyes:

In this particular case, PJ.....I'm just having a little fun with it. I don't feel so serious today and in no way is it my job or even my right to defend anyone's actions. :)

God, someone gets it.................:eek::D

"As the Nitromater Turns.."

He gave his explanation..seems prudent to me.

If he knew he didn't have brakes..probably wouldn't have turned in right? Could have just rolled out. Yea but hey! There's no cameras there!!!! hehe

I didn't see a problem at all..going 6mph..no brakes..bailed out and stopped it..in front of the cameras..hehe x 2.

Force couldn't have done that.

I would have done the same thing.
He saved the equipment and maybe someone from getting hurt.
That's a good driver right there.

Here are some facts to chew on.

Ron's chute didn't properly deploy.

Ron got after the brakes pretty hard to get it stopped. Seattle is one of the longer tracks, but he still heated the brakes up.

As he made the turn he still had brakes. But as the car slowed to a stop the fluid finally boiled. When it did, he had no brakes. There is no way to predict when or even if that's going to happen.

He was not out of control when he made the turn so why would he "let the damn thing go into the sand traps." Imagine telling Don Schumacher and Ed McCullough "I thought the brakes were going to go out, but they were fine, so I went in to the sand." Duh.

He simply lost his brakes at the last possible moment. If you want to get upset about something go turn on the news.

Back to work.

RG

So that's the story. Sorry I made that comment earlier. :eek:

As far as fining Ron, is there a rule about remaining in the car until stopped? I remember a thread a year or 2 ago discussing this, TF drivers standing up while moving, PS drivers removing their helmets and gloves, etc. Either it is a rule or it isn't, and if it is you apply it to everyone or no one. So what do the rules say?

I dunno...maybe he shoulda reached in the glove box and grabbed the NHRA rule book to see what it says. I'm sure it doesn't say "Head for the Matco Tools Dragster parked in the way" when you boil the brake fluid.

I dunno...maybe he shoulda reached in the glove box and grabbed the NHRA rule book to see what it says. I'm sure it doesn't say "Head for the Matco Tools Dragster parked in the way" when you boil the brake fluid.

Perhaps it say "Stay at the wheel to steer clear of the Matco Tools Dragster" :rolleyes:

My question remains, is it or is it not a rule?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back