Resurrect OCIR and put it at the El Toro Air Base (1 Viewer)

Good read....but there is no way this would happen. MCAS El Toro was the last & final "noisy" resident there.

R.I.P. MCAS El Toro & Orange County International Raceway.

"Orange County International Raceway was the center of drag racing until the track was closed by its landlord, the Irvine Company in 2003."

;) I think you got the 3 right.

in terms of the impact it had on the sport I think it was. Who knows if John Force would have had a racing career if OCIR hadn't existed.

Last edited:
With the current Political attitude in California right now, I doubt ANY businessman would dare tackle this!

Good read....but there is no way this would happen. MCAS El Toro was the last & final "noisy" resident there.

R.I.P. MCAS El Toro & Orange County International Raceway.

I grew up in Orange County, and attended most Pro events there since the 1970 Manufacturers Funny Car Championships to it's closing. I remember starting in the late 70's, OCIR having noise issues with nearby Lake Forest and El Toro. Since the closing, housing has been built even closer, so unfortunately I know there is now way this would happen.

Well I think it should be revisited. Counties are looking for more revenue these days and there are better technologies to control sound. As for why it closed, it was because they lost their lease. As for Irwindale that track closed in 76 or 77 just when Force was getting started.

OCIR closed because of high property tax's and Irvine Company got tired of being sued by every lawyer in the country that knew someone who cut their finger there. Irvine Company closed Saddleback Park, motocross track, the next day. Yes, noise was also a huge reason.

Is anyone really suprised Drag racing's days in California are numbered? When a state that elects these Environmentalists wacko's time and time again, it's a wonder how Pomona and Sonoma keep their Doors open! Higher taxes and Stupid OSHA laws are forcing Businesses out of that state by the truckload! My brother lived in Santa Clarita for 33 years, he is planning a move to Reno in June! The Tax laws are killing his business! I'm suprised he waited so long...:rolleyes:

Mike, the Irvine Company planned on using that land for other purposes and even extended OCIR's lease one extra year when they were laying pipe on the property. I don't believe it was closed because of a finger cut or a law suit. In fact, a spectator was killed out there a few years prior in a riot and the gates were not closed then. In fact the facilities image improved shortly before it was closed. And yes I agree that radical environmentalism has destroyed California. It's not terrorism I fear it's the Federal Government.

Rich, what I said was a major reason along with the motocross track closing the next day. You have no idea how many lawsuits were filed against the track and Irvine company. Heck, you were probably named in a couple and didnt know it:D

The Irvine company allowed leasing of alot of thier land. They just closed Wild Rivers Water Park when they decided they wanted to sell the land, nothing could be done, I participated in some save the park online deals but in the end Wild Rivers knew it was coming and had gottan several extenstions granted as the Irvine company knew they wanted to sell but wasnt really ready to do so and allowed them to stay open. El Toro could of been a great location when it closed, but I havent been on that base since the 1980s so I have no idea whats been done with all that land. The Helicopted base has build houses all over the land, but kept the cool hangers for the communitys use, which is cool.

The Irvine Corp. wanted the land at and around OCIR to build a big industrial park. They had quite a surprise though, when they found out the water table was so high that they could only build one story buildings. OCIR's revenge!

If you're referring to the "riot" during a Fox Hunt, I don't remember anyone being killed and I was stuck in the tower until 3am. Every window in the tower was broken and my son was hiding under his father's desk. Quite scary and totally out of hand.

The land at the helicopter base will never be built on due to contamination. El Toro has a lot of the samr problems.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back