What I did last weekend story (Made famous by Rapid Randy) (1 Viewer)

Just Paul

Nitro Member
First off, this may be boring as hell, so I'm just letting you know before hand. :D

I've been waiting a long time to take a car down the drag strip. I know, if I wanted to go race my mini van (stop laughing) or my daily driver I could, but I wanted to be in something a little quicker then that.

I found a mint 1996 Z28 Camaro last week, bought it and told the wife I was going racing this weekend!!

Long story short, the weather went from highs in the 80's down to highs in the 50's within 1 day!

I drove over to Grove Creek, the local 1/8 mile. Raceday started out at a balmy 41 degrees (see time slip). There was a slight delay for freezing rain, but then after I got signed up and went through tech it was time to hit the track! Test and Tune time.

Well I could see/hear cars having traction troubles, but I thought my car would be OK since it was just a stock Z28 and might only run 8.9-9.2 in the 1/8 on a good day.

I drove around the water box since I just had regular street tires, and gave them a little chirp. The guy next to me had slicks and did a monster burnout. I waited for him to finish and we pulled up. Of course then my glasses and visor fogged over. Flip the visor open and search for the pre stage. He pre-staged first, I was right behind him. He then staged first, I was right there. Tree came down, and I thought I nailed it pretty good! Just that second the tires came loose a little bit and the traction control kicked on. Damn! I forgot to turn it off before the run. In this car, it closes the throttle, and pulses the rear brakes to keep the rear wheels the same speed as the front wheels. Well I kept in it, but the traction control just kept staying on. As you can see, the 60' time was very horse and buggy like LOL. Well I let off and then put it back to 3/4 throttle just to get it moving before I put it down all the way. About the 330 I put it down and it was fine the rest of the way. I drove it way out the back door just for kicks and made the turn off.

Down to the time slip booth to grab my first ticket. Reaction time .220 oops!! I thought it was better then that. :eek:

In the end, a slow 11.22 at 71 mph. Not what I was wanting, but it was good just to make a pass, and I didn't hold the other guy up or roll the beams like I have seen some rookies do. I drove right back down to the lanes for another pass, but just as I got there, the freezing rain came back and we were done for the day.

Hopefully I can get out 2 more times before the snow comes, weather permitting.

Timeslip.jpg

Parked with my good friend and fellow Mater member Chris Anderson's trailer/motorhome.

560818_10152180011865354_976728497_n.jpg

Last edited:
Cool when you finally do it, isn't it? Problem is, now you'll never get the needle out of your arm, and finding ways to go quicker/faster will consume you...:D

I still remember my first pass down a drag strip like it was yesterday (31 years ago, actually). I'm sure the excitement I felt was similar to yours. It really is a disease. :)

Cool when you finally do it, isn't it? Problem is, now you'll never get the needle out of your arm, and finding ways to go quicker/faster will consume you...:D

X3 :)

Great job Paul!!! Excellent car: 4th Gen Z w/an automatic.

1) Because of the T-tops, ya need sub-frame connectors,
2) K&N intake kit,
3) good cat-back set up. Headers are good but are a pain to install.
4)Chip or programmer.
5) etc........................

Hey we can live thru you and spend your money too!!! :D

Enjoy!!! :)

X3 :)

Great job Paul!!! Excellent car: 4th Gen Z w/an automatic.

1) Because of the T-tops, ya need sub-frame connectors,
2) K&N intake kit,
3) good cat-back set up. Headers are good but are a pain to install.
4)Chip or programmer.
5) etc........................

Hey we can live thru you and spend your money too!!! :D

Enjoy!!! :)

K&N Intake, and Cat Back is my first step!

Great story, keep at it, and good luck.:)
Also keep us informed on your progress and leave on second bulb.

Congrats on yer first pass!!! :cool: Leave yer $$ in the bank. Enjoy the car the way it is, have a blast.
As far as the .222rt, no worry, you'll do better. But it does make ya respect those "tree killers" with their double O lights huh?? ;)
Do keep us posted next time out.

Good stuff Paul!!!

PS Rapid Randy has burned A LOT of nitro since we got our last "What I did Last Weekend Report". Been too long.

That's awesome, it's definitely a thrill. I used to travel a lot for business, usually alone, so on Sundays I would go race my rental cars, that was a hoot. I agree, just leave the car like it is and go run the heck out of it. Spend your efforts trying to win with it like it is.

Paul, how long til the Z28 is tubbed out, sporting wheelie bars, and has a couple four barrels sticking out of the hood?

Great story, and it wasn't boring at all. I'll be interested to hear more.

With all the BS, back biting etc. that goes on here, this thread is a breath of fresh air. WTG Paul!:D

My first pass was a 15.40 in a Volkswagen at Tucson Dragway in the late 70's with some guy named Alan Reinhart announcing in the booth.

Good job Paul, like the others said, the die is cast now.
Now it a matter of how fast do you want to pay?
:D

Congrats Paul, you cleared that 1st time hump now to clear that wallet out lol. I do highly recommend sub frame connectors. Makes the car much tighter.

Update.

Went to a 1/4 mile track today. MUCH better results. First light was .041 and we were good from there pretty much. Car was hooking good for street tires.

For the 3rd and final time trial, there was a $5.00 buy in for closest to the dial with 80% pay back.

I made one run that was a 14.28 but all the others were 14.30-14.34

Long story short, I put a 14.30 on the window. My first ever dial-in pass on a drag strip.

PerfectTime.jpg

Holy crap!! Dead on with a zero!! :eek:

I made it to the semi final but was a bit tardy with a .112 and then broke out 14.279 on a 14.280 dial. :eek:

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back