Pro Stock testing... (2 Viewers)

And the shots just keep coming!

I thought you'd like that...just kidding. Until someone reaches the wins and championships that Warren has, he'll continue to be The Professor.

It does appear that Greg Anderson is well on his way to accomplishing what Warren has. Greg has done it during an era of far more parity...those Summit cars are machines!

If all goes as last year then how soon before we see a post about so n so going 215mph and a low 6 40. I mean isn't this testing??LOL
last year it was EE car without her in it. This year it might be Jay Leno doing the driving---LOL
and let the silly season begin

I certainly don't have any thing against WJ, but given his history of arrogance it's easy to see why people would take a shot at him on message boards. For instance, on TV interviews he used to call the Dodge Pro Stockers "Jeeps"...now that the Dodges are faster than his car I wonder what he's calling them now? That's NOT a shot on my part...just an observation...

As we all know, Drag Racing is a humbling sport. It's almost impossible to reach the top, and even tougher to stay there. The Snake is famous for saying....'never, ever bet on a drag race'.

Trust me, John, WJ came up with that nickname for the same reason he wouldn't stage against Geoffrion years ago in Gainesville. It has nothing to
his personal feelings regarding Scott or Mopar and everything to do with stirring up some interest from the fans.

WJ is not nearly as crusty as some of his interviews would have you believe and a whole lot more aware of promoting the class.

If all goes as last year then how soon before we see a post about so n so going 215mph and a low 6 40. I mean isn't this testing??LOL
last year it was EE car without her in it. This year it might be Jay Leno doing the driving---LOL
and let the silly season begin
good point, this is only testing , im sure the rules are bent a little to make an understatement. the mopar fans are dancing in the streets already! and going faster than w.j? fast doesnt win championships. wj is and will always be the man in pro stock for what hes done for this class. silly testing season is up and runnig :D

Trust me, John, WJ came up with that nickname for the same reason he wouldn't stage against Geoffrion years ago in Gainesville. It has nothing to
his personal feelings regarding Scott or Mopar and everything to do with stirring up some interest from the fans.

WJ is not nearly as crusty as some of his interviews would have you believe and a whole lot more aware of promoting the class.

I'm sure you're right...he sure did light a fire with his feud with Scott...and we still remember it. I love a nice heated rivalry...it is good for the class.

I'm sure you're right...he sure did light a fire with his feud with Scott...and we still remember it. I love a nice heated rivalry...it is good for the class.

absolutly. those fueds between w.j and the wayne county boys were awesome! we need more like that again!

There was no feud between WJ and Scott,a staging duel maybe but a feud? When Scott died,WJ and especially KJ were deeply hurt and sadened by his death. I was in WJ's pit @ Atlanta a few years ago when he beat GA in the final,Scott came over and was having a ball with WJ. I'm just telling you the way it was and still is.

absolutly. those fueds between w.j and the wayne county boys were awesome! we need more like that again!

I'm sure something will come up again, sooner or later.

Remember, in WJ's (and also my) generation the work "punk" was simply a mild poke at someone a bit wet behind the ears (gee, another dusty old saying!) and had nothing to do with sexual orientation as it seems to today.

Hmm, WJ taking a tongue in cheek jab at a youngster who's a killer on the tree? People who were up in arms when it referred to Connolly must have already forgotten about Scott.

I'm tellin' ya, there's often a ulterior motive behind WJ's "surliness". But then again, I guess sometimes he's just a grouchy old man.

I'm sure something will come up again, sooner or later.

Remember, in WJ's (and also my) generation the work "punk" was simply a mild poke at someone a bit wet behind the ears (gee, another dusty old saying!) and had nothing to do with sexual orientation as it seems to today.

Hmm, WJ taking a tongue in cheek jab at a youngster who's a killer on the tree? People who were up in arms when it referred to Connolly must have already forgotten about Scott.

I'm tellin' ya, there's often a ulterior motive behind WJ's "surliness". But then again, I guess sometimes he's just a grouchy old man.
I don't remember who posted this pic originally but it cracked me up big time! :D

warrenvw2.jpg

We got there too late to see or make any passes Friday. Everyone was gone except WJ. We were trying to test a customer car, but had a minor glitch which prevented any test passes, so Muddy and I strolled around to WJ's hauler where the crew is working on the car. We were standing at least a pit stall away when some nerd in a WJ uniform comes over and asks us to stand back behind the car. We're Pro Mod guys and a 500 inch motor doesn't really get my heart pounding if you know what I mean, (Yeah, I know it's the "GREAT ONE'S" Pro Stocker), but they were the only other ones there and we were just killing time. My first reaction was to tell him to **** off, but Valdosta is WJ's favorite test track and we're just a bunch of second class ADRL racers so I just said, "Hell, you can have the whole damn place if you need it", and left. I've always admired WJ's "take no prisoners" attitude, but the whole thing was slightly ridiculous.

Terry, I know it seems like we are just being rude when we ask people to stand at the rear of the car to watch, but you have to realize the amount of work that goes into our engines and our whole operation for that mater. We cannot chance someone taking a photo of something that could be leaked to another team. From the engine stand point we do not have the luxury of just changing blower pulleys or just adding more nitrous to get more power, our power only comes from countless hours of hard work and time away from our families not to mention the hundreds of thousands of dollars that we have invested in finding just five more horsepower. As far as a 500 inch engine not getting your "heart pounding", if a naturally aspirated pushrod V-8 making in excess of 2.75 horsepower per cubic inch and turning over 10,000 RPM does not do it for you, you may want to see a doctor to make sure you are still alive. Then again as I have seen people usually do not like things that they cannot understand.

Sounds like a fair response to me... As far as the professor picture, I saved that on my PC too...

Sounds like a fair response to me... As far as the professor picture, I saved that on my PC too...

I saved it to my pictures,copied it a CD,took the CD to Kinko's,they enlarged it and now I have a picture to frame for the wall. Isn't this computer thing fun?:D

Terry, I know it seems like we are just being rude when we ask people to stand at the rear of the car to watch, but you have to realize the amount of work that goes into our engines and our whole operation for that mater. We cannot chance someone taking a photo of something that could be leaked to another team. From the engine stand point we do not have the luxury of just changing blower pulleys or just adding more nitrous to get more power, our power only comes from countless hours of hard work and time away from our families not to mention the hundreds of thousands of dollars that we have invested in finding just five more horsepower. As far as a 500 inch engine not getting your "heart pounding", if a naturally aspirated pushrod V-8 making in excess of 2.75 horsepower per cubic inch and turning over 10,000 RPM does not do it for you, you may want to see a doctor to make sure you are still alive. Then again as I have seen people usually do not like things that they cannot understand.

Excellent response Mike and welcome to the Mater. Please know that such a response will meet with mixed reactions and while Terry may not submit to your explanation a large number of us that closely follow Pro Stock, clearly understand the covered intakes, engine blankets, shielding of exotic components, etc. Your class requires an attention to detail that differs greatly from the blown classes and every advantage is sacred if not secret. Lord knows there are other teams doing the very same thing and although many will not understand your practice it's worth the criticism to hold the cards.
Best of luck to both Warren and Kurt's teams in the future and don't be a stranger here! See you in Pomona!

Great reply, Mike! You and Bobby are absolutely correct in your assessment of the need for secrecy in P/S racing and I understand that. But WJ had just walked by and nodded to us and went on, never said a word. Hood scoop was on the car, rocker rocker arm covers were on and most of the maintenance was underneath the car. Frankly, if you put Larry Morgan's engine beside WJ's, I wouldn't know the difference if it wasn't for the plug locations. I guess I oughta be flattered that they thought I looked astute enough to know a "secret" when I saw one. As far as 2.75 hp per cubic inch and 10,000 rpm, that's nothing to an F1 engine and that ain't my cup of tea either. Anyway.... open test session, no roped off areas, no cameras, kept our distance from the car, I just didn't think it was a big deal...my bad. I guess I'm just too used to the ADRL, where we stop what we're doing to help you if you need it.(Well, some of us do, anyway.) BTW Mike, are you with WJ? I think we all know Bobby. Good luck to everyone and have a safe season!

Terry

Last edited:
Great reply, Mike! You and Bobby are absolutely correct in your assessment of the need for secrecy in P/S racing and I understand that. But WJ had just walked by and nodded to us and went on, never said a word. Hood scoop was on the car, rocker rocker arm covers were on and most of the maintenance was underneath the car. Frankly, if you put Larry Morgan's engine beside WJ's, I wouldn't know the difference if it wasn't for the plug locations. I guess I oughta be flattered that they thought I looked astute enough to know a "secret" when I saw one. As far as 2.75 hp per cubic inch and 10,000 rpm, that's nothing to an F1 engine and that ain't my cup of tea either. Anyway.... open test session, no roped off areas, no cameras, kept our distance from the car, I just didn't think it was a big deal...my bad. I guess I'm just too used to the ADRL, where we stop what we're doing to help you if you need it.(Well, some of us do, anyway.) BTW Mike, are you with WJ? I think we all know Bobby. Good luck to everyone and have a safe season!

Terry

Mike is indeed a crewman for WJ. The need for secrecy is a must for any class,I know of a guy who stands @ the fence next to staging and his deal is to take pictures of the T/F cars as they roll to the line. You NEVER know who's looking.

Last edited:
anyone ever take a look around the Greg Anderson / Jason Line pit. almost the entire car is covered from front to back with a blanket.

jf

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back