Pray for Eric Medlen!!! (1 Viewer)

For Immediate Release
MEDLEN REMAINS IN CRITICAL CONDITION WITH CLOSED HEAD INJURY

GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Funny Car driver Eric Medlen, injured in a testing accident Monday at Gainesville Raceway, remained in critical condition Tuesday in intensive care at Shands at the University of Florida medical center.

According to Medlen’s father, John, doctors are continuing to work to reduce pressure and swelling from what has been characterized as a severe closed head injury suffered when the 33-year-old’s car crashed heavily into the guardwall.

“We would ask everyone to keep Eric and his family in their prayers while at the same time respecting their need for privacy in this very difficult time,” said Kelly Antonelli, a spokesperson for John Force Racing, Inc.

“Obviously, our primary concern is for Eric’s health,” Antonelli said, “but we also are aware of erroneous information that has been posted on various internet sites and, unfortunately, that has been a source of additional pain for the family.

“To address that issue, we will continue to provide daily medical updates authorized by the family and the medical staff here at Shands.”

Thoughts and prayers for Eric.

Chris Andrews
Andrews Racing Transmissions, Inc.
ColoradoDragRacing.com

This is terrible news.

On the positive side -

1. I spent 5 days in the trauma ICU at Shands UF, in 'critical', in 1997 after an over the wall top end TF crash. At the time I had a traumatic head injury.

2. Shands is an outstanding facility with experience in race car crashes. Although this is a terrible thing he is fortunate to have been close to such a Hospital.

3. From my experience they will keep him intubated for some time, maybe weeks. In this time they will not know the extent of his brain injuries - so there will be no point in anyone else guessing about it.

4. The night of my crash they told my family on numerous occassions that I was done. After I made it through the first few days, in the weeks that followed, they told my mom that I might have any level of cognitive injury and not to expect much but hope for complete recovery. They also told my family that I had permanent orthopedic injuries that would severely limit my ability to walk/run/excersise/race/etc.

5. A couple of weeks later I woke up. My right leg was torn up pretty good but my mind was fine as ever. I have had no permanent issues from my head injury. My legs are still a little sore from time to time but thats a small price to pay. I am 99% recovered from my crash and that 1% is a needed reminder about racecars, life, and God. I qualified in Top Fuel at the Gatornationals in 2004(?).

My point is that there is every reason to be positive that things can work out OK in Medlens favor. I feel for his John and his family as right now it will be harder on them than it is for Eric. Also, all of the cards and notes I received from fans were helpful, I still have many of them.

GodSpeed and be positive. - Topping

This is terrible news.

On the positive side -

1. I spent 5 days in the trauma ICU at Shands UF, in 'critical', in 1997 after an over the wall top end TF crash. At the time I had a traumatic head injury.

2. Shands is an outstanding facility with experience in race car crashes. Although this is a terrible thing he is fortunate to have been close to such a Hospital.

3. From my experience they will keep him intubated for some time, maybe weeks. In this time they will not know the extent of his brain injuries - so there will be no point in anyone else guessing about it.

4. The night of my crash they told my family on numerous occassions that I was done. After I made it through the first few days, in the weeks that followed, they told my mom that I might have any level of cognitive injury and not to expect much but hope for complete recovery. They also told my family that I had permanent orthopedic injuries that would severely limit my ability to walk/run/excersise/race/etc.

5. A couple of weeks later I woke up. My right leg was torn up pretty good but my mind was fine as ever. I have had no permanent issues from my head injury. My legs are still a little sore from time to time but thats a small price to pay. I am 99% recovered from my crash and that 1% is a needed reminder about racecars, life, and God. I qualified in Top Fuel at the Gatornationals in 2004(?).

My point is that there is every reason to be positive that things can work out OK in Medlens favor. I feel for his John and his family as right now it will be harder on them than it is for Eric. Also, all of the cards and notes I received from fans were helpful, I still have many of them.

AMEN!!!!!!!!

This is terrible news.

On the positive side -

Thank you so kindly for posting that
It shows that positive thoughts (as I like to call vibes) are the best we as fans and friends can offer, and they truly make a difference

Marhsall, thanks for the post. That was one terrible weekend in Gainesville. 3 people got taken out by air in 2 days. I was at that event, and have your run on video. Terrible crash.

Glad you are doing ok.

Eric will pull through this. Got to think positive.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Eric's fam and friends.

Mike

Marhsall, thanks for the post. That was one terrible weekend in Gainesville. 3 people got taken out by air in 2 days. I was at that event, and have your run on video. Terrible crash.

Glad you are doing ok.

Paul, I'm pretty sure you are talking about Keith Stark and Al Hoffman. Each recovered and raced again. Lets hope for the same in this case.

Marshall is right about Shands Hospital. I've lived in Fl. for over 30 years and Shands is a teaching hospital and the only place to go when no one else knows what to do for you. Eric is getting the best care possible...

Thanks for writing what you did Marshall, it brings great comfort at a time like this, especially for Eric's loved ones.

Hang in there Eric, our prayers go out to you.

Never lose hope for miracles still happen every day. Eric has as much a right to them as anyone and I'll be praying for such.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back