Ron Capps (1 Viewer)

Wow, after reading all the things he did wrong I am surprised Ace will let him back in the car ever again. :p

Kelly, will you email Ron and ask him "Just why did he have to jump out on the left side with the camera was showing him trying to stop the car?"

Just think how long this thread could be if he slid down the Rt Qt instead and everyone could think he just bailed out and ran from the car!!! ;) :D

Ron nice going on your racing season, and for using good judgement on keeping the hot rod in one piece. :cool:

Rapid {Hasn't tried jumping out of a moving car yet, but would if I thought it was the right thing to do at the time}

Heheh....nice one Randy!

I, myself was having flashbacks of Risky Business! I told Justin, Paul R. and Mark this afternoon I was half expecting Ron to jump on the hood. Wouldn't THAT have been quite a controversy? LOL

As far as fining Ron, is there a rule about remaining in the car until stopped? I remember a thread a year or 2 ago discussing this, TF drivers standing up while moving, PS drivers removing their helmets and gloves, etc. Either it is a rule or it isn't, and if it is you apply it to everyone or no one. So what do the rules say?

I can't find anything in the rulebook that says anything about safety gear remaining in place, except in the section about head and neck restraints.

But I do know they're anal about it. My daughter and our friend were both chewed out for raising their visors just a crack to breathe at the end of the track in Seattle last Friday (when it was 90+ degrees).

And was you in the car with him and know exactly what happened? That's what wrong with some people on here, they don't think before engaging fingers on keyboard!!!!!!!:D:rolleyes:
We have a winner!!!! Ron knew what he was doing trust me. It wasnt as bad as all these "Pros" here make it out to be.

Poor ol' Cappsie. He can't win for losing. Not only is he catching it for trying to stop his car from hurting someone.....but his boxing skills have been up for public ridicule!

At least his driving abilities are OK with everyone. You can't attack that with 5 wins this season (which ties a season best). Oh, wait. I forgot.....wins are all due to the Crew Chief!

;)
LOL.......Ron should wrestle and let Ash pin him. Oh wait danny and Shelley may not like that thought lol.

We have a winner!!!! It wasnt as bad as all these "Pros" here make it out to be.

No one is making it out to be anything but what it was. He abandoned ship, the vid shows that. Some of us here just think it would have been safer to not give up steering also, on a car you can't stop. By bailing we feel he doubled the problems, thats all.

Capps did the right thing.

Car was going maybe 4 mph when he jumped out and he never took his hands off the car. Did a great job of stopping it and the safety guys were on their toes and reacted properly.

And steering them at that slow speed is damn near impossible anyway. It was pointed straight and it continued straight.

If he had been able to make the right turn back towards the starting line onto the return road I think he would actually have picked up a little speed because it runs down hill slightly. But I think someone was parked there blocking that option.

I was lucky enough to work with Ron a little when he was driving a nostalgia funny and he is IMO one of the best out there.

Last edited:
No one is making it out to be anything but what it was. He abandoned ship, the vid shows that. Some of us here just think it would have been safer to not give up steering also, on a car you can't stop. By bailing we feel he doubled the problems, thats all.
You are wrong. And he had track workers to help stop the car. The End.

Capps did the right thing.

Car was going maybe 4 mph when jumped out and he never took his hands off the car. Did a great job of stopping it and the safety guys were on their toes and reacted properly.

And steering them at that slow speed is damn near impossible anyway. It was pointed straight and it continued straight.

If he had been able to make the right turn back towards the starting line onto the return road I think he would actually have picked up a little speed because it runs down hill slightly. But I think someone was parked there blocking that option.

I was lucky enough to work with Ron a little when he was driving a nostalgia funny and he is IMO one of the best out there.
I agree completely,hell if it was Sonoma he would and could have just rolled it back to the pits as its downhill there...LOL (joking)

I agree completely,hell if it was Sonoma he would and could have just rolled it back to the pits as its downhill there...LOL (joking)

Jerry,

Do you remember at the Winters one year when Capps' crew chief was driving the gold Miller car and smoked the tires losing the round, made the first gate, and DROVE it back up the return road all the way to his pit spot?!!

The place went balistic, but unfortunately for Ace, so did the Hook!

From Capp's blog Kelly posted:

Just FYI

Since we brought our new car out in Norwalk, it’s had the best brakes I have ever had. Very responsive. In fact, I barely have to pull the handle to feel brake pressure, and the NAPA crew thought I had just pulled them too hard in Denver after the final and with all new pads and rotors I got the fluid so hot that it basically boiled the fluid. And as good as they are to the touch, it made sense. They were great all weekend in Seattle, and ironically in the first round I come to find out that my parachute did deploy. It was kinda flapping around behind me and never really deployed and with all the adrenaline from seeing my win light on I was on the brakes pretty hard to make the turn and did the same thing. Anyway, I was only rolling about 20 miles per hour, but when I felt that there was no brakes, I pointed the car so no one was in front of me, but in Seattle in the shutdown area it connects with part of the road course and there is a nasty transition and I was afraid that it would rip the nose off our NAPA body if it hit it straight on. So, that is why you may have seen me jump out like an Olympic gymnast and do my best Fred Flintstone impression to keep the car from any front-end damage.

After reading the facts from Capps himself I personally I don't see the problem the situation.

Last edited:
For some reason, I find this quote very appropriate for this thread.....

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Heheh!

I just don't understand why he didn't just honk his horn to let everyone know there was trouble..............;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back