RIP Shirl Greer (1 Viewer)

That guy just LOVED to race......period!! And he could thrash with the best of 'em. GodSpeed, Shirl.

Late.......Mitch

Sad--my condolences to his wife and sons. His performance when he won the title had to be one of the most courageous ever. RIP.

First funny car pass I ever saw......................Shirl Greer's "Tension" vs. the "Super Duster".
southland3.jpg

" Chained Lightning "

Saw Shirl many times at Thunder Valley USA ..As has been previously posted , he did love to race and would take time to talk to you about it ..
We have lost yet another Pioneer of our sport ....

RIP Shirl

First NHRA Funny Car champ under a points system. He earned it, too. RIP!

Wasn't that the season that he literally burnt the car to the ground at the last race of the year, rebuilt it, climbed in with hand burns and won the Championship? One racin' S.O.B.......:cool:

We lost a great one, folks... Rest in Peace, sir.

Wilmer Shirl Greer, Kingsport
Wilmer Shirl Greer, 75, of Kingsport, died on Friday at James H. Quillen DVAMC in Mountain Home, Tenn. The family will receive friends from 5 to 7 p.m. on Tuesday at Carter Trent Funeral Home, Kingsport. A eulogy will be given at 7 p.m. in the funeral home chapel. Military graveside services will be held at 11 a.m. on Wednesday at Mountain Home National Cemetery, Mountain Home, Tenn.

May God rest his soul.

Wasn't that the season that he literally burnt the car to the ground at the last race of the year, rebuilt it, climbed in with hand burns and won the Championship? One racin' S.O.B.......:cool:

We lost a great one, folks... Rest in Peace, sir.

I was reading the article in a newspaper on the wall of their transporter at Hot Rod Reunion a couple or so years ago. The photo showed him grimacing in pain after being helped into the car.

Condolences to the family. Was just getting to know Shirl when I could. My experiences racing with Van were never anything less than the best.

Cut my teeth at Rockingham in the early seventies. Shirl and Pat Foster always had the to baddest hot rods there. God's speed to both.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back