Pro Stock testing... (1 Viewer)

Don't forget....WJ was working on the DRCE stage 5 block I believe while KB racing is/was using the DRCE 3 or 4 block.
Jason Line stated that WJ is a few steps ahead of them w/ that block.
I don't think WJ is as hungry for success like he used to be..

Well whatever WJ has been working on, if he gets it right, he may be back to having a pizza before he leaves. I wouldn't count him out.

The fact is...no one gets from 'A' to 'B' better than the Summit cars. That's the combination to chase.

For the record, I don't consider myself a fan of either Summit driver, but I do respect their ability to field the best cars in the class. Statistics don't lie.

Jackee...I respect your opinions and perspective. Your posts are always fair and objective. That's what makes the new & improved Mater the best site on the super highway...fair and balanced communication.

And nobody spends more MONEY!!!!!!!!!

And nobody spends more MONEY!!!!!!!!!

Probably true Kevin. I remember when Bob Glidden was at the height of his dominance, his chassis builder told me (directly) that Bob had the biggest budget of any Pro Stock team out there.

My guess is that the most dominant teams have always had the best funding. I remember when WJ tested more than anybody else, and his competitors complained that they didn't have the budget to test like WJ.

History will prove that you can't compete at the highest level without significant funding.

IMHO, Team KB is spending plenty of money but I would also bet that it is on par with several other teams. Remember its not how much you spend, but how smart you spend it. And I also believe that WJ has the power to run with them boys as does Stanfield.

On a side note, Greg and Warren have both been very helpful to me personally and I am very appreciative of them for it.

Michael

IMHO, Team KB is spending plenty of money but I would also bet that it is on par with several other teams. Remember its not how much you spend, but how smart you spend it.
Michael

I'll bet you're right Michael. I doubt the the funding of the top teams is that different. Every top team in the last 20 years has been accused of having the most money, and the additional funding was their advantage. If that were true, those top teams from 20 years ago would still be the top teams today, and that's obvioulsy not happening. Glidden doesn't race any more, WJ isn't a Top 10 competitor, and former class winners from that day aren't even competing.

I still remember Jim Yates telling me at Topeka that just making the field (qualifying) was the biggest challenge...and he had a #1 on his window when he told me that!!!

Pro Stock is the toughest class out there, and money obviously isn't the answer...it's what you do with what you have.

Probably true Kevin. I remember when Bob Glidden was at the height of his dominance, his chassis builder told me (directly) that Bob had the biggest budget of any Pro Stock team out there.

I will not only bet you this is incorrect, I will allow you to make the bet. Never was there a sponsor of the belief, Bob Glidden just put everything he had into his livelyhood. How would ones chassis builder have any idea of their sponsorship dollars? He said she said hooey!:rolleyes: BG

Don't forget....WJ was working on the DRCE stage 5 block I believe while KB racing is/was using the DRCE 3 or 4 block.
Jason Line stated that WJ is a few steps ahead of them w/ that block.
I don't think WJ is as hungry for success like he used to be..

Terry, you are getting ahead of things with that statement about the DRCE engines. WJ has only been running the DRCE3 block (& heads?) vs. everyone else sticking with the DRCE2 block. There is no such thing (yet) as a DRCE5 but GM is working on the DRCE4 block already. Here is a link to a very good article from Aug 2006 in DRO about the DRCE3 block and WJ vs. everyone else.

I will not only bet you this is incorrect, I will allow you to make the bet. Never was there a sponsor of the belief, Bob Glidden just put everything he had into his livelyhood. How would ones chassis builder have any idea of their sponsorship dollars? He said she said hooey!:rolleyes: BG

Now Bill,
How can you dispute information derived from a chassis builder (directly) when you only grew up working on these with your father and participated in the family business first hand?

Now Bill,
How can you dispute information derived from a chassis builder (directly) when you only grew up working on these with your father and participated in the family business first hand?
Your right, I am very sorry. hehehe!! I guess I will just go back to my hole and speculate like everyone else does, how about that dsr prostock team?? BG

Now Bill,

Well, let's see. The year was 1988 when I was told this, and I'm guessing that the chassis builder knew more about funding teams back then than a young son would. Just a guess...

Well, let's see. The year was 1988 when I was told this, and I'm guessing that the chassis builder knew more about funding teams back then than a young son would. Just a guess...

Wow. Just wow. You make it sound like Billy was some punk kid under everyone's feet in 1988.

Let's see now... 1988, I believe that would've made Bill about 24 and, if I understand things correctly, fully involved in his father's racing operation.

I think there are better questions like a) How the hell would a chassis builder know the total dollars involved in Bob's operation? b) Why would Bob share the numbers when he was categorically secretive about EVERYTHING else?

Nothing personal John, but I'll take Bill's word over yours.

I'm not sure I understand why that statement would be controversial? If someone is believed to have top level funding, wouldn't that be a compliment to the abilities of that team to acquire those dollars? I remember being PROUD of Bob for achieving that level of support back then. I loved watching him put the GM cars on the trailer back then.

Here's what I remember....Warren and Bob had big 18-wheelers with work shops and a row of extra motors inside them back in the 80's. Their competitors were (mostly) still using gooseneck trailers, with very little equipment and dually pickups to pull them. Warren and Bob out-worked every one in the class, were waaaay ahead of their competitors, and had the funding to be so.

I think that's a GREAT thing...

Wow. Just wow. You make it sound like Billy was some punk kid under everyone's feet in 1988.

Let's see now... 1988, I believe that would've made Bill about 24 and, if I understand things correctly, fully involved in his father's racing operation.

I think there are better questions like a) How the hell would a chassis builder know the total dollars involved in Bob's operation? b) Why would Bob share the numbers when he was categorically secretive about EVERYTHING else?

Nothing personal John, but I'll take Bill's word over yours.

Damn.....Billy's 43? Man, do I feel old!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back