Randy Goodwin (1 Viewer)

Randy
WOW!! So glad the damage was not worse...
I will always check the tires before warm-up from now on...
The bleach box has always been a turn and cover for me...
Who'da thunk, on warm-up... Never had an issue... I WILL double check from now on... Again, WOW!!

Holy cow, what a scare that must've been! It's good to hear that it wasn't any worse, sounds like it could've been disastrous. Stories like this make me glad I switched to Oakley for my eyewear. What brand of glasses were you wearing at the time?

What brand of glasses were you wearing at the time?

Now that's a good question. I won't wear my Oakleys at the race track because I don't want to lose or break them. Dumb answer for sure.

If only JJ would have warned me....wait...I think he did.

We have a box full of safety glasses that wrap around your eyes and face. Anyone who came by my pit after Friday night got a look-see at them attached to my head.

I am now the official self designated crash test dummie for cheap sunglasses and a prime example of why you should not wear them.:eek: :cool:

RG

Wow, you're damn lucky! I've never had anything fly up and hit me in the eye but I once got poked by a twig while out hiking near Mount St. Helens. It didn't hurt my eye but it was enough that it tore my contact. :eek:

A local guy here in Portland runs a performance motorcycle shop and does all sorts of hours on his dyno. He's gotten a couple nasty bruises from little tiny parts hitting that drum spinning @ 150+ mph. Makes you wonder what it would do to an eye instead of a leg like he's had happen.

You are one lucky guy my friend. I make eyeglass lenses for a living. There is no such thing as a shatterproof lens. Ask your eye doctor for a pair of industrial safety glasses. They make some pretty fashionable frames for safety glasses these days. Make sure that the lenses are polycarbonate (no CR39 plastic or glass) and have side shields. Poly is the most shatter-resistant lens material there is. The lenses will be a minimum of 2mm thick in the center (per ANSI Z87.2) and provide excellent protection.

I'd recommend them to any of you who spend lots of time doing anything that could be harmful to your eyes, and especially to the ones who've had Lasik.

And now I've done my good deed for the day! :D

Bob

Last edited:
Thanks, Bob.

I just spoke to Dave Kommel from Auto Imagery and he's decided safety glasses are now a must whiles't shooting pic's on the starting line.

RG

Thanks, Bob.

I just spoke to Dave Kommel from Auto Imagery and he's decided safety glasses are now a must whiles't shooting pic's on the starting line.

RG

Glad to hear Randy. People tend to take their eyes for granted (myself included) until something like that happens. And the safety glasses don't have to be the big, dorky looking ones that they pass out to visitors for factory tours. Like I said, they make some fairly nice safety frames and you can get almost any sort of lenses you like, including polarized or regular tinted lenses (just make sure they are polycarbonate).

I've worn my Oakley's under all daytime conditions for years and had thought about getting something to wear at night, but this has definitely pushed me harder in that direction.

Most of you who go to the races know my buddy Torch and may know that he has a Torchwear line of welding and associated products available now. One of his premier products is a line of safety glasses manufactured by Oakley exclusively for Torchwear. They are available in clear or high-intensity yellow, meet or exceed all ANSI standards and you can wear them without looking like Dilbert. You can also count on the legendary Oakley optical clarity, something you won't find in many other safety glasses.

Torchwear.com is undergoing bypass surgery right now, but should be back online by the weekend.

If you're like me and gotta have a pair right now, call 800-479-7165 and ask for Leo.

Randy got lucky. One of us may not. Look for me to be wearing my Torchwear safety glasses this week in Gainesville....

Last edited:
I've worn my Oakley's under all daytime conditions for years and had thought about getting something to wear at night, but this has definitely pushed me harder in that direction.

Most of you who go to the races know my buddy Torch and may know that he has a Torchwear line of welding and associated products available now. One of his premier products is a line of safety glasses manufactured by Oakley exclusively for Torchwear. They are available in clear or high-intensity yellow, meet or exceed all ANSI standards and you can wear them without looking like Dilbert. You can also count on the legendary Oakley optical clarity, something you won't find in many other safety glasses.

Torchwear.com is undergoing bypass surgery right now, but should be back online by the weekend.

If you're like me and gotta have a pair right now, call 800-479-7165 and ask for Leo.

Randy got lucky. One of us may not. Look for me to be wearing my Torchwear safety glasses this week in Gainesville....

I learn something new everyday. Thanks for the info Dave. Here's a link to the glasses on Torchwear's shop page. Will say that it sucks you can't get them straight from Torchwear with sun lenses, but as long as the frame is stamped Z87.1 or Z87.2, you should be able to have polycarbonate sun lenses made for them that are ANSI approved.

Nice video of their impact testing, Dave. That's good stuff. I hope I didn't imply that Oakley didn't make any ANSI approved eyewear. I was just pointing out that the frame/lens package available from Torchwear wasn't available with sun lenses that were ANSI approved. Without further stoking the fires though, I wonder if the Oakley eyewear shown in the impact testing vids have undergone the necessary testing to become ANSI approved safety eyewear (i.e. stamped with the Z87.1/Z87.2 standard). If not, they should! They would seriously challenge Wiley X as they are the manufacturer I see the most when making nice looking safety eyewear.

...and nailed our dear friend Bob in the head.

He was okay and back at the track, but with a bunch of stitches.

Took us forever to get some medical help, and then instead of an ambulence, they sent a golf cart, then realized they needed an ambulence.

It was quite the ordeal.
It wouldn't have been so bad if Bob had as much hair on his head as he has on his chin... LOL

Glad Randy is okay... that could have been very bad! A good advertisement for eye protection in all instances.

If you are interested the torchwear site is back up...check out the safety glasses. www.torchwear.com

...so then my polarized Gascan's do offer me some type of protection when I'm working on the race car or mowing my grass???

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back