Pro stock tv coverage (1 Viewer)

"Sources inside the push to get Toyota involved in Pro Stock have confirmed the manufacturer has zero interest in this style of racing. The 500-inch engine platform just isn't conducive to the business model, the same sources confirm."

Or..........they have zero interest in getting their a$$es kicked every weekend.

I may be wrong on this, but I didn't think they even had a pushrod V8 when they began their foray into Cup racing. Either way, they slammed something together to get into Cup because (A) they knew the viewership was there, and (B) they knew that within reason, no matter how good they ran, Cup is over-regulated to the point of ensuring that the cars WILL run close enough together that with a good driver, they will contend each week.

I don't believe for a second that their choice to avoid Pro Stock in favor of Cup has jack to do with "the 500-inch platform".

Sean D

Last edited:
Based on my take of Toyota, if they thought they could be competitive and have a ROI they would be in.

Based on my take of Toyota, if they thought they could be competitive and have a ROI they would be in.
Exactly. A few years ago, I remember reading that TRD spent $250,000,000 (yes, 250 million) exploring whether or not it would be worth it to them to develop cars to race F1. If they thought they could profit from investing in a Pro Stock program, they would be there.

Exactly. A few years ago, I remember reading that TRD spent $250,000,000 (yes, 250 million) exploring whether or not it would be worth it to them to develop cars to race F1. If they thought they could profit from investing in a Pro Stock program, they would be there.

Toyota raced in F1 as a full-fledged constructor for 8 seasons (2002-2009). They spent over 2 billion dollar (plus 100s of millions of sponsor dollars) and never won a race.

Coverage: It would help the producers more if the other 14 cars in the field would step up. The Summit domination is a well earned product, but it's just not good tv. Team Summit is not at fault. Others need to step up to create a interesting product for tv masses.

Or..........they have zero interest in getting their a$$es kicked every weekend.

I may be wrong on this, but I didn't think they even had a pushrod V8 when they began their foray into Cup racing. Either way, they slammed something together to get into Cup because (A) they knew the viewership was there, and (B) they knew that within reason, no matter how good they ran, Cup is over-regulated to the point of ensuring that the cars WILL run close enough together that with a good driver, they will contend each week.

I don't believe for a second that their choice to avoid Pro Stock in favor of Cup has jack to do with "the 500-inch platform".

Sean D

The 500inch deal has everything to do with it!!! Thats why most manufacturers are staying away from PS because there is no technology there! Hello! And yes if Toyota thought there would be ROI they would be in PS just like any other manufacturer. Why would Toyota spend a dime to develop a 500 inch PS engine when there is zero interest and no coverage of PS? I dont see GM sticking around for much longer either.

And yes if Toyota thought there would be ROI they would be in PS just like any other manufacturer. Why would Toyota spend a dime to develop a 500 inch PS engine when there is zero interest and no coverage of PS?

Ummmmmm................that's what I was saying, Wayne. The manufacturers are interested in sales, period. Not where they can go play with the latest technology.

The viewership in NHRA is so far in the rearview mirror when compared to Cup, and those viewership numbers are what sales people look at. As has been discussed on this, and virtually every drag racing forum on earth, Pro Stock was never the reason the masses show up to NHRA national events, and that won't change even if NHRA changes Pro Stock to what everybody THINKS they should change it to. There will always be the niche crowd that loves the class, but the people that make up the mass majority of viewership are there for the thunder.

If our sport carried the kind of popularity that Cup racing does, they would be here developing a 500" motor, just like they did with the motor they developed for Cup.

Sean D

It doesn't help when you basically have one model of car making up the entire field and the same people win all the time.

PS should be called Camaro Pro Stock. I don't mind if the same people win as long as they are competing against other makes of cars. That was always the attraction, for me anyway, to this class. The competition between the manufacturers. If someone is dominating, so be it. But when it's 95% Camaros, where's the excitement?

Coverage: It would help the producers more if the other 14 cars in the field would step up. The Summit domination is a well earned product, but it's just not good tv. Team Summit is not at fault. Others need to step up to create a interesting product for tv masses.
I agree ^.

I have given up on P/S because I know the foregone conclusion that those same 2 cars are gonna win every weekend.

In another website, Greg Anderson said that he would like to see other manufacturers in Pro Stock and stated that the motor no matter what the manufacturer were basically the same but inferred that it was a lack of effort by the competitors was the reason they did not succeed. I posted the following to Greg's article;
Greg, Please put Summit's money where your mouth is. Instead of racing the current 3 car Pro Camaro team, how about a Summit team with one Chevy, one Ford, and Chrysler then Summit could sell all the parts and pieces needed to run these cars to other racers and we would have a more interesting Pro Stock class instead of Pro Camaro class. After all "you should be able to make one of those run just as well as the other." Larry Morgan is right, Pro Stock is dying. P.S. I am a Chevy guy who is just tired of the Camaro parade.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back