Pray for Eric Medlen!!! (1 Viewer)

Situations like this make you realise how little the big things are and how big the little things are... You're in our prayers.

I highly recommend reading Alan's post
http://www.nitromater.com/nhra/5764-medlen-info.html

Lets leave any speculation and he said/I heard tidbits alone for now. I realize its difficult to wait for news but waiting on official press releases from jfr racing, the hospital or the Family is the best option right now.

Spending our energy sending prayers and good thoughts their way is more useful than trying to be the first one to post any "info".

Thank you

The Latest Official Information

UPDATED - 3-21 - 10:38 - Injured NHRA Funny Car driver Eric Medlen survived a delicate, three-hour craniotomy procedure to relive pressure and hemorrhaging Tuesday evening but remained in critical condition Wednesday at Shands at the University of Florida medical center.

Over the next two weeks, the 33-year-old will remain in a drug-induced coma designed to promote healing.

“We consider ourselves fortunate that Eric is in one of the top hospitals in the world for this type of injury and is getting absolutely the best treatment possible,” said John Medlen, Eric’s father and crew chief.

“We want to thank Eric’s friends, fans, sponsors and the entire NHRA drag racing community for their support in this very difficult time for our family,” he said. “We would ask that they continue to remember Eric in their prayers. He’s a fighter, but he has a long battle ahead of him.”

The elder Medlen also asked, for Eric’s sake and the sake of the family, that fans refrain from speculation, especially on the internet, where erroneous information already has been a source of considerable anguish.

Stay tuned to NHRA.com and Torco's CompetitionPlus.com for the official updates. We will only run the official updates on Eric's condition.

Re: erics crash

Yeah, Rick. I was talking to a buddy of mine today at work about Eric's deal and we talked about that indycar/champ car deal. He's still recovering to this day from what I understand, but he's truly a miracle story.

Hopefully Eric's story turns out as well.

Sean D

Here's an update from Cristiano da Matta on his website and it looks like he is doing very well: Cristiano da Matta. Miracles do happen! Stories like Marshall Toppings, and Cristiano da Mattas really do prove that. I do believe that Eric will fight and pull through this, just as they did.

Wow, I haven't been online for a few days -
I hate to see this.

Eric, you are in my prayers along with your family and teammates.

Re: The Latest Official Information

The elder Medlen also asked, for Eric’s sake and the sake of the family, that fans refrain from speculation, especially on the internet, where erroneous information already has been a source of considerable anguish.

Stay tuned to NHRA.com and Torco's CompetitionPlus.com for the official updates. We will only run the official updates on Eric's condition.
With all do respect Bobby, I would suggest that EVERYONE get their information from John Force Racing PERIOD!! Go directly to the source of information... Not Dis-information and Rumor Mills...

Last edited:
The Macluskie household sends their prayers and best wishes as well.

csk022507126.jpg

I know Shands is one of the best in the country for sure. My dad suffered a similar accident about 30 years ago, in some insane big block powered outlaw sprint class that he used to run in. He basically tagged the wall hard in the front and then the rear, bent the car in a U shape and had 2 major impact marks on his shattered helmet. We still have the helmet and it is so spider webbed it looks like somebody shot it with a cannon.

He died twice on the way to the hospital and then once in the emergency room. They told my grandmother that he probably wouldn't make it through the night, but they eventually stablized him. Then they told her if he survived he would probably be a vegetable and unable to take care of himself for the rest of his life. He was in a coma for 2 weeks with a massive closed head injury.

When he woke up he was incoherent and completely paralyzed down his left side. To make a long story short, he gradually rehabilitated over the course of a year. After a year and half he was nearly back to normal, and he was eventually able to finish college and become a doctor. My dad tells this story so much better than I. I barely remember any of it, but I do remember him having massive headaches when I was younger, and every once in a while he's still afflicted with them. He also has these permanent blind spots in his right eye. Other than that, he was able to recover completely.

I guess the point of this long drawn out story is just to remind people that no matter how bad the situation may seem, just try to stay positive and just hope for the best. While the speeds involved with this accident may have been greater than what my dad suffered, the safety gear is light years ahead of what it was 30 years ago, and so is the medical technology. There's really nothing more that we can do other than hope and pray. I liked the encouragement that Marshall's story provided, and I just thought I would share my story as well.

Greg....WOW quite the story! Just goes to show you how amazing the brain is.

I willl be constently praying for Eric and the rest of the Medlen & JFR family. Besides John I pull harder for Eric than any other driver out there... now I'm pulling even harder for a quick and full recovery. Eric is certainly one of a kind, and we all love him... let's all just pray for him now.

Naz

Three days late and three dollars short, but here I am, realizing my busy week is no excuse for not knowing until now this had happened.

A young man named Zackery Lydstedt (CaringBridge - Be There ~ Helping friends and family stay in touch and informed) here in Maple Valley, Wash., provides me hope that Eric will recover.

In the meantime, as I recover from my shock, my thoughts are with Eric. I've been a drag racing fan shy of three years now, so, I've never really seen the kind of nasty accident that throws a driver into such peril. This is kind of hard to wrap my brain around.

NHRA drivers are really some of the greatest people I've ever met and I've met a fair number of people, especially athletes, during my years as a journalist. For this to happen Eric just ... man, I hate to see it.

So, instead, here's a pic I took during the Saturday morning qualifying rounds at the Vegas 2 race in October. It was one of the best weekends of my life. I don't have any other pics of him in the pits because the JFR pits were swarmed and I couldn't get near any of them. It's all I've got, so here you go.

ACDelcoNationalsLV2006058.jpg

I remember meeting Eric at John Force's shop in 2004 and we were talking as if he had know me for years,(Magic) I which Eric all the best and will pray for a quick recovery.

I knew Eric and his dad for many years .... My thoughts and prayers to the Medlen family during this time of sadness.. RIP you will always be in hearts of my family. See you at the top end ...:(

Kevin, I hope that you won't mind me putting this picture on my web site. If you do let me know and I'll take it off.

Thanks in advance
Rich Bailey

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back