RIP Dick LaHaie (1 Viewer)

hard to believe it's been 15 years since he retired from the sport. will always remember 'the dick and joe show'.....and dick's hair was always perfect......rip dick.

I'm very saddened by this news. Dick will go down in history as one of the legends of the sport. He was one of the few tuners to win championships with multiple teams, his own, Kalitta and Snake. His legacy will never be forgotten. I'll never forget his motto: "low ET doesn't win races, consistency does." Dicko, you will be missed!!!

Myself also a (former) Michigander, I have so many memories of Dick LaHaie. Saw him many times running at Motor City Dragway. Then of course he became one of the most feared crew chiefs out there when he was tuning the American International Airways Top Fueler for Scott Kalitta. He used to sell used race car parts to Wayne Bailey too. I remember Wayne would proudly give you a walk-around tour of his car and he would name where he got every part from, when he got it, how many runs it has on it and how much he paid for each individual piece. LOL Dicko and Kalitta were his top "suppliers" hahahaha

I have a memory of Dick at the AHRA Winternats, at the old Tucson Dragway, in the early 1980's. He could run as quick as anyone, just him & Kim and I think his son as well.

Over the years I the great pleasure of watching him race, chatting at the ropes and shaking his hand. RIP sir your legend in the sport will live on.

Sad news indeed... Whether he was driving or tuning, I always made it to his pit Sundays, 9:30am in Pomona for warmups.

One of the "ELITE" fuel tuners in the business, Rest In Peace Mr. LaHaie! Thoughts and Prayers go out to his family!
In Epping 1994, at a match race, Chuck Etchells v. Tom Hoover. Etchells just blew the tires off during a test run the day before the event. Tim Richards was having issues with the car for a few weeks. I was talking to him about it when someone came up and said he had a call. He excused himself, hopped on the golf cart and left. About 20 minutes later he came back shaking his head, pulled the crew in the hauler and when they came out the clutch can was taken out and brought inside. Half hour later out comes the can and back on the car. They towed up and blistered a 5.3 something at a high 280. Now I’m curious what the heck he found...I caught him after they were done and he said, “Old Dicko got me straightened out”. The call was from LaHaie and he told him what should be changed...a couple weeks later they ran the first 4.
Rest In Peace Dick!

Said it the way it was! Tuned the car by how flat the rod bearings were.What impressed me was he visibly cared for the driver, once stating "We play with peoples lives here!"True Hero!

:( He was, is, and always will be, my favorite drag racer of all time. The way he conducted himself, his work ethic, how he raced, I respect him so much.
This was a tough one. :(

a great racer. a true giant of our sport. i loved standing at his pit area and watching his hard work and the measured cool thought process. Wasnt a loud mouth ---- he spoke with results

Always a class-act and one heck of a tuner and driver. RIP, Mr. LaHaie.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back